Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Andrei Popescu

Default PDF viewer which supports scale-to-fit print (aka "lp -o fitplot")?

Hi,

Does anyone know of a pdf viewer which can print with the option
"scale-to-fit"? Web searched didn't turn up anything useful.

lp -d printer -o fitplot file.pdf

does what I need, but a GUI is needed for clicky-type users.

The software should be free and apt-get-able, and if possible on lenny,
but this is not a hard requirement, the machine will be upgraded to
squeeze ASAP anyway.

I already installed acroread from debian-multimedia to solve the
immediate problem, but I'd rather get rid of it (64 bit machine,
non-free, ...).

Thanks,
Andrei

Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 15:32:09 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> Does anyone know of a pdf viewer which can print with the option
> "scale-to-fit"? Web searched didn't turn up anything useful.

I don't see that option under Evince, yep.

But maybe you can give Evince a chance by creating a new printer instance
in cups (name it, "evince_fiplot_on") and enable "fitplot" option for
that printer in "/etc/cups/printers.conf" (Option fitplot true) :-?

> lp -d printer -o fitplot file.pdf
>
> does what I need, but a GUI is needed for clicky-type users.

(...)

IIRC, Xpdf can pass raw lpr parameters when printing, so maybe it could
be another option.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 03 Jan 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 15:32:09 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a pdf viewer which can print with the option
> > "scale-to-fit"? Web searched didn't turn up anything useful.
>
> I don't see that option under Evince, yep.
>
> But maybe you can give Evince a chance by creating a new printer instance
> in cups (name it, "evince_fiplot_on") and enable "fitplot" option for
> that printer in "/etc/cups/printers.conf" (Option fitplot true) :-?
>
> > lp -d printer -o fitplot file.pdf
> >
> > does what I need, but a GUI is needed for clicky-type users.
>
> (...)
>
> IIRC, Xpdf can pass raw lpr parameters when printing, so maybe it could
> be another option.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I don't know about fitplot, but I found that xpdf would not print
landscape pages correctly; they came out as portrait. But evince does it
without problems.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 03 ian 11, 18:09:31, Brian wrote:
> On Mon 03 Jan 2011 at 15:32:09 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know of a pdf viewer which can print with the option
> > "scale-to-fit"? Web searched didn't turn up anything useful.
> >
> > lp -d printer -o fitplot file.pdf
> >
> > does what I need, but a GUI is needed for clicky-type users.
>
> As already mentioned xpdf can do this. In ~/.xpdfrc or /etc/xpdf/xpdfrc
> have:
>
> psFile "|lp -d printer -o fitplot"

Sounds interesting.

Thanks,