Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Roman Gelfand

Default mkdosfs on usb pendrive

I created a partition on a 8gb usb pendrive using mkdosfs. However,
after mounting the drive, I see only 80mb available. Is there a way
to create a bigger partition?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Joao Ferreira gmail

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 10:33 -0500, Roman Gelfand wrote:
> I created a partition on a 8gb usb pendrive using mkdosfs.

can you show us the exact command you used ?

cheers

joao

Old 01-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Roman Gelfand

to create partition...

mkdosfs /dev/sda1

To mount the volume

mount /dev/sda1 /pendrive

Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Javier Vasquez

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Roman Gelfand <rgelfand2@gmail.com> wrote:
> to create partition...
>
> mkdosfs /dev/sda1
>
> To mount the volume
>
> mount /dev/sda1 /pendrive

mkdosfs does not create any partition, it formats the partition to
VFAT, but it has to be created first. In your example /dev/sda1, the
partition already existed.

If you want to re-partition your drive, you have to use whether
cfdisk, or parted, or gparted, or whatever other tool for that
puspose. Once you create the partitions of your liking, then you
format them...

--
Javier.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Joao Ferreira gmail

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 10:43 -0500, Roman Gelfand wrote:
> to create partition...
>
> mkdosfs /dev/sda1

this does not create the partition; this formats an existing partition
as fat.

the problem here is that the pen actually contains a ver small partition
in it (I'm just guessing).

install gparted on your computer and use it to actually get a "map" of
the partition layout of your pen.

I'dd say you need to remove any existing partition on the pen and create
a new partition with the size you want.

only then format it as dos, or ext3, or whatever you need.

gparted will help you with this.

be extra carefull not to touch your internal hard drives. sometimes it
can be confusing.

cheers
joao

Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Lisi

On Monday 03 January 2011 15:43:09 Roman Gelfand wrote:
> to create partition...
>
> mkdosfs /dev/sda1
>
> To mount the volume
>
> mount /dev/sda1 /pendrive
>
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Joao Ferreira gmail
>
> <joao.miguel.c.ferreira@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 10:33 -0500, Roman Gelfand wrote:
> >> I created a partition on a 8gb usb pendrive using mkdosfs.
> >
> > can you show us the exact command you used ?
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > joao
> >
> >> * However,
> >> after mounting the drive, I see only 80mb available. * Is there a way
> >> to create a bigger partition?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance

Partition the drive to have only one partition covering the whole volume
before you make the filesystem?
Lisi

Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
shawn wilson

As stated, mkfs commands just do the fs layout stuff and not the partitioning. In order to do partitioning I'd either use fdisk or gparted. For fdisk, (off the top of my head);

sudo fdisk /dev/sda

d 1

(Repeat until there are no listings)

n p 1 (accept defaults)

p (you should see one linux native partition taking up all of the space)

I don't recall if you need to change the partition (t)ype or what you change it to.

After your done with fdisk, (w)rite the table and then run your mkfs command (which, I suspect if you look mkdosfs is actually a symlink or alias to mkfs.vfat

Old 01-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Roman Gelfand

I sort of found a solution for myself. Remove all partitions from usb
drive. Format the drive using mkdosfs -I /dev/sda. This gives me now
access to the entire drive.