Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Zhang Weiwu

Default looking for a clock, minimum and can play sound

Hello. I am looking for an count-down clock. Features are:

* count down to up to 300 seconds. I wish to configure my fluxbox to
activate it by Ctrl+6, which counts down 60 seconds, Ctrl+3 to
count down 30 seconds, thus it must be able to accept commandline
parameter for counting down.
* play a sound when count down to zero.
* It's not bad to have it with X11/gui, although console app would
do (in that case sleep(1) more or less works). It's even better if
it is implemented as a progress bar so I can configure my fluxbox
to put it to the bottom/side of screen and put it half-transparent.

I found only one such application in package repository (timer-applet),
but I am on a really slow computer and wish to have minimum overhead to
start the application, and although i really appreciate having
opensource applications designed with a good usability concept and
guideline, I don't need it myself in this particular case, thus
timer-applet seems overkill for this purpose.

Thanks for recommendation in advance!

Archive: 4D230D46.7020402@realss.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D230D46.7020402@realss.com

Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 20:06:30 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Hello. I am looking for an count-down clock. Features are:

(...)

If you find no aplication that suits your needs, may I suggest a "do-
it-yourself" work? :-)

Dialog (command line ncurses scripting) and xdialog (GUI) can help you
here. It's very easy to use and just basic bash programming skills needed.

Some tutotials with usage samples:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2807
http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/55389
http://unstableme.blogspot.com/2009/12/linux-dialog-utility-short-tutorial.html