-   -   why is this html looks like this? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/472361-why-html-looks-like.html)

S Mathias 01-04-2011 07:49 PM

why is this html looks like this?

soruce code of the html file:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png
it looks like this in the realiy:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png

WHY?

if i put it in "< pre >", then it's good.
but if it isn't in "< pre >" then the lines ends are random. why dont they end in the same vertical line?

thank you, and sorry for askin html...i just can't figure it out :(

Steven Stern 01-04-2011 07:54 PM

On 01/04/2011 02:50 PM, S Mathias wrote:
> soruce code of the html file:
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png
> it looks like this in the realiy:
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png
>
> WHY?
>
> if i put it in "< pre >", then it's good.
> but if it isn't in "< pre >" then the lines ends are random. why dont they end in the same vertical line?
>
> thank you, and sorry for askin html...i just can't figure it out :(

the PRE tag forces a fixed pitch font with a wrap at the end of line.
Without the PRE tag, the font defaults to the browser default (probably
serif) and it wraps to fit the browser width.

--
-- Steve

Bruno Wolff III 01-04-2011 07:54 PM

why is this html looks like this?

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 12:50:28 -0800,
S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:
> soruce code of the html file:
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png
> it looks like this in the realiy:
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png
>
> WHY?
>
> if i put it in "< pre >", then it's good.
> but if it isn't in "< pre >" then the lines ends are random. why dont they end in the same vertical line?
>
> thank you, and sorry for askin html...i just can't figure it out :(

I think that commonly fixed space fonts are used to render stuff in a pre
block, and proportional fonts are normally used in other cases. If you are
trying to line up columns of characters, that won't work well with proportional
fonts.

Sven Aluoor 01-04-2011 07:56 PM

why is this html looks like this?

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:52 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:
(...)
> WHY?
(...)

Why you post the same message on different mailing lists? Here at
Ubuntu users https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-January/237967.html

cheers Sven

suvayu ali 01-04-2011 07:57 PM

why is this html looks like this?

Hi,

Please stop asking questions unrelated to Fedora. This is the Fedora
users list, not a general programming help list. One occasional
question is of course understandable, but one new question everyday
with trivial problems is unacceptable.

Thanks,

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:50 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:
> soruce code of the html file:
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png
> it looks like this in the realiy:
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png
>
> WHY?
>
> if i put it in "< pre >", then it's good.
> but if it isn't in "< pre >" then the lines ends are random. why dont they end in the same vertical line?
>
> thank you, and sorry for askin html...i just can't figure it out :(

Suvayu

Avi Greenbury 01-04-2011 08:05 PM

S Mathias wrote:

> soruce code of the html file:
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png
> it looks like this in the realiy:
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6448/sourcey.png

These two both appear to be a picture of a heavily redacted portion of
HTML source.
A better way to post source code, especially if you're asking for help
fixing it, is somewhere like Pastebin [0], which allows people to copy
and paste it to test.

> WHY?
>
> if i put it in "< pre >", then it's good.
> but if it isn't in "< pre >" then the lines ends are random. why dont
> they end in the same vertical line?
At a guess, because <pre> enforces the layout of the text, and normally
uses a fixed-width font. Without knowing what it is that's being
printed (that is, the stuff under the big black rectangles), it's going
to be hard to tell.

> thank you, and sorry for askin html...i just can't figure it out :(

There are plenty of HTML- and web- orientated forums and the like, from
which you're likely to get quicker and more accurate answers.

--
Avi.

[0] http://pastebin.com/

Marko Vojinovic 01-04-2011 08:34 PM

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 20:56:36 Sven Aluoor wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:52 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:
> (...)
>
> > WHY?
>
> (...)
>
> Why you post the same message on different mailing lists? Here at
> Ubuntu users
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-January/237967.html

He also cross-posted this to the Fedora list, and in addition to the answer,
he got a bit flamed for being OT, yet again. ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko