Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 PM
"Nelson Castillo"

Default How can to set debian to write as less as possible (to use it on Flash drive)

> > but who can i disable writes without damaging my system i guess linked tmp
> > with ramdisk is a start but i need more ideas .
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> why not look at one of the distro's that are built for flash drive (openwrt ?)

Mmm. I guess openwrt is not enough for a laptop. I guess it is
OK to use a ramdisk for /tmp, and for the log files (you might want to
configure syslog to log less).

Regards,
Nelson.-

--
http://arhuaco.org

Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:53:38PM +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:
> Since my main pc is laptop i need something that will be as faill proof as
> posible.
> so i thought maybe to use flash drive as main drive and forget the swap or
> what ever the problem rises how ?
>
> I'm not sure but most of todaies flash drive has a lifetime for 50K write
> per bit (not sure since i read about 100K somewhere) so it is really bad
> idea to use flash as swap or /var/log etc.
>
> the main question is how to set my favorite flavor (sid , sorry etch but i
> don't love backports.. ) to work with as less as possible writes?
> Ideas ? guides ? or what ever ...
> but who can i disable writes without damaging my system i guess linked tmp
> with ramdisk is a start but i need more ideas .

First, turn off atime on mounts.
Add enough memory so that you never need swap. Then, use a swap file if
needed. Put /tmp on tmpfs.

Or, run a live CD like GRML and put /home on the flash drive.

Flash-drive systems are often used on embedded devices. I know that
many people use OpenBSD on their laptops and also on Soekris embedded
devices (e.g. as firewalls). You could check the OpenBSD website for
some docs and check the misc@openbsd archives.

Doug.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
"Kelly Harding"

There are special flash filesystems developed.

One of these is jffs iirc. Look at embedded linux/distro information
as they do a lot with these sorts of things.

Kelly

Old 02-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:53:38PM +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:
> Good day,...
>
> Since my main pc is laptop i need something that will be as faill proof as
> posible.
>
> so i thought maybe to use flash drive as main drive and forget the swap or
> what ever the problem rises how ?

There are a number of ways to help you work with flash. But I'm not sure
you'll end up with a system that is over-all more reliable than a
journled file system.

> I'm not sure but most of todaies flash drive has a lifetime for 50K write
> per bit (not sure since i read about 100K somewhere) so it is really bad
> idea to use flash as swap or /var/log etc.
>
> the main question is how to set my favorite flavor (sid , sorry etch but i
> don't love backports.. ) to work with as less as possible writes?
> Ideas ? guides ? or what ever ...
>
> <To understend how to start>
> http://wiki.flimzy.com/index.php/Install_Debian_on_USB
> </To understend how to start>
>
> but who can i disable writes without damaging my system i guess linked tmp
> with ramdisk is a start but i need more ideas .
>
> Thank you in advance.

debian-live and such use usnionfs (or actually: aufs) to uinion-mount a
ramdisk (for writing) on top of the DOK / CD (read-only). But if the
power goes down suddenly, then bye-bye changes.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend