Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Marc Shapiro

Default Flash on Iceweasel?

I am trying to get flash running on my netbook, which is running
Iceweasel on Squeeze. I have installed flashplugin-nonfree, but when I
go to a flash site it says that I need to install missing plugins and
the link does not find any available plugins. Also, despite the fact
that flashplugin-nonfree is installed, If I check Tools/Add-Ons/Plugins
it does not show flash.

What am I doing wrong?

Marc

Archive: 4D1D0089.7040100@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D1D0089.7040100@gmail.com

Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Simon Hollenbach

> I am trying to get flash running on my netbook, which is running

> Iceweasel on Squeeze.* I have installed flashplugin-nonfree, but when I

> go to a flash site it says that I need to install missing plugins and

> the link does not find any available plugins.* Also, despite the fact

> that flashplugin-nonfree is installed, If I check Tools/Add-Ons/Plugins

> it does not show flash.

Try:

$sudo update-alternatives --config flash-mozilla.so

and select flashplugin-nonfree

Bye

Simon

Old 12-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

I am trying to get flash running on my netbook, which is running
Iceweasel on Squeeze. I have installed flashplugin-nonfree, but when I
go to a flash site it says that I need to install missing plugins and
the link does not find any available plugins. Also, despite the fact
that flashplugin-nonfree is installed, If I check Tools/Add-Ons/Plugins
it does not show flash.

What am I doing wrong?

Marc

If you type

aboutlugins

into the address field and hit the Return key, do you find the flash
plugin there?

I don't use the Adobe stuff, so I'm kind of feeling my way in the dark
here. (FOSS only for me, but other folks need to use closed source.) I
wouldn't expect you to see the flash plugin where you were looking. I
think that only shows "extensions".

Just playing a hunch. Do you have something like the NoScript extension
installed and set to not allow javascript by default? If so, then going
to a site that calls a flash demo/video with javascript will actually
usually tell you that you need the flash plugin (or the "latest" flash
plugin, or whatever). In that case, all you have to do is to allow
javascript for that page (and maybe for whatever site is actually
serving up the flash video).

For instance, with my libgnashplugin.so flash player plugin, if I go to
youtube.com I have to enable javascript for both youtube.com and for
ytimg.com in order to view the videos.

If this is not helpful, forgive me. I'm elderly, under medication, and
very tired.

Best regards,
Gilbert