Old 01-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Daniel Andersson

Default Not able to update using apt

Hi

I just installed Debian Squeeze on a Eee PC. The installer downloaded
all the packages during the install but when I want to install more
packages at the prompt I only get:

Could not resolve 'ftp.sunet.se'

I've only selected laptop and webserver with tasksel during installation.

I'm able to ping ftp.sunet.se and the mirror is working on my other
laptop. /etc/resolv.conf is updated correctly, I get an IP from my
router. It does not help getting a new lease using dhclient.

Any ideas?

Best regards
Daniel Andersson

Archive: 4D1F7D00.1020800@daniel-gr-andersson.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D1F7D00.1020800@daniel-gr-andersson.com

Old 01-01-2011, 07:09 PM
David Sastre

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 08:14:08PM +0100, Daniel Andersson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just installed Debian Squeeze on a Eee PC. The installer
> downloaded all the packages during the install but when I want to
> install more packages at the prompt I only get:
>
> Could not resolve 'ftp.sunet.se'
>
> I've only selected laptop and webserver with tasksel during installation.
>
> I'm able to ping ftp.sunet.se and the mirror is working on my other
> laptop. /etc/resolv.conf is updated correctly, I get an IP from my
> router. It does not help getting a new lease using dhclient.
>
> Any ideas?

Hello,

How does your /etc/apt/sources.list (or any files under
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/) look like?

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB

Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Daniel Andersson

I just installed Debian Squeeze on a Eee PC. The installer
downloaded all the packages during the install but when I want to
install more packages at the prompt I only get:

Could not resolve 'ftp.sunet.se'

I've only selected laptop and webserver with tasksel during installation.

I'm able to ping ftp.sunet.se and the mirror is working on my other
laptop. /etc/resolv.conf is updated correctly, I get an IP from my
router. It does not help getting a new lease using dhclient.

Any ideas?

Hello,

How does your /etc/apt/sources.list (or any files under
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/) look like?

I chose ftp.sunet.se as mirror during installation, but I get the same
error message for security.debian.org

#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Squeeze_ - Official Snapshot i386
NETINST Binary-1 20100217-22:18]/ squeeze main

deb http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/debian/ squeeze main
deb-src http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/debian/ squeeze main

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

Archive: 4D1FB2F2.7070705@daniel-gr-andersson.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D1FB2F2.7070705@daniel-gr-andersson.com

Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 00:04:18 +0100, Daniel Andersson wrote:

> On 01/01/2011 09:09 PM, David Sastre wrote:

>>> Could not resolve 'ftp.sunet.se'
>>>
>>> I've only selected laptop and webserver with tasksel during
>>> installation.
>>>
>>> I'm able to ping ftp.sunet.se and the mirror is working on my other
>>> laptop. /etc/resolv.conf is updated correctly, I get an IP from my
>>> router. It does not help getting a new lease using dhclient.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

>> How does your /etc/apt/sources.list (or any files under
>> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/) look like?
>>

> I chose ftp.sunet.se as mirror during installation, but I get the same
> error message for security.debian.org

Type "host security.debian.org; cat /etc/resolv.conf"

It looks like a dns server error, you can try by setting up another ones.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-02-2011, 11:50 AM
David Sastre

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 12:04:18AM +0100, Daniel Andersson wrote:
> On 01/01/2011 09:09 PM, David Sastre wrote:
> >On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 08:14:08PM +0100, Daniel Andersson wrote:
> >>
> >>I just installed Debian Squeeze on a Eee PC. The installer
> >>downloaded all the packages during the install but when I want to
> >>install more packages at the prompt I only get:
> >>
> >>Could not resolve 'ftp.sunet.se'
> >>
> >>I'm able to ping ftp.sunet.se and the mirror is working on my other
> >>laptop. /etc/resolv.conf is updated correctly, I get an IP from my
> >>router. It does not help getting a new lease using dhclient.
> >
> >How does your /etc/apt/sources.list (or any files under
> >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/) look like?
>
> deb http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/debian/ squeeze main
> deb-src http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/debian/ squeeze main

Can you try:

-another mirror
-apt-get/aptitude update
-apt-get/aptitude install some.package

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB

Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Daniel Andersson

I just installed Debian Squeeze on a Eee PC. The installer
downloaded all the packages during the install but when I want to
install more packages at the prompt I only get:

Could not resolve 'ftp.sunet.se'

I'm able to ping ftp.sunet.se and the mirror is working on my other
laptop. /etc/resolv.conf is updated correctly, I get an IP from my
router. It does not help getting a new lease using dhclient.

How does your /etc/apt/sources.list (or any files under
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/) look like?

deb http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/debian/ squeeze main
deb-src http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/debian/ squeeze main

Can you try:

-another mirror
-apt-get/aptitude update
-apt-get/aptitude install some.package

I finally figured it out. The cheap router I share with my neighbor does
not handle IPv6. After disabling IPv6 all is good:

echo net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1 > /etc/sysctl.d/disableipv6.conf

edit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf and
* Comment out:
alias net-pf-10 ipv6
* Add:
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

and also setting network.dns.disableIPv6 to true for Iceweasel and
Thunderbird