Old 01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default What happened to consolechars?

Some characters are not displayed correctly on my monitor. The command
consolechars -d used to correct this problem but now it is unknown.

Specifically the problem is typically with the arrows which mutt uses to
indicate the subject threads. Instead of lines and arrows the display
uses the letter a with a circumflex, the 3/4 character, the copywrite
symbol and another special symbol.

In text occasionally odd symbols appear in the middle of words and in
place of numbers or bullets in lists of items.

Normally I just ignore all this as I know what is meant but occasionally
it results in some ambiguity. In the past when this was a problem I
used the command consolechars -d where the -d was to restore a default
character set. Since lang=en.US,UTF-8 has always been specified in
locale I have no idea what this default character set was, I only knew
it fixed the problem.

Now the command is gone and apt-cache search consolechars returns
nothing.

Tom

Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Phil Requirements

On 2011-01-02 14:23:55 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Some characters are not displayed correctly on my monitor. The command
> consolechars -d used to correct this problem but now it is unknown.
>
> Specifically the problem is typically with the arrows which mutt uses to
> indicate the subject threads. Instead of lines and arrows the display
> uses the letter a with a circumflex, the 3/4 character, the copywrite
> symbol and another special symbol.
>
> In text occasionally odd symbols appear in the middle of words and in
> place of numbers or bullets in lists of items.

I don't know the answer to where consolechars is hiding, but I wanted
to give you something else to think about. The problem you are
describing, where special characters, like line-drawing characters and
bullets, have been replaced with weird characters, is the classic
symptom of an application not supporting UTF-8.

In this case, I think it is your terminal emulator which is not
supporting UTF-8. What terminal emulator are you using? Try running
mutt in xterm and see if the arrows improve.

> Normally I just ignore all this as I know what is meant but occasionally
> it results in some ambiguity. In the past when this was a problem I
> used the command consolechars -d where the -d was to restore a default
> character set. Since lang=en.US,UTF-8 has always been specified in
> locale I have no idea what this default character set was, I only knew
> it fixed the problem.
>
> Now the command is gone and apt-cache search consolechars returns
> nothing.

I don't know about consolechars.

Hope that helps,

Phil

Old 01-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 03 ian 11, 01:13:39, Phil Requirements wrote:
> On 2011-01-02 14:23:55 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > Some characters are not displayed correctly on my monitor. The command
> > consolechars -d used to correct this problem but now it is unknown.
> >
> > Specifically the problem is typically with the arrows which mutt uses to
> > indicate the subject threads. Instead of lines and arrows the display
> > uses the letter a with a circumflex, the 3/4 character, the copywrite
> > symbol and another special symbol.
> >
> > In text occasionally odd symbols appear in the middle of words and in
> > place of numbers or bullets in lists of items.
>
> I don't know the answer to where consolechars is hiding, but I wanted
> to give you something else to think about. The problem you are
> describing, where special characters, like line-drawing characters and
> bullets, have been replaced with weird characters, is the classic
> symptom of an application not supporting UTF-8.
>
> In this case, I think it is your terminal emulator which is not
> supporting UTF-8. What terminal emulator are you using? Try running
> mutt in xterm and see if the arrows improve.

Except for the GUI type ones (lxterm, terminal, gnome-terminal, konsole,
...) AFAIK only xterm, rxvt-unicode and mlterm have decent UTF-8
support. Also, make sure the used font is correct. I would recommend
Terminus (package xfont-terminus).

Regards,
Andrei

Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Roger Leigh

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 01:13:39AM +0000, Phil Requirements wrote:
> On 2011-01-02 14:23:55 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > Some characters are not displayed correctly on my monitor. The command
> > consolechars -d used to correct this problem but now it is unknown.
> >
> > Now the command is gone and apt-cache search consolechars returns
> > nothing.
>
> I don't know about consolechars.

That's probably because Debian switched back from console-tools to
kbd. console-tools was unmaintained and kbd supported more stuff.
You want to use "setfont", or just edit /etc/default/console-setup
and restart console-setup. Note that setfont /is/ consolechars,
but supports larger fonts. I'm using a 16×32 font with the following
settings:

CHARMAP="UTF-8"
CODESET="Uni2"
FONTFACE="TerminusBold"
FONTSIZE="32x16"

i.e. /etc/default/console-setup is where setfont gets the font
information from; you don't need to run it by hand yourself. This
is actually a nice improvement over the previous methods.

