Old 01-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Default sleeping the system vs hibernate or suspend

Hi,

Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for sleeping the
system.

Sleeping, to me, is separate from hibernate or suspend which tries and
save the state of the machine to disk or ram. This was simply setting
the machine to low power state.

I've been going through the list archives and can't find the command.

Anyone know what I'm talking about ? ;-)

Thanks,

Brian

Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <20110102111840.3f39f13e@bamboo.deldotd.com>, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
>Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for sleeping the
>system.
>
>Sleeping, to me, is separate from hibernate or suspend which tries and
>save the state of the machine to disk or ram. This was simply setting
>the machine to low power state.

If you are talking about a low-power ACPI state, then you are indeed talking
about suspending the system or hibernating the system. Specifically, ACPI S3
: Suspend to RAM : "Sleep Mode" :: ACPI S4 : Suspend to Disk : "Hibernate".
The kernel has support for entering C3 (and I think S1) automatically. I
don't know how a Linux-based system can go into S2.

If you just want to turn off the monitor, search for DPMS.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-03-2011, 04:49 AM
Chris Jones

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 02:18:40PM EST, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for sleeping the
> system.

[..]

$ xset dpms force suspend # ..?

cj

Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 11:18:40 -0800, briand wrote:

> Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for sleeping the
> system.
>
> Sleeping, to me, is separate from hibernate or suspend which tries and
> save the state of the machine to disk or ram. This was simply setting
> the machine to low power state.
>
> I've been going through the list archives and can't find the command.
>
> Anyone know what I'm talking about ? ;-)

man pm-hibernate

But the only two methods I'm aware of are "suspension" (suspend to ram)
and "hibernation" (suspend to disk), but nothing in between :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM
MASOKIS

how about using "halt"...

VISIT ME @ HTTP://WWW.MASOKIS.COM

Old 01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Javier Vasquez

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM, <briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
> Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for sleeping the
> system.

acpitool -S => suspend to disk (hibernate) => Puts machine into S4.
acpitool -s => suspend to ram (sleep) => Puts machine into S3.

man acpitool

Putting the machine into S3 is problematic for several HW. In several
cases HW goes to S3 OK, but it has trouble coming back. That wouldn't
be much of a problem unless the HW is your video card, :-)

There are multiple ways to do the same thing, there are the pm-* tools
as well, and several other ones. I just prefer using acpitool, which
I have for years...

--
Javier.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:48 PM

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:44:22 -0600
Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM, <briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
> > Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for sleeping the
> > system.

> acpitool -S => suspend to disk (hibernate) => Puts machine into
> S4. acpitool -s => suspend to ram (sleep) => Puts machine
> into S3.
>
> man acpitool
>
> Putting the machine into S3 is problematic for several HW. In several
> cases HW goes to S3 OK, but it has trouble coming back. That wouldn't
> be much of a problem unless the HW is your video card, :-)
>
> There are multiple ways to do the same thing, there are the pm-* tools
> as well, and several other ones. I just prefer using acpitool, which
> I have for years...

ding ding ding - the winner.

I remembered the -s but couldn't remember the command :-)

Interesting though, I didn't realize that it was suspending to RAM.
Suspend to RAM says, to me, that it's actually copying current run-time
state to RAM as opposed to just putting the hardware into a low
power state, e.g. stopping the CPU, sleeping ethernet, etc... ?? So,
for example, the RAM doesn't actually need to be touched since
everything just remains where it is memory.

Well, time to read about acpi in more detail.

Now we'll see if it works with this hardware.

Thank you !

Brian

Old 01-03-2011, 04:49 PM

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:44:22 -0600
Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM, <briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
> > Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for sleeping the
> > system.

> acpitool -S => suspend to disk (hibernate) => Puts machine into
> S4. acpitool -s => suspend to ram (sleep) => Puts machine
> into S3.
>
> man acpitool

it is, appropriately, in the acpitool package.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 22:23:20 +0800, MASOKIS wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 11:18:40 -0800, briand wrote:
>>
>>> Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for sleeping the
>>> system.
>>>
>>> Sleeping, to me, is separate from hibernate or suspend which tries and
>>> save the state of the machine to disk or ram. *This was simply setting
>>> the machine to low power state.
>>>
>>> I've been going through the list archives and can't find the command.
>>>
>>> Anyone know what I'm talking about ? ;-)
>>
>> man pm-hibernate
>>
>> But the only two methods I'm aware of are "suspension" (suspend to ram)
>> and "hibernation" (suspend to disk), but nothing in between :-?

> how about using "halt"...

"Halt"? I use halt for shutting down (shutdown -h) or restarting
(shutdown -r) the system but not for going to sleep or hibernate the
machine :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

briand@aracnet.com wrote:

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:44:22 -0600
Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for sleeping the
system.

acpitool -S => suspend to disk (hibernate) => Puts machine into
S4. acpitool -s => suspend to ram (sleep) => Puts machine
into S3.

man acpitool

it is, appropriately, in the acpitool package.

But do either of the commands work?

Hugo