Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Paul Richards

Default Error installing Squeeze with root filesystem as btrfs

I installed the Debian squeeze from the current beta 2 netdisk
installer (debian-squeeze-di-beta2-amd64-netinst.iso).

I configured an ext4 partition for /boot on /dev/sda1, and a btrfs
partition for / on /dev/sda2.

On first boot into the system I got the following error:

FATAL: Error inserting btrfs
(/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/fs/btrfs/btrfs.ko): Unknown symbol
in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

A few other errors follow as a consequence of not being able to mount
the root filesystem. Is installing to a root btrfs filesystem
expected to work in squeeze yet?

--
Paul Richards
@pauldoo

Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Paul Richards put forth on 1/4/2011 2:44 PM:

> Is installing to a root btrfs filesystem
> expected to work in squeeze yet?

If you didn't already know the answer to this question before attempting
this, then why are you attempting to use BTRFS? Think about that for a
moment.

BTRFS is an experimental filesystem. It doesn't even have a repair
utility yet, and there is still tons and tons of work to be done on it
before it is anything close to a "production quality" filesystem.

Worth reading:
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

Also, for anyone planning on playing with experimental software, it
would be a very smart thing to subscribe to the mailing list to stay up
to date on what is and is not working:

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Btrfs_mailing_list

Last point I'll make is that the bulk of BTRFS' advanced features gain
you little to nothing when used for a root filesystem.

--
Stan

Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Pascal Hambourg

Hello,

Paul Richards a écrit :
> I installed the Debian squeeze from the current beta 2 netdisk
> installer (debian-squeeze-di-beta2-amd64-netinst.iso).
>
> I configured an ext4 partition for /boot on /dev/sda1, and a btrfs
> partition for / on /dev/sda2.
>
> On first boot into the system I got the following error:
>
> FATAL: Error inserting btrfs
> (/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/fs/btrfs/btrfs.ko): Unknown symbol
> in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>
> A few other errors follow as a consequence of not being able to mount
> the root filesystem. Is installing to a root btrfs filesystem
> expected to work in squeeze yet?

FWIW, I have seen a similar report lately with an ext3 root filesystem
after an update. No explanation was given though.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:48 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <AANLkTikEbsMpx7jabAoeGUPtdP6BdKGLyuLPhdB1PXDO@mai l.gmail.com>, Paul
Richards wrote:
>On first boot into the system I got the following error:
>
>FATAL: Error inserting btrfs
>(/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/fs/btrfs/btrfs.ko): Unknown symbol
>in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>
>A few other errors follow as a consequence of not being able to mount
>the root filesystem. Is installing to a root btrfs filesystem
>expected to work in squeeze yet?

I had it working under a mostly Lenny system. It continues to work although
that laptop is mostly Squeeze now.

There was an issue with initramfs-tools and btrfs on root. The btrfs module
depends on libcrc32 module, which is correctly pulled in. However, some
systems also need to crc32 module, if no other module provides the a crc32
implementation. libcrc32 is an interface to the crc32 module software or a
hardware (assisted) implementation.

Make sure your initrd contains the crc32 module before you go looking for
other problems. IIRC, this can be configured in /etc/iniramfs-tools/modules,
but you may be using some other method to build an initrd.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Paul Richards

On 8 January 2011 08:48, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> In <AANLkTikEbsMpx7jabAoeGUPtdP6BdKGLyuLPhdB1PXDO@mai l.gmail.com>, Paul
> Richards wrote:
>>On first boot into the system I got the following error:
>>
>>FATAL: Error inserting btrfs
>>(/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/fs/btrfs/btrfs.ko): Unknown symbol
>>in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>>
>>A few other errors follow as a consequence of not being able to mount
>>the root filesystem. *Is installing to a root btrfs filesystem
>>expected to work in squeeze yet?
>
> I had it working under a mostly Lenny system. *It continues to work although
> that laptop is mostly Squeeze now.
>
> There was an issue with initramfs-tools and btrfs on root. *The btrfs module
> depends on libcrc32 module, which is correctly pulled in. *However, some
> systems also need to crc32 module, if no other module provides the a crc32
> implementation. *libcrc32 is an interface to the crc32 module software or a
> hardware (assisted) implementation.
>
> Make sure your initrd contains the crc32 module before you go looking for
> other problems. *IIRC, this can be configured in /etc/iniramfs-tools/modules,
> but you may be using some other method to build an initrd.

I'm not doing anything myself to build the initrd. I'm simply running
the current ISO candidate for the squeeze netinst installer.

Is what you suggest something I can fix from the terminal during the
install? (I can alt-f2 to the spare VT to perhaps make the
corrections)

--
Paul Richards
@pauldoo

Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <AANLkTimMA2=MmO758P8xB85aPJjqzV3+=mhukMoqtZcX@mai l.gmail.com>, Paul
Richards wrote:
>On 8 January 2011 08:48, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net>
wrote:
>> In <AANLkTikEbsMpx7jabAoeGUPtdP6BdKGLyuLPhdB1PXDO@mai l.gmail.com>, Paul
>> Richards wrote:
>>>On first boot into the system I got the following error:
>>>
>>>FATAL: Error inserting btrfs
>>>(/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/fs/btrfs/btrfs.ko): Unknown symbol
>>>in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>>>
>> Make sure your initrd contains the crc32 module before you go looking for
>> other problems. IIRC, this can be configured in
>> /etc/iniramfs-tools/modules, but you may be using some other method to
>> build an initrd.
>
>I'm not doing anything myself to build the initrd. I'm simply running
>the current ISO candidate for the squeeze netinst installer.
>
>Is what you suggest something I can fix from the terminal during the
>install? (I can alt-f2 to the spare VT to perhaps make the
>corrections)

