Old 02-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Andrew Henry

Default hard drive not spinning down.

I run Lenny on an Acer Aspire 5021WLMi laptop as an ssh server and I
noticed that the hard drive is getting very very hot so that the
touchpad is almost burning hot. I suspect that the drive is not
spinning down when idle (and it's basically *always* idle, unless I
connect from work). How can I check if it is spinning down and are
there any commands to do this manually? I had to install cpufreq tools
to enable stepping on my CPU manually, so it seems like power management
tools aren't enabled by default in Debian?

--andrew

--
GnuPG Key ID: ECB18ABA
Fingerprint: FDF3 91FC F5BC 1164 E217 315E 337E 219B ECB1 8ABA

Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 07:22:22PM +0100, Andrew Henry wrote:
> I run Lenny on an Acer Aspire 5021WLMi laptop as an ssh server and I
> noticed that the hard drive is getting very very hot so that the
> touchpad is almost burning hot. I suspect that the drive is not
> spinning down when idle (and it's basically *always* idle, unless I
> connect from work). How can I check if it is spinning down and are
> there any commands to do this manually? I had to install cpufreq tools
> to enable stepping on my CPU manually, so it seems like power management
> tools aren't enabled by default in Debian?

Well, if the fans are working on the laptop it should never get burning
hot. There's no reason why a laptop can't run with its drive spinning
all the time (unless its on battery and you want to save the battery).

Check for airflow. Also, note any difference in airflow between bios
screen (where you can verify the fan rpm) and during boot, and after
booting into debian.

Doug.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Mon February 4 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > I run Lenny on an Acer Aspire 5021WLMi laptop as an ssh server and I
> > noticed that the hard drive is getting very very hot so that the
> > touchpad is almost burning hot. *I suspect that the drive is not
> > spinning down when idle (and it's basically *always* idle, unless I
> > connect from work). *How can I check if it is spinning down and are
> > there any commands to do this manually? *I had to install cpufreq tools
> > to enable stepping on my CPU manually, so it seems like power management
> > tools aren't enabled by default in Debian?
>
> Well, if the fans are working on the laptop it should never get burning
> hot. *There's no reason why a laptop can't run with its drive spinning
> all the time (unless its on battery and you want to save the battery).
>
> Check for airflow. *Also, note any difference in airflow between bios
> screen (where you can verify the fan rpm) and during boot, and after
> booting into debian.
>
> Doug.

you can also install powertop. It tells you what you can do to save power,
including spinning down the drives faster. I always keep my laptop on
coasters, so there is airflow beneath it, and MAKE SURE you have the vent
area clear, where tha fans blow out the hot air. I sometimes forget, and put
papers and large objects too close, and block the vents.. a sure way to heat
up your laptop in a hurry!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 02-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Andrew Henry

Paul Cartwright wrote:

Well, if the fans are working on the laptop
it should never get burning

hot. *There's no reason why a laptop can't run with its drive spinning
all the time (unless its on battery and you want to save the battery).

I would like it to spin down not just to stop overheating but to save
energy (and the life of the drive).

Check for airflow. *Also, note any difference in airflow between bios
screen (where you can verify the fan rpm) and during boot, and after
booting into debian.

Doug.

Airflow was probably the reason.* The vent was blocked with dust, so I
vacuumed it and the fans don't sound as loud now.* Reason for this mail
is because a few days ago I walked into the room to smell the
distinctive odour of fried electronics.* Dunno what blew, but it all
seems to work still, although when I opened the lid before shutting
down, the gdm greeter had gone completely blank with a flickering "scan
line" (yes I know its LCD) at the top.* not good.

you can also install powertop. It tells you what you can do to save power,
including spinning down the drives faster. I always keep my laptop on
coasters, so there is airflow beneath it, and MAKE SURE you have the vent
area clear, where tha fans blow out the hot air. I sometimes forget, and put
papers and large objects too close, and block the vents.. a sure way to heat
up your laptop in a hurry!

I already use powertop, but have not yet managed to figure out where to
put all the suggestions so that they are activated on boot.* I have a
script to run manually, but some of the suggestions are harder for me
to figure out.

Thanks for the tips, but is there no tool that can set the power saving
mode of the drive?* I have an external usb drive that spins down after
a ew minutes idle time, and I would like the same on the internal drive.

--andrew

Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 07:22:22PM +0100, Andrew Henry wrote:
> I run Lenny on an Acer Aspire 5021WLMi laptop as an ssh server and I
> noticed that the hard drive is getting very very hot so that the
> touchpad is almost burning hot. I suspect that the drive is not
> spinning down when idle (and it's basically *always* idle, unless I
> connect from work). How can I check if it is spinning down and are
> there any commands to do this manually? I had to install cpufreq tools
> to enable stepping on my CPU manually, so it seems like power management
> tools aren't enabled by default in Debian?

what kernel are you running? the power management seems to be kind of
borked in 2.6.24 and requires some hacking to get it to funciton
reasonably.

(/me anxiously awaits updates to acpi, laptop_mode, powertop etc etc
etc).

Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Andrew Henry

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> what kernel are you running? the power management seems to be kind of
> borked in 2.6.24 and requires some hacking to get it to funciton
> reasonably.

2.6.23-9