Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Michael Fothergill

Default making a pdf file smaller the debian way....

Dear Debian folks,

I have pdf file that is too big to be emailed around easily. I tried
making a zip file out of it but that only made it 1% smaller. I don't
have the scanner with me or I could have scanned it at lower
resolution.....

But e.g. adobe acrobat I think has an option in it somewhere to take a
pdf and reduce it in some way and then output a smaller file. I
possibly could install acrobat in some non free way that would do that
but I think you might be able to do it in ghostscript from some
limited googling I did. But maybe there would a better way.......

Suggestions welcome.

Michael Fothergill

Old 01-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Greg Madden

On Saturday 01 January 2011 02:36:51 pm Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Debian folks,
>
> I have pdf file that is too big to be emailed around easily. I tried
> making a zip file out of it but that only made it 1% smaller. I don't
> have the scanner with me or I could have scanned it at lower
> resolution.....
>
> But e.g. adobe acrobat I think has an option in it somewhere to take a
> pdf and reduce it in some way and then output a smaller file. I
> possibly could install acrobat in some non free way that would do that
> but I think you might be able to do it in ghostscript from some
> limited googling I did. But maybe there would a better way.......
>

> Suggestions welcome.
>
> Michael Fothergill

One way ... using the cli, install 'poppler-utils'. It contains a bunch of tools
for manipulating pdf files : 'pdftops' ,

'Ghostscript' for resizing/rescaling , 'psresize' and changing back to pdf
from 'ps', 'pstopdf'

http://khuang.blogspot.com/2010/09/cropresize-pdf-page-in-linux.html

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 AM
shawn wilson

Converting your scans to text (ocr) might yield you some improvement. Ymmv depending on the text, images, number of pages, etc. If there are mainly graphics here, you might look into raster to vector software.

I do not have any recommendations for such software.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Michael Fothergill

OK,

Here is what I did here:

The google search suggestion was to do this:

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen
-dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf

What is peculiar here is that man gs and info gs find the NOPAUSE
QUIET and BATCH commands or options or whatever they are called but
the DEVICE=pdfwrite isn't obvious in there at all... Neither is
PDFSETTINGS. Nevertheless someone knew this...

So I tried the above command substituting my pdf file as input.pdf and
creating a suitable name for output.pdf and then hit return in a
sheepish ignorant kind of way and amazingly enough it worked. I got a
pdf file that was much smaller in size but looked fine in evince.

The info and man write ups are a bit babbitesque/delphic for me. I
will look at the ghostscript documentation package I installed and see
if I can figure out what this set of commands are doing here a bit
more clearly while being glad that they worked.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Doug

I have pdf file that is too big to be emailed around easily. I tried
making a zip file out of it but that only made it 1% smaller. I don't
have the scanner with me or I could have scanned it at lower
resolution.....

But e.g. adobe acrobat I think has an option in it somewhere to take a
pdf and reduce it in some way and then output a smaller file. I
possibly could install acrobat in some non free way that would do that
but I think you might be able to do it in ghostscript from some
limited googling I did. But maybe there would a better way.......

Suggestions welcome.

Michael Fothergill

Just in the last day or two, someone wrote to the list (probably this one)
that there are a couple of repos you can get to from Debian that hold
proprietary software, and probably Adobe Acrobat. Either scan for
that info, or maybe someone will chime in with the proper directions.
(I'm using Acrobat in another distro. It works fine.)

--doug

Archive: 4D1FE7FF.20109@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D1FE7FF.20109@optonline.net

Old 01-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Michael Fothergill

>> Suggestions welcome.
>>
>> Michael Fothergill
>>
> Just in the last day or two, someone wrote to the list (probably this one)
> that there are a couple of repos you can get to from Debian that hold
> proprietary software, and probably Adobe Acrobat. *Either scan for
> that info, or maybe someone will chime in with the proper directions.
> (I'm using Acrobat in another distro. *It works fine.)
>
> --doug

I have the debian non free mulltimedia link set up in my apt sources file.
I did

apt-get update && apt-get install acroread mozilla-acroread (another
google search recommendation)

and successfully installed Acrobat 9 but when I tried it although it
read the pdf file in fine the google search tip of using the file
reduction option in the document menu option didn't seem to appear.
All I got were a sign and security pair of sub menu options under the
document section of the task bar or whatever its called that didn't
give me any other options when I mouse clicked on them.

So I gave up with Acrobat and used the ghostscript command gs
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen
-dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf which
worked really well and made a smaller pdf file for me.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Greg Madden

On Saturday 01 January 2011 05:42:28 pm Michael Fothergill wrote:
> OK,
>
> Here is what I did here:
>
> The google search suggestion was to do this:
>
> gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen
> -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf
>
> What is peculiar here is that man gs and info gs find the NOPAUSE
> QUIET and BATCH commands or options or whatever they are called but
> the DEVICE=pdfwrite isn't obvious in there at all... Neither is
> PDFSETTINGS. Nevertheless someone knew this...

I don't use this stuff often enough to remember the options, each project I do I
have a learning curve. The package 'ghostscript-doc' is a good source for the
options.

snippy

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Michael Fothergill:
> Doug:
> > Just in the last day or two, someone wrote to the list (probably
> > this one) that there are a couple of repos you can get to from
> > Debian that hold proprietary software, and probably Adobe Acrobat.
>
> I have the debian non free mulltimedia link set up in my apt sources
> file. I did
>
> apt-get update && apt-get install acroread
>
> and successfully installed Acrobat 9 but when I tried it although it
> read the pdf file in fine the google search tip of using the file
> reduction option in the document menu option didn't seem to appear.

You're confusing Adobe Reader with Adobe Acrobat. The latter, meant
for manipulating pdfs (not just reading them), is only commercially
available.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 02:42:28 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> Here is what I did here:
>
> The google search suggestion was to do this:
>
> gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen
> -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf

(...)

> The info and man write ups are a bit babbitesque/delphic for me. I
> will look at the ghostscript documentation package I installed and see
> if I can figure out what this set of commands are doing here a bit more
> clearly while being glad that they worked.

When it comes to PDF size, it's all about resolution and images
compression method.

What does the above command is outputing a PDF with lower quality and a
higher compression method for images and you get all that by using "-
dPDFSETTINGS=/screen" which is a "shorcut" for a mode that automatically
reduces the whole dpi of the document (maybe from 1200dpi to 300/600dpi)
and sets images to 72dpi resulting in a reduced PDF file size.

Other preset modes are "-dPDFSETTINGS=/print" and "-dPDFSETTINGS=/press"
which provides higher quality PDF and so, a bigger file size.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Brian

On Sun 02 Jan 2011 at 02:42:28 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> So I tried the above command substituting my pdf file as input.pdf and
> creating a suitable name for output.pdf and then hit return in a
> sheepish ignorant kind of way and amazingly enough it worked. I got a
> pdf file that was much smaller in size but looked fine in evince.

Using the same command my experience with a variety of pdf documents has
been very mixed. One or two are reduced to 10% of the original sizes,
most have no significant reduction and one is three times larger.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/cvs/Ps2pdf.htm