-   -   access point using 3945 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/470954-access-point-using-3945-a.html)

12-31-2010 09:00 PM

access point using 3945

Hello,

looks like one good way to go about it is to use hostapd.

however there's supposed to be nl80211 driver which I need.

I can .h files when I search through debian, but no binary looking
thingy, and the hostapd package does not contain it.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Looks like the iwl3945 driver can NOT be used to operate as an access
point.

Thanks,

Brian

Andrei Popescu 01-01-2011 01:04 PM

access point using 3945

On Vi, 31 dec 10, 14:00:04, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> looks like one good way to go about it is to use hostapd.
>
> however there's supposed to be nl80211 driver which I need.
>
> I can .h files when I search through debian, but no binary looking
> thingy, and the hostapd package does not contain it.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this.
>
> Looks like the iwl3945 driver can NOT be used to operate as an access
> point.

You might be over-thinking this. Just install hostapd and edit the
config to your liking (the file is very well commented).

Regards,
Andrei

Camaleón 01-01-2011 03:30 PM

access point using 3945

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 14:00:04 -0800, briand wrote:

> Hello,
>
> looks like one good way to go about it is to use hostapd.
>
> however there's supposed to be nl80211 driver which I need.
>
> I can .h files when I search through debian, but no binary looking
> thingy, and the hostapd package does not contain it.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this.
>
> Looks like the iwl3945 driver can NOT be used to operate as an access
> point.

You can run "iw list" to get the capabilities of your card and what
"modes" supports.

OTOH, it seems that "iwl3945" driver does not allow the card to be set in
master mode (AP), as you said:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers

Additional documentation on this can be found here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

01-01-2011 03:35 PM

access point using 3945

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:04:36 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Vi, 31 dec 10, 14:00:04, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > looks like one good way to go about it is to use hostapd.
> >
> > however there's supposed to be nl80211 driver which I need.
> >
> > I can .h files when I search through debian, but no binary looking
> > thingy, and the hostapd package does not contain it.
> >
> > Can anyone shed some light on this.
> >
> > Looks like the iwl3945 driver can NOT be used to operate as an
> > access point.
>
> You might be over-thinking this. Just install hostapd and edit the
> config to your liking (the file is very well commented).

Well you'd be right if I was running stable. I just looked and there
is a /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf file in the stable package.

Looking at the _unstable_ package, that file is gone.

Package bug ?

Regardless, many of the examples I can find on the intertubes use the
nl80211 module, and hostapd complains that it is missing.

Brian

01-01-2011 05:17 PM

access point using 3945

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:30:52 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> OTOH, it seems that "iwl3945" driver does not allow the card to be
> set in master mode (AP), as you said:
>
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers

That is correct.

> Additional documentation on this can be found here:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd

Which tells me this:

#change wlan0 to your wireless device
interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ssid=test
channel=1

If that config errors out with something like:

hostapd $ sudo hostapd ./hostapd.conf
Configuration file: ./hostapd.conf
Line 2: invalid/unknown driver 'nl80211'
1 errors found in configuration file './hostapd.conf'

that means that your distro is not shipping hostapd with nl80211 driver
support...

ergo - Debian hostapd package is not shipping with nl80211 support.
Whether that is, in fact, the correct driver to use is a different
story. So far it looks like it _should_ work with the 3945 AND should
provide master mode functionality. And really it looks like the debian
package isn't shipping with ANY of the drivers. Maybe they are
supposed to be kernel drivers ? I don't think so, as the above web page
tells me that these are supposed to be user space.

I'm in the unfortunate position of blazing a trail here. Most of the
information is scattered all over and contradictory.

Brian

01-01-2011 05:22 PM

access point using 3945

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:30:52 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> OTOH, it seems that "iwl3945" driver does not allow the card to be
> set in master mode (AP), as you said:
>
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers
>
> Additional documentation on this can be found here:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd

aargh. I think I finally figured out what's going on - the web pages
were quite confusing. looks like I'm SOL, and that I do _have_ to use
the iwl3945 driver for the device. I thought it had been superceded by
an open-source driver which provided AP functionality.

