Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 AM
David Baron

Default Wayward crons and inits

I have some cron job trying to run ntpdate which I no longer have on my system
nor any of its configs. Have been unable to find it by fgrep-ing in the /etc
or /root trees.

I also have some init still looking for the no-longer extant /dev/hda, et al.
Also unable to find it fgrep-ing the /etc tree.

Harmless, do nothing, but .... any ideas? Running Sid.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Dom

I have some cron job trying to run ntpdate which I no longer have on my system
nor any of its configs. Have been unable to find it by fgrep-ing in the /etc
or /root trees.

I also have some init still looking for the no-longer extant /dev/hda, et al.
Also unable to find it fgrep-ing the /etc tree.

Harmless, do nothing, but .... any ideas? Running Sid.

Hi,

I can't help on your second problem, but for the first I would create a
fake ntpdate script that writes various details to a file in /tmp.
Something like:

#!/bin/bash

(
date
env
ps -efl
echo "Parent is: $PPID"
ps -flp $PPID
echo "Args are: $@"
echo "END"
) >> /tmp/ntpdate.out

Should give you some clues when the first cron job runs.

Dom.

Archive: 4D22FF30.1060509@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D22FF30.1060509@rpdom.net

Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:50 AM, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> I have some cron job trying to run ntpdate which I no longer have on my system
> nor any of its configs. Have been unable to find it by fgrep-ing in the /etc
> or /root trees.

How about in "/var/spool/cron/crontabs"?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Bob Proulx

David Baron wrote:
> I have some cron job trying to run ntpdate which I no longer have on
> my system nor any of its configs. Have been unable to find it by
> fgrep-ing in the /etc or /root trees.

I know you have already looked but here is where I would look.

$ sudo find /etc/cron* /var/spool/cron -type f -exec grep ntpdate {} +

> I also have some init still looking for the no-longer extant
> /dev/hda, et al. Also unable to find it fgrep-ing the /etc tree.

Also look through /etc/rc* and /etc/init.d too.
Look in /var/log/syslog for cron's log entries.

> Harmless, do nothing, but .... any ideas? Running Sid.

Try matching the times it is being invoked up with cron log entries in
/var/log/syslog. If a cron entry matches the same time then it is
very likely that they are related.

Bob