Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Long Wind

Default (solved) how to scan a book

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Paul Cartwright

> if you take JPG pictures, you can open up OpenOffice Writer, import the
> JPEGs into a DOC & SAVE-AS PDF..
>
> --

Thank Paul Cartwright !
I'll try Writer later on.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Bob Proulx

Long Wind wrote:
> Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > if you take JPG pictures, you can open up OpenOffice Writer, import the
> > JPEGs into a DOC & SAVE-AS PDF..
>
> Thank Paul Cartwright !
> I'll try Writer later on.

That is a good suggestion. But it sounds tedious to me.

ImageMagick can convert images to pdf files on the command line.

$ convert file1.jpg file1.pdf

And pdftk can concatenate them.

$ pdftk file*.pdf cat output combined.pdf

You can install them with:

$ sudo apt-get install imagemagick pdftk

Bob

Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Simon Hollenbach

> That is a good suggestion.* But it sounds tedious to me.

Im afraid you missed the point. The OP wants to make the images become text. If I did, excuse and correct me pls. Though I dare to say the described method will most likely be not put into practice. Without a trained monkey noone would make me go through this for a book. Well, the images are gonna be created using a digicam, so who knows...

bye

Simon

Old 01-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Paul Cartwright

On 01/04/2011 06:59 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> $ convert file1.jpg file1.pdf

nice, I just tried that on a jpg & it worked great.

> And pdftk can concatenate them.
>
> $ pdftk file*.pdf cat output combined.pdf
>
> You can install them with:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install imagemagick pdftk

I don't have pdftk installed, I think I'll stick with openoffice &
convert. Might be helpful to the OP though!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800