-   -   .xsession-errors servicetype (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/476-xsession-errors-servicetype.html)

Paul Cartwright 11-19-2007 11:51 AM

.xsession-errors servicetype

not sure what all this means, should I be worried?

$ tail -50 .xsession-errors
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg-3'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mpeg3'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audip/mp3'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-id3'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg-3'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mpeg3'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audip/mp3'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mpc'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpc'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mpc'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpc'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/ogg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ogg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/ogg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ogg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-flac'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/flac'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-flac'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/flac'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-s3m'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-xm'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-it'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-s3m'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-xm'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-it'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Graphics/ksquirrel.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'image/bmp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Graphics/ksquirrel.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-png'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Graphics/ksquirrel.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-psd'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Graphics/ksquirrel.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-portable-anymap'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Graphics/ksquirrel.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-portable-graymap'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Graphics/ksquirrel.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'image/psd'
Launched ok, pid = 9502
There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are active...

Error: Can't add object reference (probably artsd is already running).
If you are sure it is not already running, remove the relevant files:

/tmp/ksocket-pbc/Arts_SoundServerV2
/tmp/ksocket-pbc/Arts_SoundServer
/tmp/ksocket-pbc/Arts_SimpleSoundServer
/tmp/ksocket-pbc/Arts_PlayObjectFactory
/tmp/ksocket-pbc/Arts_AudioManager

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

"s. keeling" 11-21-2007 02:06 AM

Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com>:
> not sure what all this means, should I be worried?
>
> $ tail -50 .xsession-errors
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
> undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg-3'
> [snip]
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Graphics/ksquirrel.desktop' specifies undefined
> mimetype/servicetype 'image/bmp'
> [snip]
> Launched ok, pid = 9502
> There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are active...
>
> Error: Can't add object reference (probably artsd is already running).
> If you are sure it is not already running, remove the relevant files:
>
> /tmp/ksocket-pbc/Arts_SoundServerV2

Looks to me like your typical spew from KDE and Gnome about confused
library symbols, something tried to use sound and got confused when it
couldn't start the daemon (daemons *ought* already to be running,
shouldn't they?), then something else (reporting again through, or as,
kbuildsyscoca) complained when it tried to do something with bitmaps.

Dump kde? Figure out where the installer failed you? Is any of that
at all interesting in your position? I'd just ignore it and
concentrate on what I can't do with my apps. Once that's solved, the
errors should stop. No, those errors are not worrisome to me.

"Kelly Clowers" 11-21-2007 02:54 AM

On Nov 19, 2007 4:51 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:
> not sure what all this means, should I be worried?
>
> $ tail -50 .xsession-errors
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop' specifies
> undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg-3'
<snip>

kbuildsycoca always complains like that.
(I launch a lot of apps from an xterm, so I see that a lot, and it never hurts)

> Launched ok, pid = 9502
> There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are active...
>
> Error: Can't add object reference (probably artsd is already running).
> If you are sure it is not already running, remove the relevant files:
>
> /tmp/ksocket-pbc/Arts_SoundServerV2
> /tmp/ksocket-pbc/Arts_SoundServer
> /tmp/ksocket-pbc/Arts_SimpleSoundServer
> /tmp/ksocket-pbc/Arts_PlayObjectFactory
> /tmp/ksocket-pbc/Arts_AudioManager

Artsd sucks. Even when I used KDE I always disabled and purged it.
(Artsd can be purged, just leave the library)

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Paul Cartwright 11-21-2007 12:29 PM

On Tue November 20 2007, s. keeling wrote:
> Dump kde? *Figure out where the installer failed you? *Is any of that
> at all interesting in your position? *I'd just ignore it and
> concentrate on what I can't do with my apps. *Once that's solved, the
> errors should stop. *No, those errors are not worrisome to me.

I haven't done anything extra special out of the ordinary, so I was just
concerned that I had done something wrong.
I'd dump KDE, but my wife, a die-hard windows user, complains enough already
that things don't work, and she doesn't like change... I used to use an
alternat window manager when I ran windows, called Litestep. I've tried
gnome, but I got used to the KDE apps, kontact, K3B... what would I want to
change to?