Old 01-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Filipe Freire

Default squeeze audio cd and automount

hi debianers,

automounting is not working since my upgrade to squeeze.* the loader is now grub2.

I can mount usb and, dvd's and data cd's only manually from the command line.* /etc/fstab and nautilus options are as they should be.

Only for dvd's nautilus creates a folder.

besides this audio cd are not detected ay least by sound-juicer and totem. tried all audio devices.

Will be very grateful for any help.

Cheers,
Fil

Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 22:17:56 +0100, Filipe Freire wrote:

> automounting is not working since my upgrade to squeeze. the loader is
> now grub2.
>
> I can mount usb and, dvd's and data cd's only manually from the command
> line. /etc/fstab and nautilus options are as they should be. Only for
> dvd's nautilus creates a folder.
>
> besides this audio cd are not detected ay least by sound-juicer and
> totem. tried all audio devices.

I'm also facing this problem:

sound-juicer: doesn't find any CD drives, even when told which to use

In my case, hal daemon is running so I tried to restarting the service
but not avail. Also, data CDs are mounted just fine.

At least in lenny, although CD-Audio is not mounted as a normal data CD
Sound Juicer can play it fine. In Squeezy, the CD-Audio is not even
detected, but maybe you can try to access the media using another program
as the bug reporter suggests :-?

As per the USB flash drive, I dunno. What do you get when you connect a
USB flash/disk drive and run "dmesg|tail -50"?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Filipe Freire

Hi,

I looked at the bug report and tried (my drive is ATAPI)

sound-juicer -d /dev/sr0

but it tells me I have no permission.* I tried again with sudo and
it works.* When I press play, it plays but gives the message:

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started

ls -l gives

brw------- 1 root root 11, 0 Jan* 2 22:00 /dev/sr0

so I made rw for everyone but still cannot start it but now I get the
HAL message mentioned in the bug report.

With totem I still can not get sound and get the message about not
being able to start jack.

I checked my daemons and there is no jackd in /etc/init.d though
jackd is installed (but labelled as virtual package).

I googled a few other similar complains but no clear solution.

THere are other jackd packages which might help.* Any feedback on this?

Cheers,
Filipe

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.01.03.18.07.01@gmail.com

Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:24:01 +0100, Filipe Freire wrote:

> On 3 January 2011 19:07, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> > besides this audio cd are not detected ay least by sound-juicer and
>> > totem. tried all audio devices.
>>
>> I'm also facing this problem:
>>
>> sound-juicer: doesn't find any CD drives, even when told which to use
>>
>> In my case, hal daemon is running so I tried to restarting the service
>> but not avail. Also, data CDs are mounted just fine.
>>
>> At least in lenny, although CD-Audio is not mounted as a normal data CD
>> Sound Juicer can play it fine. In Squeezy, the CD-Audio is not even
>> detected, but maybe you can try to access the media using another
>> program as the bug reporter suggests :-?
>>
>> As per the USB flash drive, I dunno. What do you get when you connect a
>> USB flash/disk drive and run "dmesg|tail -50"?

> Hi,
>
> I looked at the bug report and tried (my drive is ATAPI)
>
> sound-juicer -d /dev/sr0
>
> but it tells me I have no permission. I tried again with sudo and it
> works. When I press play, it plays but gives the message:
>
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory Cannot
> connect to server socket
> jack server is not running or cannot be started

Uh? That is different from my error :-?

Why should sound-juicer need jack server at all?

> ls -l gives
>
> brw------- 1 root root 11, 0 Jan 2 22:00 /dev/sr0

Hum... mine looks different:

test@debian:~$ ls -l /dev/sr0
brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 ene 5 20:57 /dev/sr0

> so I made rw for everyone but still cannot start it but now I get the
> HAL message mentioned in the bug report.

Yep, and I still get the same message.

> With totem I still can not get sound and get the message about not being
> able to start jack.

Me neither, probably due to this other bug:

Try to run totem from command line "totem cdda://dev/sr0" and totem will
complain about it cannot handle cdda uri.

> I checked my daemons and there is no jackd in /etc/init.d though jackd
> is installed (but labelled as virtual package).
>
> I googled a few other similar complains but no clear solution.
>
> THere are other jackd packages which might help. Any feedback on this?

