Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Keith V Stracchino

Default Installation Report, failure to install correctly. How do I identify the Package under which I file my report?

Hello to you,
I have just had my first experience with Debian, an unfortunate one
since it has not installed correctly. The installation appears to
proceed correctly right up to the point where I attempt to enter my
Username into the box on the Debian "Welcome" screen. At that point the
computer system freezes and the only exit is a hard reset and reboot. I
have written a report and enclosed screen shots showing the successive
monitor screens as the system boots and as Debian loads.
However, my report to be sent to reportbug needs me to obey several
format rules, one of which is to identify the package at fault. After
exploring the Debian website it appears that in order to report a
failure to install, I have to have an installed copy of Debian in order
to discover what package I need to report and to format my report
"correctly"! Any help available would be most gratefully received.

Thank you

Archive: 4D23AF41.7030706@yahoo.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D23AF41.7030706@yahoo.com

Old 01-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 05 ian 11, 01:28:04, Simon Hollenbach wrote:
> Hi Keith,
> I assume u clicked ur way through debian.org looking for a CD-Image to download, so I think ur using Debian 'stable' codename Lenny. You have come to us at the time of harvest The new Debian, now 'testing', codename Squeeze is nearly finished, I recommend u download a testing installer and try from there as you will probably want to update to the latest version in a month or so if u dont.
>
> Here's the package you should file a bug against:
> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/debian-installer

From your link:
"This package currently only contains some documentation for the Debian
installer. We welcome suggestions about what else to put in it."

You probably meant this:
http://bugs.debian.org/installation-reports

Regards,
Andrei