FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Mark Goldshtein
 
Default Squeeze. apt-get update failed to fetch .../binary-i386/Packages.gz

Hello, list!

Today's log of apt-get update:
[...]
Err http://http.us.debian.org squeeze/updates/contrib i386 Packages
404 Not Found [IP: 35.9.37.225 80]
W: Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/updates/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz
404 Not Found [IP: 35.9.37.225 80]

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Is that temporary problem or there is need to change something in
source.list? Before this, all updates went smooth.

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
## Debian Squeeze sources.list

## Debian security updates:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates contrib

## Debian.org:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

## Debian Multimedia - Christian Marrillat repository:
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free


deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates contrib non-free main

deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main

Thanks in advance for your time!


--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTi=yvcDxLX7jkyafF6UwUDTrgVM6WDsprwO8Of3x@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=yvcDxLX7jkyafF6UwUDTrgVM6WDsprwO8Of3x@mail .gmail.com
 
Old 01-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Bob Proulx
 
Default Squeeze. apt-get update failed to fetch .../binary-i386/Packages.gz

Mark Goldshtein wrote:
> Is that temporary problem or there is need to change something in
> source.list? Before this, all updates went smooth.

Those kinds of errors tend to be temporary. The http.us.debian.org
and ftp.us.debian.org names are mapped to multiple addresses so that
you will round-robin among them. If one address is down then if you
try again you will likely get a different server.

Bob
 
Old 01-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Mark Goldshtein
 
Default Squeeze. apt-get update failed to fetch .../binary-i386/Packages.gz

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>> Is that temporary problem or there is need to change something in
>> source.list? Before this, all updates went smooth.
>
> Those kinds of errors tend to be temporary. *The http.us.debian.org
> and ftp.us.debian.org names are mapped to multiple addresses so that
> you will round-robin among them. *If one address is down then if you
> try again you will likely get a different server.

Thanks Bob!

Does the 'http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/contrib i386
Packages/DiffIndex' and 'http://http.us.debian.org squeeze/contrib
i386 Packages/DiffIndex' are contain the same packages for update?

'Ftp' is accessed normally, so should I continue with an update? Or,
it is necessary to wait until # apt-get update will return no errors
at all?
Maybe this is just a bug?

In addition, as I am monitoring 'Debian User Mailing list', nobody
else has reported that problem in Squeeze.

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTi=7x0_OGqGB5Drqd468Z-Xk1rbc0dxZq-DX65-C@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=7x0_OGqGB5Drqd468Z-Xk1rbc0dxZq-DX65-C@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Bob Proulx
 
Default Squeeze. apt-get update failed to fetch .../binary-i386/Packages.gz

Mark Goldshtein wrote:
> Does the 'http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/contrib i386
> Packages/DiffIndex' and 'http://http.us.debian.org squeeze/contrib
> i386 Packages/DiffIndex' are contain the same packages for update?

When I read your message I was going to comment upon some of your
/etc/apt/sources.list entries. But I didn't have the time to double
check to see if what I was going to say was going to be wrong and so
didn't make the comment. They were your entries after all. I assumed
that you had some reason to put them there. But here you are asking
about them so I will say something regardless.

You had the following entries:

> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates contrib non-free main
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates contrib
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

Double check those. Or maybe just clean out your file and start
again. You appeared to have a significant amount of lint collected in
your file.

For Lenny I have:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free
deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib non-free
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free

For Squeeze I propose (squeeze is not released yet):

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
## available after release: deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile squeeze/volatile main contrib non-free
## available after release: deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile squeeze/volatile main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

Try that and you should have better luck.

Bob
 
Old 01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Mark Goldshtein
 
Default Squeeze. apt-get update failed to fetch .../binary-i386/Packages.gz

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>> Does the 'http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/contrib i386
>> Packages/DiffIndex' and 'http://http.us.debian.org squeeze/contrib
>> i386 Packages/DiffIndex' are contain the same packages for update?
>
> When I read your message I was going to comment upon some of your
> /etc/apt/sources.list entries. *But I didn't have the time to double
> check to see if what I was going to say was going to be wrong and so
> didn't make the comment. *They were your entries after all. *I assumed
> that you had some reason to put them there. *But here you are asking
> about them so I will say something regardless.
>
> You had the following entries:
>
>> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates contrib non-free main
>> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates contrib
>> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
>
> Double check those. *Or maybe just clean out your file and start
> again. *You appeared to have a significant amount of lint collected in
> your file.
>
> For Lenny I have:
>
> *deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free
> *deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free
> *deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib non-free
> *deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib non-free
> *deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
> *deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
>
> For Squeeze I propose (squeeze is not released yet):
>
> *deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
> *deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
> *## available after release: deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile squeeze/volatile main contrib non-free
> *## available after release: deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile squeeze/volatile main contrib non-free
> *deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
> *deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
>
> Try that and you should have better luck.
>

Thanks for your time, Bob! Everything is fine now.

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTi=+mmWHcwbW3-ZRsWdorgg72-aEsZJ034FXqU2H@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=+mmWHcwbW3-ZRsWdorgg72-aEsZJ034FXqU2H@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Alaric
 
Default Squeeze. apt-get update failed to fetch .../binary-i386/Packages.gz

I note you say you have not had any other comment. I get the same
error. I still get the standard red gear wheel on the application bar,
updates are downloaded and installed without problem and the programme
reports my system is up to date but I still get an orange triangle with
an exclamation mark in the centre and it reports the 'fetch failed' message.


I had assumed that 'lint' in the file was the cause. My problem is
that I am comparatively new to Debian though I have used Mandrake and
Mandriva for years. I don't know which file I need to look at and clear
out the lint.


I don't suppose it matters much but I don't like things on my screen
which I don't understand, can't use and can't get rid of.


Debian appears to be the only distro which still offers a list of
suported hardware, that's why I changed. Mandrake won't print to my
Brother HL 2040,they no longer offer help unless you sign up for a
monthly fee and the help I got elsewhere didn't work. I must say I like
Debian.


Thanks in advance, Regards,

Alaric Wood


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F136404.5070406@xtra.co.nz">http://lists.debian.org/4F136404.5070406@xtra.co.nz
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:19 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org