I dunno if the jack server message is related to the problem, BTW, I only
have this library installed:

test@debian:~$ dpkg -l | grep jack
ii libjack0 1:0.118 +svn3796-7 JACK Audio Connection Kit (libraries)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Filipe Freire

On 5 January 2011 21:21, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:24:01 +0100, Filipe Freire wrote:

> On 3 January 2011 19:07, Camaleón wrote:

>> > besides this audio cd are not detected ay least by sound-juicer and

>> > totem. tried all audio devices.

>> I'm also facing this problem:

>> sound-juicer: doesn't find any CD drives, even when told which to use

>> In my case, hal daemon is running so I tried to restarting the service

>> but not avail. Also, data CDs are mounted just fine.

>> At least in lenny, although CD-Audio is not mounted as a normal data CD

>> Sound Juicer can play it fine. In Squeezy, the CD-Audio is not even

>> detected, but maybe you can try to access the media using another

>> program as the bug reporter suggests :-?

>> As per the USB flash drive, I dunno. What do you get when you connect a

>> USB flash/disk drive and run "dmesg|tail -50"?

> Hi,

> I looked at the bug report and tried (my drive is ATAPI)

> sound-juicer -d /dev/sr0

> but it tells me I have no permission. *I tried again with sudo and it

> works. *When I press play, it plays but gives the message:

> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory Cannot

> connect to server socket

> jack server is not running or cannot be started

Uh? That is different from my error :-?

Why should sound-juicer need jack server at all?

it might need it to find the device.* If so, that might also explain why no client is starting automatically when we insert a cd.
*

> ls -l gives

> brw------- 1 root root 11, 0 Jan *2 22:00 /dev/sr0

Hum... mine looks different:

test@debian:~$ ls -l /dev/sr0

brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 ene *5 20:57 /dev/sr0

> so I made rw for everyone but still cannot start it but now I get the

> HAL message mentioned in the bug report.

Yep, and I still get the same message.

> With totem I still can not get sound and get the message about not being

> able to start jack.

Me neither, probably due to this other bug:

Try to run totem from command line "totem cdda://dev/sr0" and totem will

complain about it cannot handle cdda uri.
*I tried "totem cdda://dev/sr0" and I get a bizarre message:
*
The playback of this movie requires a Audio CD source plugin which is not installed.

there are no obvious Audio CD plugins to add in.* This smells bug to me.

> I checked my daemons and there is no jackd in /etc/init.d though jackd

> is installed (but labelled as virtual package).

> I googled a few other similar complains but no clear solution.

> THere are other jackd packages which might help. *Any feedback on this?

I dunno if the jack server message is related to the problem, BTW, I only

have this library installed:

test@debian:~$ dpkg -l | grep jack

ii *libjack0 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 1:0.118 +svn3796-7 * * * * * * * * * *JACK Audio Connection Kit (libraries)

Greetings,

--

Camaleón

All the best,

Filipe*

Old 01-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 23:25:35 +0100, Filipe Freire wrote:

> On 5 January 2011 21:21, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> > sound-juicer -d /dev/sr0
>> >
>> > but it tells me I have no permission. I tried again with sudo and it
>> > works. When I press play, it plays but gives the message:
>> >
>> > Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
>> > Cannot connect to server socket
>> > jack server is not running or cannot be started
>>
>> Uh? That is different from my error :-?
>>
>> Why should sound-juicer need jack server at all?
>>

> it might need it to find the device. If so, that might also explain why
> no client is starting automatically when we insert a cd.

I doubt it because jack server is not even installed on my squeeze and
should not be required by sound-juicer at all (I mean it should no be
needed the daemon itself, not the libraries).

>> > With totem I still can not get sound and get the message about not
>> > being able to start jack.
>>
>> Me neither, probably due to this other bug:

>> Try to run totem from command line "totem cdda://dev/sr0" and totem
>> will complain about it cannot handle cdda uri.
>>

> I tried "totem cdda://dev/sr0" and I get a bizarre message:
>
> The playback of this movie requires a Audio CD source plugin which is
> not installed.
>
> there are no obvious Audio CD plugins to add in. This smells bug to me.

Yep... if you need to rip an audio CD or simply listening cd-a in your
system, I would try with another applications, like videolan (player) or
cdparaonia (ripper).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón