Old 12-30-2010, 06:46 PM
vr

Default Scanner recommendations

Can anyone recommend a current shipping quality scanner they've bought
and used with Squeeze? My Google searches return articles from 2000 and
2003. I'd like to scan 35mm negatives, slides, some photos and regular
paper documents.

Archive: e5343afdd927c28839440f1658fd92c0@192.168.0.66">htt p://lists.debian.org/e5343afdd927c28839440f1658fd92c0@192.168.0.66

Old 12-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Chris Davies

vr <debian-user@iotk.net> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a current shipping quality scanner they've bought
> and used with Squeeze? My Google searches return articles from 2000 and
> 2003. I'd like to scan 35mm negatives, slides, some photos and regular
> paper documents.

Have you checked http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html ?

In terms of recommendations, my Epson 2480 is good but it's been
superceded long since. I get good results from current HP multifunction
devices at work (network connections and USB) with the hpjis suite. Since
I'm on holiday I can't tell you the precise model names, but they'll be
pretty recent (within 12-15 months).

Chris

Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 PM
vr

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 20:25:29 +0000, Chris Davies wrote:

> Have you checked http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html ?
>
> In terms of recommendations, my Epson 2480 is good but it's been
> superceded long since. I get good results from current HP multifunction
> devices at work (network connections and USB) with the hpjis suite. Since
> I'm on holiday I can't tell you the precise model names, but they'll be
> pretty recent (within 12-15 months).
>
> Chris

No, hadn't seen that URL, thank you!

I'm seeing many products advertising "ICE". Have you found this to be
something desirable or perhaps maybe market hype?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:36 AM
Allan Wind

On 2010-12-30T17:24:36, vr wrote:
> I'm seeing many products advertising "ICE". Have you found this to be
> something desirable or perhaps maybe market hype?

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_ICE> and note in
particular "not applicable for opaque document". I.e. you use
ICE for scanning film (usually 35mm or other sizes of negatives).

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 12-31-2010, 08:03 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 30 Dec 2010, vr wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a current shipping quality scanner they've
> bought and used with Squeeze? My Google searches return articles
> from 2000 and 2003. I'd like to scan 35mm negatives, slides, some
> photos and regular paper documents.

When I looked into this a year or so ago I couldn't find anything useful that would work with Linux. I have an Epson 1650 which works well (though it doesn't do negatives) and I wanted another to use in a different location. I managed to get one from ebay at a reasonable price.

I regard the present trend to have everything (printer, scanner, fax) built into a single machine a retrorade step. What if you already have a printer or don't like any of those that come with a scanner? You have to find room for a second printer which you don't need; there are further questions concerning the compatibility of all this stuff with Linux, and if something goes wrong with the printer (say), you have to repair or scrap everything at once. This is another example of the ill effects of the _market_ which have been discussed in another thread on this list in connection with wide-screen monitors.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 12-31-2010, 09:04 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:46:58 -0500, vr wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a current shipping quality scanner they've bought
> and used with Squeeze? My Google searches return articles from 2000 and
> 2003. I'd like to scan 35mm negatives, slides, some photos and regular
> paper documents.

I would also look into HP/Epson/whatever "all-in-one" devices because
most of these solutions provide drivers for linux (like "hplip" for HP
devices or "avasys/image scan" for Epson ones).

Yes, I know, I also prefer by far a "stand-alone" scanner, but the good
part is that these devices provide ADF capabilities, ethernet port and
even wifi for a reasonable prize. Just check the device also supports
scanning film negatives and slides alognside with the driver.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón