Old 02-05-2008, 04:26 AM
Nate Duehr

Default Accessing a TV adapter via my network

On Jan 31, 2008, at 3:36 AM, Mihira Fernando wrote:

Barry Samuels wrote:
[snip]
I have setup my cardboard computer (it's in a cardboard box) using
an old main board with a 750 MHz Athlon K7 and 768 MB of RAM. I
fitted a PCI ethernet card and a PCI wireless card. There is a 6.5
GB hard drive

[snip]

it would a lot safer to get a proper casing for that. You're looking
at a fire hazard with a cardboard box and those components.

Not to mention throwing small but annoying amounts of RF interference
everywhere... there's probably a cell site technician, ham radio
operator, or similar -- trying to figure out where "that damn noise
source" is.

RF shielding has gotten pretty poor on modern cases, but a cardboard
box takes the cake.

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com

Old 02-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Barry Samuels

On 05/02/08 05:26:58, Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2008, at 3:36 AM, Mihira Fernando wrote:
>
> > Barry Samuels wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> I have setup my cardboard computer (it's in a cardboard box) using
> > [snip]
> >
> > it would a lot safer to get a proper casing for that. You're
> > looking at a fire hazard with a cardboard box and those components.
>

> Not to mention throwing small but annoying amounts of RF interference
> everywhere
>
> RF shielding has gotten pretty poor on modern cases, but a cardboard
> box takes the cake.

I don't intend a cardboard box to be a permanent solution but I've no
intention of buying a case until I know that the whole setup works.

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk

Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Nate Duehr

I don't intend a cardboard box to be a permanent solution but I've no
intention of buying a case until I know that the whole setup works.

Fair enough. Put some shielding around that puppy someday, at
least. :-)

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com

Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Barry Samuels

On 05/02/08 10:13:37, Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2008, at 2:26 AM, Barry Samuels wrote:
>
> > I don't intend a cardboard box to be a permanent solution but I've
> > no intention of buying a case until I know that the whole setup
> > works.

Looks like it's time to get a case.

The Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500 adapter is now installed in my cardboard
computer and I have the MythTV Backend installed on the same machine
and the MythTV Frontend on my normal desktop.

I can now watch and record television - whoopee!

I did have to get an digital signal amplifier for the aerial connection
to the card as I was getting only about a 27% signal strength for BBC1
- one of our strongest channels. For the same channel on our
television, connected to the same aerial socket, we get a signal
strength of around 90%. Perhaps the tuner in the television is more
sensitive than the tuners in the TV adapter. With the amplifier in
place it's now up to 51%.

Having made 3 test recordings I can say that recording works and so
does the scheduling.

Just a bit of tidying up then.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Kevin Mark

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:16:32PM +0000, Barry Samuels wrote:
> On 05/02/08 10:13:37, Nate Duehr wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 5, 2008, at 2:26 AM, Barry Samuels wrote:
> >
> > > I don't intend a cardboard box to be a permanent solution but I've
> > > no intention of buying a case until I know that the whole setup
> > > works.
>
> Looks like it's time to get a case.
Do you have a stuff Beaver around?
http://www.yourpsychogirlfriend.com/beav/
-K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|