Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Andrei Popescu

Default EXT4 File system viewer for Windows 7 pro 64 bit

On Vi, 07 ian 11, 10:50:33, John W Foster wrote:
> I have to use Windows 7 Pro 64 bit for some work I do. i want to know if
> anyone knows of a viewer or file manager that I can install in Windows 7
> 64bit that will allow me to peruse or copy to & from a Debian EXT4 file
> system. I have both on the same machine but ofcourse only run one at a
> time, & when I,m in the Debian system I can do this easily. Microsoft
> simply does not provide such a crossover tool. Any suggestions?
> John

A few years back, when I was still dual-booting I was using a plugin for
Total Commander. It could read/write ext2 and maybe also ext3, which was
new at the time. Maybe it was updated for ext4?

Regards,
Andrei

Old 01-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 10:50:33 -0600, John W Foster wrote:

> I have to use Windows 7 Pro 64 bit for some work I do. i want to know if
> anyone knows of a viewer or file manager that I can install in Windows 7
> 64bit that will allow me to peruse or copy to & from a Debian EXT4 file
> system. I have both on the same machine but ofcourse only run one at a
> time, & when I,m in the Debian system I can do this easily. Microsoft
> simply does not provide such a crossover tool. Any suggestions? John

Google points to "ext2read":

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 PM
John Foster

I have to use Windows 7 Pro 64 bit for some work I do. i want to know if
anyone knows of a viewer or file manager that I can install in Windows 7
64bit that will allow me to peruse or copy to& from a Debian EXT4 file
system. I have both on the same machine but ofcourse only run one at a
time,& when I,m in the Debian system I can do this easily. Microsoft
simply does not provide such a crossover tool. Any suggestions?
John

A few years back, when I was still dual-booting I was using a plugin for
Total Commander. It could read/write ext2 and maybe also ext3, which was
new at the time. Maybe it was updated for ext4?

Regards,
Andrei
Thanks for these tips. It did give me an idea as well. I have something
free commander

that I use from my portable apps drive. I have not tried that. maybe.....

--
John Foster

Archive: 4D27AFD2.3020901@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D27AFD2.3020901@gmail.com

Old 01-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Phil Requirements

On 2011-01-07 18:29:06 -0600, John Foster wrote:
> On 1/7/2011 12:40 PM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >On Vi, 07 ian 11, 10:50:33, John W Foster wrote:
> >>I have to use Windows 7 Pro 64 bit for some work I do. i want to know if
> >>anyone knows of a viewer or file manager that I can install in Windows 7
> >>64bit that will allow me to peruse or copy to& from a Debian EXT4 file
> >>system. I have both on the same machine but ofcourse only run one at a
> >>time,& when I,m in the Debian system I can do this easily. Microsoft
> >>simply does not provide such a crossover tool. Any suggestions?
> >>John
> >A few years back, when I was still dual-booting I was using a plugin for
> >Total Commander. It could read/write ext2 and maybe also ext3, which was
> >new at the time. Maybe it was updated for ext4?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Andrei
> Thanks for these tips. It did give me an idea as well. I have
> something free commander
> that I use from my portable apps drive. I have not tried that. maybe.....

John,

I have a dual-boot Windows/Debian computer, and I use Free Commander
on the Windows installation. I don't think Free Commander will help you
with this problem.

I have mostly given up trying to read ext# from Windows. When I looked into
it, I found the following problems:

1. Most of the solutions were written for ext2. They "might work" for ext3.
I'd _speculate_ that the old solutions would not be able to read ext4.

2. They were "installable file system" solutions, rather than a real part
of the operating system. I'm not an expert at it, but I didn't trust it
at the time. Read more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installable_File_System

3. I think I had trouble even installing these old options on 64-bit Windows.

So I came to the conclusion that this was just a shortcoming of Windows.
I would be happy to know if you found something trustworthy that works.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Klaus Wolf

Hi,

I don`t know about a tool under windows. For this matter I use
a fat32-partition for my files which not use a better security,
as windows allows. The files there I can use from both systems.

best regards and a nice day

klaus

IS YOUR SYSTEM OPEN LIKE GATES? TRY LINUX!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Pablo Sánchez

John , some years ago i used IFS, from http://www.fs-driver.org , it's 32bit but who knows...

It works as an ext2 driver, but worked fine with ext3, although without journaling .

Regards.

Pablo