Old 12-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Attila Csosz

Default installing X with apt-get

Hi,

I'd like to install a minimal X window system with 'apt-get install', with a simple window manager (for example icewm). How to do that?
I tried "apt-get install xserver-xorg xbase-clients xinit" but still have a font problem (X exiting)

What is the simplest command for later use?

Thanks

Old 12-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Brian

On Fri 31 Dec 2010 at 19:49:40 +0100, Attila Csosz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to install a minimal X window system with 'apt-get install', with a
> simple window manager (for example icewm). How to do that?
> I tried "apt-get install xserver-xorg xbase-clients xinit" but still have a
> font problem (X exiting)
> What is the simplest command for later use?

I did something similar recently but without a window manager:

apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-geode

then

apt-get install xinit

followed by installing an X terminal-emulator. You will want something
other than the geode server.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 31 dec 10, 19:49:40, Attila Csosz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to install a minimal X window system with 'apt-get install', with a
> simple window manager (for example icewm). How to do that?
> I tried "apt-get install xserver-xorg xbase-clients xinit" but still have a
> font problem (X exiting)
> What is the simplest command for later use?

You also need xfonts-base and possbily also xfonts-100dpi and
xfonts-75dpi

Regards,
Andrei

Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 19:49:40 +0100
Attila Csosz <csosz77@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to install a minimal X window system with 'apt-get install',
> with a simple window manager (for example icewm). How to do that?
> I tried "apt-get install xserver-xorg xbase-clients xinit" but still
> have a font problem (X exiting)
> What is the simplest command for later use?
>
> Thanks

Here's the fonts I've got on my system. I'm running as simply as I
can, with openbox for a window manager (and lxpanel). Don't even have
a "login manager" or whatever it's called. Just startx using .xsession.

ii libxfont1 1:1.4.1-2
X11 font rasterisation library
ii xfonts-100dpi 1:1.0.3
100 dpi fonts for X
ii xfonts-base 1:1.0.3
standard fonts for X
ii xfonts-encodings 1:1.0.4-1
Encodings for X.Org fonts
ii xfonts-mathml 4
Type1 Symbol font for MathML
ii xfonts-utils 1:7.6~1
X Window System font utility programs

Brian

Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Mark Neyhart

Attila Csosz wrote:
> I'd like to install a minimal X window system with 'apt-get install', with a simple window manager (for example icewm). How to do that?
> I tried "apt-get install xserver-xorg xbase-clients xinit" but still have a font problem (X exiting)
> What is the simplest command for later use?

I use icewm on a Lenny system. I installed two X packages and then icewm.

apt-get install xserver-xorg-core
apt-get install xfonts-base
apt-get install icewm