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh

Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Chris Jones

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 06:01:58AM EST, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 01:13:39AM +0000, Phil Requirements wrote:
> > On 2011-01-02 14:23:55 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > Some characters are not displayed correctly on my monitor. The command
> > > consolechars -d used to correct this problem but now it is unknown.
> > >
> > > Now the command is gone and apt-cache search consolechars returns
> > > nothing.
> >
> > I don't know about consolechars.
>
> That's probably because Debian switched back from console-tools to
> kbd. console-tools was unmaintained and kbd supported more stuff.
> You want to use "setfont", or just edit /etc/default/console-setup
> and restart console-setup. Note that setfont /is/ consolechars,
> but supports larger fonts. I'm using a 16Ă—32 font with the following
> settings:
>
> CHARMAP="UTF-8"
> CODESET="Uni2"
> FONTFACE="TerminusBold"
> FONTSIZE="32x16"
>
> i.e. /etc/default/console-setup is where setfont gets the font
> information from; you don't need to run it by hand yourself. This
> is actually a nice improvement over the previous methods.

Also, take a look at ‘unicode_start’.

cj

Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 11:01:58AM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 01:13:39AM +0000, Phil Requirements wrote:
> > On 2011-01-02 14:23:55 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > Some characters are not displayed correctly on my monitor. The command
> > > consolechars -d used to correct this problem but now it is unknown.
> > >
> > > Now the command is gone and apt-cache search consolechars returns
> > > nothing.
> >
> > I don't know about consolechars.
>
> That's probably because Debian switched back from console-tools to
> kbd. console-tools was unmaintained and kbd supported more stuff.
> You want to use "setfont", or just edit /etc/default/console-setup
> and restart console-setup. Note that setfont /is/ consolechars,
> but supports larger fonts. I'm using a 16×32 font with the following
> settings:

Problem solved BUT after I changed
CHARMAP=ISO-8859-15 to
> CHARMAP="UTF-8"
and CODESET=Lat2 to
> CODESET="Uni2"
I left the following two entries unchanged as they were as shown
> FONTFACE="TerminusBold"
> FONTSIZE="32x16"

Then I ran setfont and the displayed fonts shrank to almost invisible
size but the lines and arrows indicating threads in mutt were correct.

In the past I struggled with miniscule font sizes and learned how to
correct this by setting the display size in grub. A reboot recovered
my preferred font sizes while preserving the new correct lines and
arrows indicating threads in mutt.

xterm was not installed so I installed it. When I ran xterm it aborted
saying DISPLAY was not set. Since everything works correctly now I
leave it as is.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Roger Leigh

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 08:48:21AM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 06:01:58AM EST, Roger Leigh wrote:

> > > I don't know about consolechars.
> >
> > That's probably because Debian switched back from console-tools to
> > kbd. console-tools was unmaintained and kbd supported more stuff.
> > You want to use "setfont", or just edit /etc/default/console-setup
> > and restart console-setup. Note that setfont /is/ consolechars,
> > but supports larger fonts. I'm using a 16Ă—32 font with the following
> > settings:
> >
> > CHARMAP="UTF-8"
> > CODESET="Uni2"
> > FONTFACE="TerminusBold"
> > FONTSIZE="32x16"
> >
> > i.e. /etc/default/console-setup is where setfont gets the font
> > information from; you don't need to run it by hand yourself. This
> > is actually a nice improvement over the previous methods.
>
> Also, take a look at ‘unicode_start’.

Note that if the locale set in /etc/default/locale (or
/etc/environment on older systems) has a UTF-8 charmap (as reported by
"locale charmap"), then the console will be put into unicode mode by
default automatically by the init scripts, which run unicode_start
for you.

[/etc/init.d/keymap.sh, /etc/init.d/kbd]

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh

Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Chris Jones

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 02:42:19PM EST, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 08:48:21AM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> > Also, take a look at ‘unicode_start’.

> Note that if the locale set in /etc/default/locale (or
> /etc/environment on older systems) has a UTF-8 charmap (as reported by
> "locale charmap"), then the console will be put into unicode mode by
> default automatically by the init scripts, which run unicode_start for
> you.

God's in his heaven, and all's well with the world.

cj