-   -   why is this html looks like this? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/472407-why-html-looks-like.html)

Kent West 01-04-2011 08:52 PM

why is this html looks like this?

On 01/04/2011 02:49 PM, S Mathias wrote:

soruce code of the html file:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png
it looks like this in the realiy:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png

WHY?

if i put it in "< pre>", then it's good.
but if it isn't in "< pre>" then the lines ends are random. why dont they end in the same vertical line?

thank you, and sorry for askin html...i just can't figure it out :(

You posted the same link twice, and the .png file has a big black block
over most of it on my system (I think I may have an X-related video
glitch on my box), so I can't see what it's supposed to be.

My first guess is that your code doesn't specify a monospace font, and
therefore the natural variances in the default variable-space font is
causing your line-ends to be random.

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Archive: 4D2396B2.3080403@acu.edu">http://lists.debian.org/4D2396B2.3080403@acu.edu

MR ZenWiz 01-04-2011 09:15 PM

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:
> soruce code of the html file:
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png
> it looks like this in the realiy:
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png
>
> WHY?
>
> if i put it in "< pre >", then it's good.
> but if it isn't in "< pre >" then the lines ends are random. why dont they end in the same vertical line?
>
> thank you, and sorry for askin html...i just can't figure it out :(

Tell you what: you post a question that has something to do with
ubuntu and we'll consider answering it for you.

DYOH.

Mark 01-04-2011 09:16 PM

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Sven Aluoor <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:52 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:
> (...)
>> WHY?
> (...)
>
> Why you post the same message on different mailing lists? Here at
> Ubuntu users https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-January/237967.html

Clearly this person thinks that a) all OS technical discussion lists
are unbounded resources for asking any old question, regardless of how
it applies to the OS in question and b) this is how to do one's
homework - have someone else on the web do it for you.

Perhaps we should just ignore him/her.

Keith Roberts 01-04-2011 09:24 PM

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Mark wrote:

> From: Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] why is this html looks like this?
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Sven Aluoor <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:52 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> (...)
>>> WHY?
>> (...)
>>
>> Why you post the same message on different mailing lists? Here at
>> Ubuntu users https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-January/237967.html
>>
> Clearly this person thinks that a) all OS technical discussion lists
> are unbounded resources for asking any old question, regardless of how
> it applies to the OS in question and b) this is how to do one's
> homework - have someone else on the web do it for you.
>
> Perhaps we should just ignore him/her.

To the OP - try asking at webdeveloper.com :)

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

g 01-04-2011 09:29 PM

On 01/04/2011 08:57 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please stop asking questions unrelated to Fedora. This is the Fedora
> users list, not a general programming help list. One occasional
> question is of course understandable, but one new question everyday
> with trivial problems is unacceptable.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:50 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:

s mathias is not asking trivial questions unrelated to theme of this list.

tho it tends to be frowned appon, to is top post and not trimming 'dead
wood'.

if anything s mathias should have put [OT] at head of "Subject:" line.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Patrick O'Callaghan 01-04-2011 09:37 PM

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 22:29 +0000, g wrote:
> On 01/04/2011 08:57 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please stop asking questions unrelated to Fedora. This is the Fedora
> > users list, not a general programming help list. One occasional
> > question is of course understandable, but one new question everyday
> > with trivial problems is unacceptable.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:50 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> s mathias is not asking trivial questions unrelated to theme of this list.
>
> tho it tends to be frowned appon, to is top post and not trimming 'dead
> wood'.
>
> if anything s mathias should have put [OT] at head of "Subject:" line.

This is contradictory. If it's OT then it's "unrelated to the theme of
this list", that's what OT means. As Suvayu says it may be reasonable on
occasion but not time after time. Someone already mentioned that the OP
sounds like he wants us to do his homework ...

(+1 about the top-posting of course).

poc

suvayu ali 01-04-2011 09:39 PM

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:29 PM, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On 01/04/2011 08:57 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please stop asking questions unrelated to Fedora. This is the Fedora
>> users list, not a general programming help list. One occasional
>> question is of course understandable, but one new question everyday
>> with trivial problems is unacceptable.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:50 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> s mathias is not asking trivial questions unrelated to theme of this list.

He has been asking basic bash, perl and now html questions in this one
week alone. I definitely understand that users might often face
similar problems in a days work and are inclined to ask the community
they belong to. But that should be done after some research on their
part and not as often as this. I have also asked a few bash questions
in the past but only after I failed despite considerable effort on my
part.

> tho it tends to be frowned appon, to is top post and not trimming 'dead
> wood'.

I don't top post, but I did so in this occasion as I wasn't answering
the original question raised by Mathias.

> if anything s mathias should have put [OT] at head of "Subject:" line.

Agreed, but still that doesn't justify frequent ill researched OT questions.

Just my 0.02

--
Suvayu

Steven Stern 01-04-2011 09:52 PM

On 01/04/2011 04:39 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:29 PM, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> On 01/04/2011 08:57 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Please stop asking questions unrelated to Fedora. This is the Fedora
>>> users list, not a general programming help list. One occasional
>>> question is of course understandable, but one new question everyday
>>> with trivial problems is unacceptable.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:50 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> s mathias is not asking trivial questions unrelated to theme of this list.
>>

> He has been asking basic bash, perl and now html questions in this one
> week alone. I definitely understand that users might often face
> similar problems in a days work and are inclined to ask the community
> they belong to. But that should be done after some research on their
> part and not as often as this. I have also asked a few bash questions
> in the past but only after I failed despite considerable effort on my
> part.
>
>> tho it tends to be frowned appon, to is top post and not trimming 'dead
>> wood'.
>>

> I don't top post, but I did so in this occasion as I wasn't answering
> the original question raised by Mathias.
>
>> if anything s mathias should have put [OT] at head of "Subject:" line.
>>

> Agreed, but still that doesn't justify frequent ill researched OT questions.
>
> Just my 0.02

My apologies for not using a snarky lmgtfy.com link in my reply to OP. :-)

--
-- Steve

Chris Davies 01-04-2011 09:57 PM

Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> [...] the .png file has a big black block over most of it [...]

Same here. It's likely to be the png.
Chris

Phil Requirements 01-04-2011 11:45 PM

On 2011-01-04 22:57:07 +0000, Chris Davies wrote:
> Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> > [...] the .png file has a big black block over most of it [...]
>
> Same here. It's likely to be the png.
> Chris

No, you can tell by the arrangement of the black bars that the author
put them there on purpose, in order to cover up sensitive information.
The URL is black, the name of the tab is black, the first line of the
HTML is black, and the content of the tags is black.

Posed this way, with a blacked out image, and the same link given
twice, makes it quite a mystery as to what problem the OP would like
help solving.

My guess is the problem is that in HTML whitespace is almost always
collapsed. Try using...

style="white-space: pre"

...in the parent container, whatever that may be!

Just a guess,

Phil