I was wrong. don't buy this card if you want to turn it into an AP.
All you folks that think closed-source drivers don't matter - this
is why it does. I can't do this precisely because this goofy card uses
a closed source binary firmware load.

Brian

Andrei Popescu 01-01-2011 06:04 PM

access point using 3945

On Sb, 01 ian 11, 08:35:57, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> Well you'd be right if I was running stable. I just looked and there
> is a /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf file in the stable package.
>
> Looking at the _unstable_ package, that file is gone.
>
> Package bug ?
>
> Regardless, many of the examples I can find on the intertubes use the
> nl80211 module, and hostapd complains that it is missing.

I've set up an AP with a ralink card, but unfortunately that system is
not on-line to check how it is set up. I recall using a kernel from
backports though.

Regards,
Andrei

01-01-2011 08:35 PM

access point using 3945

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 21:04:37 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sb, 01 ian 11, 08:35:57, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> >
> > Well you'd be right if I was running stable. I just looked and
> > there is a /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf file in the stable package.
> >
> > Looking at the _unstable_ package, that file is gone.
> >
> > Package bug ?
> >
> > Regardless, many of the examples I can find on the intertubes use
> > the nl80211 module, and hostapd complains that it is missing.
>
> I've set up an AP with a ralink card, but unfortunately that system
> is not on-line to check how it is set up. I recall using a kernel
> from backports though.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

yes, some of the ralink cards support ap mode.

looks like I need to get something with an atheros chipset.

the cards are not too expensive, so not a big deal.

Brian

Camaleón 01-02-2011 10:07 AM

access point using 3945

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 10:22:40 -0800, briand wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:30:52 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> OTOH, it seems that "iwl3945" driver does not allow the card to be set
>> in master mode (AP), as you said:
>>
>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers
>>
>> Additional documentation on this can be found here:
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd
>>

> aargh. I think I finally figured out what's going on - the web pages
> were quite confusing. looks like I'm SOL, and that I do _have_ to use
> the iwl3945 driver for the device. I thought it had been superceded by
> an open-source driver which provided AP functionality.

Let's see... Yes, the docs are quite confusing.

As I understand, "nl80211" is not a driver "per se" but an API for
drivers to use of it. It seems it will replace "wext" extentions and
that's all its role.

If we continue reading, we get:

"All new mac80211 based drivers that implement AP functionality are
supported with hostapd's nl80211 driver."

Note the "that implement AP functionality", because I think that's the
key point here. So we if we go to the drivers table we can see that Intel
drivers support "cfg80211" but not all modes are available.

> I was wrong. don't buy this card if you want to turn it into an AP. All
> you folks that think closed-source drivers don't matter - this is why it
> does. I can't do this precisely because this goofy card uses a closed
> source binary firmware load.

Yes, that's right. I'm afraid your hardware/firmware combo does not
support AP mode :-(

The "why", I dunno. Note that Broadcom cards (b43) or Ralink (rt2800,
some models) also need a closed or non-modificable firmware but still
they provide AP capabilities :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón 01-02-2011 10:09 AM

access point using 3945

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 10:17:21 -0800, briand wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:30:52 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Additional documentation on this can be found here:
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd
>
> Which tells me this:
>
> #change wlan0 to your wireless device interface=wlan0
> driver=nl80211
> ssid=test
> channel=1
>
> If that config errors out with something like:
>
> hostapd $ sudo hostapd ./hostapd.conf Configuration file: ./hostapd.conf
> Line 2: invalid/unknown driver 'nl80211' 1 errors found in configuration
> file './hostapd.conf'
>
> that means that your distro is not shipping hostapd with nl80211 driver
> support...

(...)

No, I explain a bit more in the other post :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón