Old 12-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Rick Thomas

Default Internet accessible home security systems using Debian?

Does anybody have any experience installing/using an internet
accessible home security system?

We recently bought a retirement home, but it will be a year or so
before we can move in -- leaving the place uninhabited most of the
time. I'd like to install an inexpensive (under $1000 for parts --
I'll do the installation myself) CC-TV ("CC"="closed circuit") and
recorder that can be connected to a Linux-based computer I can access
over the Internet.

Has anybody done such a thing? Any recommendations?

A friend recommended Apex CC-TV. Their web site has a setup with 4
cameras and a 250GB DVR that has "the ability to remotely view live
and recorded video from any Internet connection." Has anybody here
ever dealt with them? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Archive: 8EB861EC-0098-48AD-B139-8D500ED54A53@pobox.com">http://lists.debian.org/8EB861EC-0098-48AD-B139-8D500ED54A53@pobox.com

Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Mirco Piccin

Hi,

> We recently bought a retirement home, but it will be a year or so
before we can move in
> -- leaving the place uninhabited most of the
time. *I'd like to install an inexpensive (under
> $1000 for parts --
I'll do the installation myself) CC-TV *("CC"="closed circuit") and
recorder
> that can be connected to a Linux-based computer I can access
over the Internet.

you can use ZoneMinder
http://www.zoneminder.com/

with or without DVR (ZoneMinder itself can act as video recorder).
Zoneminder has a lot of features (e.g. Motion Detection, Trigger, email delivery..), and a wui - web user interface.

It supports lan streaming (e.g. Ip Cam, Video server) and usb cam.

Or, if you want to save more $$, you could use also something like this:
http://icamview.com/
that convert usb camera in ip camera, providing Motion Detection, email delivery, ftp upload...

My 2 cents
Regards

Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Rick Thomas

Cool! Thanks, I'll look into those.

Rick

Hi,

Archive: E03A4C65-DC47-437A-ACA0-80FB998265D1@pobox.com">http://lists.debian.org/E03A4C65-DC47-437A-ACA0-80FB998265D1@pobox.com

Old 12-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:37:20 -0800, Rick Thomas wrote:

> Does anybody have any experience installing/using an internet accessible
> home security system?
>
> We recently bought a retirement home, but it will be a year or so before
> we can move in -- leaving the place uninhabited most of the time. I'd
> like to install an inexpensive (under $1000 for parts -- I'll do the
> installation myself) CC-TV ("CC"="closed circuit") and recorder that
> can be connected to a Linux-based computer I can access over the
> Internet.
>
> Has anybody done such a thing? Any recommendations?

There was a recent Unixmen article on this subject:

***
Howto Turn your old webcam into a motion-detecting security camera in
Linux
http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/1018-how-to-turn-your-webcam-into-a-motion-detecting-security-spy-camera-in-linux
***

> A friend recommended Apex CC-TV. Their web site has a setup with 4
> cameras and a 250GB DVR that has "the ability to remotely view live and
> recorded video from any Internet connection." Has anybody here ever
> dealt with them? Any thoughts?

You could also consider small domo IP networked cameras which provide an
embedded mini web-server and they're easy to setup and control (basically
you only need to provide the power and a dsl/cable Internet connection).
Some of the more advanced devices also allow storing the data remotely or
sending e-mails with attached images when motion is deteced or at
predefined/regular intervals.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Mirco Piccin

Hi again

>> Does anybody have any experience installing/using an internet accessible

>> home security system?

> You could also consider small domo IP networked cameras which provide an
> embedded mini web-server and they're easy to setup and control (basically
> you only need to provide the power and a dsl/cable Internet connection).

i prefer the Foscam ipcams:
http://www.foscam.com/
that are quite cheap (and can be used also in ZoneMinder environment)

Regards