Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Eero Volotinen

Default Problems installing on Dell R310

try to install with http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/ (unofficial debian installer)

--
Eero

Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 PM
mat brown

> try to install withhttp://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/(unofficial debian installer)

I did consider that, but seeing as I've installed both Lenny and
Squeeze (not to mention Ubuntu LTS) OK, I'm not sure that it will
help: it's not actually installing that's the problem. It's booting
the system after install, and the d-i images - to the best of my
knowledge - use the same version of grub as Lenny official does. Plus
I'd rather so my software RAID in Squeeze if at all possible.

I will, of course, try - when I can get a CD burnt down at the
datacentre. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Eero Volotinen

2011/1/5 mat brown <vice.captain@gmail.com>:

>> try to install withhttp://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/(unofficial debian installer)
>>

> I did consider that, but seeing as I've installed both Lenny and
> Squeeze (not to mention Ubuntu LTS) OK, I'm not sure that it will
> help: *it's not actually installing that's the problem. *It's booting
> the system after install, and the d-i images - to the best of my
> knowledge - use the same version of grub as Lenny official does. *Plus
> I'd rather so my software RAID in Squeeze if at all possible.
>
> I will, of course, try - when I can get a CD burnt down at the
> datacentre. *Thanks very much for the suggestion.

I had similar problems with R410. I think problem lies in way DRAC
card is recognized at boot and it's virtual drives.

Of course you can unplug the drac.. eh

--
Eero

Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 PM
mat brown

> Of course you can unplug the drac.. eh

As far as I can tell (lspci, lsusb, dmesg|grep drac) there's no drac
installed. the KVM access I have is through the hosting provider's
own system - again, as far as I can tell.

I know Dell don't officially support debian, but even so.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Chris Davies

Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:
> I had similar problems with R410. I think problem lies in way DRAC
> card is recognized at boot and it's virtual drives.

I too have had problems in this area on DELL systems with a DRAC. Without
reference to my notes I'm relying on memory, but the bottom line is that
during installation there is an extra drive visible to the OS.

For example, my (legacy) grub menu.lst entries would have had something
like "root=/dev/sdb5" but after installation these would have needed
correcting to "root=/dev/sda5".

Chris

Old 01-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Bob Proulx

mat brown wrote:
> No matter what combination of LVM, s/w RAID, no s/w RAID, no LVM or
> whatever I use, GRUB refuses to boot the installed system.
> the problem, installing with no RAID/LVM should work - which it
> doesn't.

I know you mention several things but just to be clear... You did try
an install using nothing more than /dev/sda as the root partition with
everything all in one partition? No software raid. No lvm. That
would be the simplest case. If that fails what is on the screen at
that time?

I wasn't 100% positive that such a simple trial had been made and had
also failed to get booted and so decided to ask.

> Centos installs fine. But I don't know rpm-based distros well enough
> to do what I need to do down the line, and anyway - this is Debian for
> goodness sakes! I've installed loads of Debian systems just fine.

Agreed! But that is a good clue just the same. Installs and boots?
If so then you should be able to do an A-B comparison to figure out
the difference. Or at the least use one to boot the other.

Bob

Old 01-04-2011, 11:17 PM
mat brown

> I know you mention several things but just to be clear... *You did try
> an install using nothing more than /dev/sda as the root partition with
> everything all in one partition? *No software raid. *No lvm. *That
> would be the simplest case. *If that fails what is on the screen at
> that time?

Perfectly reasonable question.

I have tried this, yes. In this case, like most others, I get nothing
past POST - no "GRUB", no error messages, no anything. If I fire up
the bios boot manager, I get a mere blinking cursor after telling it
to boot from the hard drive - just as if there were no system, nor
bootloader, installed. It's really weird.

> Agreed! *But that is a good clue just the same. *Installs and boots?
> If so then you should be able to do an A-B comparison to figure out
> the difference. *Or at the least use one to boot the other.

Centos installs and boots just fine. It uses an LVM as it's default
disk setup, unlike my preferred s/w RAID0, but apart from that - the
GRUB config looks the same. It looks *normal* - I can just about
write a default grub 0.97 menu.lst manually if I have to.

I don't want an LVM as RAID0 gives considerably better I/O performance
and disk I/O is what I need this machine to be good at.

Using Centos to bootstrap Debian is exactly the kind of mess I'd
rather not get into on what will, ultimately, be my main server. But
if that's what it takes...