I did the migration to btrfs root from a working reiserfs root, so I'm not
sure if the fix can be applied from the netinst iso. I'm not familiar enough
with the netinst process to be sure, but I think you should be able to chroot,
make the config changes, and rebuild the initrd just before the netinst
reboots into the new system.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Paul Richards

On 9 January 2011 09:20, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> In <AANLkTimMA2=MmO758P8xB85aPJjqzV3+=mhukMoqtZcX@mai l.gmail.com>, Paul
> Richards wrote:
>>On 8 January 2011 08:48, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net>
> wrote:

>>> Make sure your initrd contains the crc32 module before you go looking for
>>> other problems. *IIRC, this can be configured in
>>> /etc/iniramfs-tools/modules, but you may be using some other method to
>>> build an initrd.
>>
>>I'm not doing anything myself to build the initrd. *I'm simply running
>>the current ISO candidate for the squeeze netinst installer.
>>
>>Is what you suggest something I can fix from the terminal during the
>>install? *(I can alt-f2 to the spare VT to perhaps make the
>>corrections)
>
> I did the migration to btrfs root from a working reiserfs root, so I'm not
> sure if the fix can be applied from the netinst iso. *I'm not familiar enough
> with the netinst process to be sure, but I think you should be able to chroot,
> make the config changes, and rebuild the initrd just before the netinst
> reboots into the new system.

I figured out how to add crc32 to the initramfs, but unfortunately I
get the same error. It's unfortunate that the error message does not
tell me which symbol is missing, as perhaps including another modulre
in the initramfs would help.

Since it took me a little time to figure out, I'll write out my procedure here.
At the final prompt of the installer (where it asks you to remove the
installation CD and prepare for reboot), I pressed alt-f2 to jump to
the spare VT.

>From here I did the following:

1. Mount /dev /sys and /proc into /target/..:

mount -o bind /dev /target/dev
mount -o bind /sys /target/sys
mount -o bind /proc /target/proc

2. Chroot into /target:

chroot /target

3. Edit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules to contain crc32 (I also added
btrfs for extra good measure)

vi /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

4. Rebuild the initramfs

dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64

(you should see confirmation that grub was updated too)

5. Exit chroot, and alt-f1 back to the installer VT.

--
Paul Richards
@pauldoo

Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Pascal Hambourg

Paul Richards a écrit :

> I figured out how to add crc32 to the initramfs, but unfortunately I
> get the same error. It's unfortunate that the error message does not
> tell me which symbol is missing, as perhaps including another modulre
> in the initramfs would help.

Did you look at the output of dmesg as the message suggested ?
The initramfs should start a shell after failing to mount the root
filesystem (be patient, this may take some time).
In the installer/rescue shell, you could also check the module
dependency with lsmod.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Paul Richards

On 9 January 2011 12:37, Pascal Hambourg <pascal.mail@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Paul Richards a écrit :
>>
>> I figured out how to add crc32 to the initramfs, but unfortunately I
>> get the same error. *It's unfortunate that the error message does not
>> tell me which symbol is missing, as perhaps including another modulre
>> in the initramfs would help.
>
> Did you look at the output of dmesg as the message suggested ?
> The initramfs should start a shell after failing to mount the root
> filesystem (be patient, this may take some time).
> In the installer/rescue shell, you could also check the module
> dependency with lsmod.

I tried this procedure again but used a shotgun approach to picking
which extra modules to put into the initramfs.

>From the installer VT (at step 3 in my procedure above) I executed:

lsmod | sed 's%[ ].*$%%' >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

This has probably led to a bloated ramfs, but the system now boots
with btrfs as the root filesystem.

Thanks everyone for your help.

--
Paul Richards
@pauldoo

Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Paul Richards

On 9 January 2011 13:45, Paul Richards <paul.richards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 January 2011 12:37, Pascal Hambourg <pascal.mail@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
>> Paul Richards a écrit :
>>>
>>> I figured out how to add crc32 to the initramfs, but unfortunately I
>>> get the same error. *It's unfortunate that the error message does not
>>> tell me which symbol is missing, as perhaps including another modulre
>>> in the initramfs would help.
>>
>> Did you look at the output of dmesg as the message suggested ?
>> The initramfs should start a shell after failing to mount the root
>> filesystem (be patient, this may take some time).
>> In the installer/rescue shell, you could also check the module
>> dependency with lsmod.
>>

> I tried this procedure again but used a shotgun approach to picking
> which extra modules to put into the initramfs.
>
> From the installer VT (at step 3 in my procedure above) I executed:
>
> lsmod | sed 's%[ ].*$%%' >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
>
> This has probably led to a bloated ramfs, but the system now boots
> with btrfs as the root filesystem.
>
> Thanks everyone for your help.

A simpler solution appears to be installing 'btrfs-tools' during
install. This package drags in some initramfs-tools magic[1] that
causes the correct modules to be put into the initramfs.

This is far more elegant than hacking /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

1: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/amd64/btrfs-tools/filelist

--
Paul Richards
@pauldoo