FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Sthu Deus
 
Default repos for squeeze as a base install.

Good day.

Having made

aptitude -t testing full-upgrade

and therefore having squeeze installed and not lenny any more, what
should my sources.list be pointing to?

- before it was pointing to stable and testing. Now, as I understand,
stable repos as long as it points to lenny, I need not (is it
correct?), and I need no more a testing for testing - meaning testing
for squeeze (the next coming release after squeeze).

So, the only repo I need now is testing, and, may backports for squeeze - is it correct?


Thank You for Your time.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4d244322.017b0e0a.597b.14a6@mx.google.com">http://lists.debian.org/4d244322.017b0e0a.597b.14a6@mx.google.com
 
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 AM
David Jardine
 
Default repos for squeeze as a base install.

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 05:08:16PM +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good day.
>
> Having made
>
> aptitude -t testing full-upgrade
>
> and therefore having squeeze installed and not lenny any more, what
> should my sources.list be pointing to?
>
> - before it was pointing to stable and testing. Now, as I understand,
> stable repos as long as it points to lenny, I need not (is it
> correct?), and I need no more a testing for testing - meaning testing
> for squeeze (the next coming release after squeeze).
>
> So, the only repo I need now is testing, and, may backports for squeeze - is it correct?

Use "squeeze" and you will stay on stable (squeeze) after the upcoming
release. Updates after that will change little on your system (security
updates only).

Use "testing" and you will move (seamlessly) to wheezy (testing) after
the release. Updates will after that will bring newer versions into
your system regularly.

HTH,
David


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110105113151.GA1880@gennes.augarten">http://lists.debian.org/20110105113151.GA1880@gennes.augarten
 
Old 01-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Simon Hollenbach
 
Default repos for squeeze as a base install.

> So, the only repo I need now is testing, and, may backports for squeeze

> - is it correct?

You should comment out the backports repo until squeeze gets stable, AFAIK backports and volatile are only available for the current stable version of Debian.



Regards

Simon
 
Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Sthu Deus
 
Default repos for squeeze as a base install.

Thank You for Your time and answer, Simon:

> You should comment out the backports repo until squeeze gets stable,
> AFAIK backports and volatile are only available for the current
> stable version of Debian.

No. There is backports for squeeze too - to mix up not w/ the backborts
of now stable branch.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4d24cd34.017b0e0a.3dc4.37a3@mx.google.com">http://lists.debian.org/4d24cd34.017b0e0a.3dc4.37a3@mx.google.com
 
Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default repos for squeeze as a base install.

On Mi, 05 ian 11, 12:31:51, David Jardine wrote:
>
> Use "testing" and you will move (seamlessly) to wheezy (testing) after
> the release. Updates will after that will bring newer versions into
> your system regularly.

That depends. Immediately after the release it might pour with (more or
less coordinated) updates. It's probably the most inconsistent period
during the lifetime of a given release. For this reason I recommend
moving from stable to testing only after things have settled down a bit.

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 AM
Greg Madden
 
Default repos for squeeze as a base install.

On Wednesday 05 January 2011 10:57:35 am Sthu Deus wrote:

> No. There is backports for squeeze too - to mix up not w/ the backborts
> of now stable branch.

Are there any packages uploaded to it yet ?
--
Peace,

Greg


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201101051956.59018.gomadtroll@gci.net">http://lists.debian.org/201101051956.59018.gomadtroll@gci.net
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Sthu Deus
 
Default repos for squeeze as a base install.

Thank You for Your time and answer, Greg:

> Are there any packages uploaded to it yet ?

Well. I do not know how to check it. - If You know, show me how - and
I will answer You.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4d26d20f.ca7a0e0a.546b.ffff919f@mx.google.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/4d26d20f.ca7a0e0a.546b.ffff919f@mx.google.com
 
Old 01-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default repos for squeeze as a base install.

On Vi, 07 ian 11, 15:42:49, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Greg:
>
> > Are there any packages uploaded to it yet ?
>
> Well. I do not know how to check it. - If You know, show me how - and
> I will answer You.

Add the repository to your sources.list, update and then use aptitude to
search for packages with the respective origin [~O or
?origin(repository)], but it's simpler to just open the repository in a
browser and look in the pool directory

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Sthu Deus
 
Default repos for squeeze as a base install.

Andrei wrote:

> Add the repository to your sources.list, update and then use aptitude
> to search for packages with the respective origin [~O or
> ?origin(repository)], but it's simpler to just open the repository in

I've got plenty of packages trying w/:

/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/aptitude search ~O backports

or

/usr/bin/aptitude search ~O bpo

I do not believe I understood You correctly though.

> a browser and look in the pool directory

The dir. contains other repos packages mixed - making it impossible to
to discern to which backports version it relates to. - As I understand.

Also, I guess You can try it Yourself, here is the link:

http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4d280e77.ca7a0e0a.546b.ffffc9f3@mx.google.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/4d280e77.ca7a0e0a.546b.ffffc9f3@mx.google.com
 
Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Doug
 
Default repos for squeeze as a base install.

On 01/08/2011 02:12 AM, Sthu Deus wrote:

Andrei wrote:


Add the repository to your sources.list, update and then use aptitude
to search for packages with the respective origin [~O or
?origin(repository)], but it's simpler to just open the repository in

/snip/

Where is this sources list, and where do you find a list of repos to add
to it?

And then how do you make synaptic open the "correct" repo, or does it
combine all the various sources into one humongous list? Sorry to be so
dense, but I've wondered about that for some time now.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4D2813EE.4070107@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D2813EE.4070107@optonline.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org