Old 12-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Doug

Default Stupid consumers and inferior hardware

On 12/31/2010 12:50 PM, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:03:24 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell<zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

Manufacturers are not doing this because the consumer wants it. They
are doing it to cut costs.

/snip/

they get away with it because most people run windows, the mfr provides
the driver, and when it breaks, people expect it because it's windows.

/snip/

You will always be in trouble with hardware under Linux because of the
lack of mfr's drivers, and when they do provide drivers they are
generally binary objects, e.g. NVIDIA.

It's very frustrating, so I for one appreciate your rant :-)

Brian

Why does it bother you that the driver is a binary? Are you qualified to
modify it if you had the source code? Certainly 99% of us are not, nor
would we want to if we could. In the immortal words of Anne Landers,
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

(I, for one, am very happy that NVIDIA provides the driver. I just
installed a card with their GeForce code in it, and I needed the driver.)

--doug