Old 02-04-2008, 07:17 PM
oxy

Default discovering debian ...

Hi, i just installed debian/gnome and am discovering it.
At first, few things sound strange:

where is man here? There is only a strange xman :-[
The /usr/share/man is actually there ...

an apropos? whatis?

`xtem --help` says that `xterm -fs 14` should work, but the font size
does not change!

Just a few observations. Except for that im enjoying the system :-)
Thanks ...

Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 PM
oxy

> > where is man here? There is only a strange xman :-[
> > The /usr/share/man is actually there ...
>
> "man" stand for manual. As in "the document that tells you how to
> use a piece of software". You might be too young to have ever seen one.
>
> But then, you might be a dog. I'd never know.
>
> > an apropos? whatis?
>
> Apropos: of an appropriate or pertinent nature.
>
> Software that tries to guess what you want to do, and suggest which
> command-line app meets your need.
>
> > `xtem --help` says that `xterm -fs 14` should work, but the font size
> > does not change!
>
> Can't answer that one...
>
> How new are you to the whole Unix world? A long time Windows user?
> Computer nerd or "plain old user"?

I've being since nearly a decade using unix. I dont know what you intend with
those vage answers, if u actually did not answer anything. The
questions are quite
ok, and if u were trying to play the big, you didnt convince.
Please, help to keep the educational/informative purpose of the list.
It's not a place to excercice your misleading superiority complex.

Also, do not send email privately to me. Send to the list.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Kent West

oxy wrote:

Hi, i just installed debian/gnome and am discovering it.
At first, few things sound strange:

where is man here? There is only a strange xman :-[
The /usr/share/man is actually there ...

an apropos? whatis?

I believe these are installed as standard; if opening a terminal window
and typing "man man" gives you a "command not found" type response, I
suspect your base install did not complete for some reason. In that
case, try "aptitude update && aptitude upgrade" as root.

--
Kent

Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Kent West

oxy wrote:

[...]

I doubt there was a superiority complex thing going on here (although
that's just a guess on my part); although his answers are a bit vague,
your questions are also a bit vague (even though you think they're
"quite ok").

Without knowing your skill level, the respondent could only guess at how
much you know and how specific he needed to be, so he may have assumed
you were a newbie who wasn't actually asking what you meant to ask.

I had thought to answer you, but I also wasn't quite sure what you were
asking, so I waited to see if someone else responded first (I then
responded to your original).

I say all this to let you know that the respondent was probably not
intending to do the "superiority" thing.

Also, do not send email privately to me. Send to the list

Yes, the respondent did mess up on this point.

--
Kent

Old 02-04-2008, 08:25 PM
oxy

> Without knowing your skill level, the respondent could only guess at how
> much you know and how specific he needed to be, so he may have assumed
> you were a newbie who wasn't actually asking what you meant to ask.

Ok, the fact is that i do not have the command `man` in my system
(2.6.18.dfsg.1-17etch1).

`locate man | grep '/man'$` gives only the man dirs.

`locate apropos` and `locate whatis` give nothing.
I just found it strange, as well as the incapability to set xterm font size.
Im still open for suggestions ... and this is my first contact to
debian and gnome.

PS: `aptitude update && aptitude upgrade` did not help.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Ron Johnson

On 02/04/08 15:10, Kent West wrote:

>>> "man" stand for manual. As in "the document that tells you how to
>>> use a piece of software". You might be too young to have ever seen one.
>>>
>>> But then, you might be a dog. I'd never know.

>>> Apropos: of an appropriate or pertinent nature.
>>>
>>> Software that tries to guess what you want to do, and suggest which
>>> command-line app meets your need.

>>> Can't answer that one...
>>>
>>> How new are you to the whole Unix world? A long time Windows user?
>>> Computer nerd or "plain old user"?
>>>

>> I've being since nearly a decade using unix. I dont know what you
>> intend with
>> those vage answers, if u actually did not answer anything. The
>> questions are quite
>> ok, and if u were trying to play the big, you didnt convince.
>> Please, help to keep the educational/informative purpose of the list.
>> It's not a place to excercice your misleading superiority complex.
>>

> I doubt there was a superiority complex thing going on here (although
> that's just a guess on my part); although his answers are a bit vague,
> your questions are also a bit vague (even though you think they're
> "quite ok").
>
> Without knowing your skill level, the respondent could only guess at how
> much you know and how specific he needed to be, so he may have assumed
> you were a newbie who wasn't actually asking what you meant to ask.

That's *exactly* why I asked. OP seems not to know what man pages
are, so we need to know how much info to give him, and how to
present it.

> I had thought to answer you, but I also wasn't quite sure what you were
> asking, so I waited to see if someone else responded first (I then
> responded to your original).
>
> I say all this to let you know that the respondent was probably not
> intending to do the "superiority" thing.
>

>> Also, do not send email privately to me. Send to the list
>

> Yes, the respondent did mess up on this point.

I purposefully sent it private, since it appeared that he(?) was a
rank noob, and those questions aren't the kind that you typically
ask on a public mailing list.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 10:25:05PM +0100, oxy wrote:

> > Without knowing your skill level, the respondent could only guess at how
> > much you know and how specific he needed to be, so he may have assumed
> > you were a newbie who wasn't actually asking what you meant to ask.
>
> Ok, the fact is that i do not have the command `man` in my system
> (2.6.18.dfsg.1-17etch1).
>
> `locate man | grep '/man'$` gives only the man dirs.

have you tried using the command 'man'?

> `locate apropos` and `locate whatis` give nothing.

I normally use 'man -k' instead of apropos

Also note that there are other man pages front-ends, such as konqueror,
nautilus (use the "man:" protocol) and emacs.

> I just found it strange, as well as the incapability to set xterm font size.
> Im still open for suggestions ... and this is my first contact to
> debian and gnome.

xterm is not gnome. Maybe the font is set to a core (non-xft) font?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Kent West

oxy wrote:

Ok, the fact is that i do not have the command `man` in my system
(2.6.18.dfsg.1-17etch1).

`locate man | grep '/man'$` gives only the man dirs.

`locate apropos` and `locate whatis` give nothing.
I just found it strange, as well as the incapability to set xterm font size.
Im still open for suggestions ... and this is my first contact to
debian and gnome.

PS: `aptitude update && aptitude upgrade` did not help

In that case, I'd try "aptitude install man"

--
Kent

Old 02-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Arthur Barlow

oxy wrote:

Without knowing your skill level, the respondent could only guess at how
much you know and how specific he needed to be, so he may have assumed
you were a newbie who wasn't actually asking what you meant to ask.

Ok, the fact is that i do not have the command `man` in my system
(2.6.18.dfsg.1-17etch1).

`locate man | grep '/man'$` gives only the man dirs.

`locate apropos` and `locate whatis` give nothing.
I just found it strange, as well as the incapability to set xterm font size.
Im still open for suggestions ... and this is my first contact to
debian and gnome.

PS: `aptitude update && aptitude upgrade` did not help.

On a "normally" installed Etch version there should be a /usr/bin/man
executable file. If not, then something was not installed properly.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:25 PM
oxy

> On a "normally" installed Etch version there should be a /usr/bin/man
> executable file. If not, then something was not installed properly.

ok, i'll have a look at possible reasons.
For the moment `aptitude install man` solved my problem.
Thanks very much ...

PS: no rancour from this thread, i just wanted to keep focus on the purpose of
the list. Next time I'll be more precise in my questions as well.