-   -   Stupid consumers and inferior hardware (was: Monitor question) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/470542-stupid-consumers-inferior-hardware-monitor-question.html)

Stephen Powell 12-30-2010 02:03 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 06:53:00 -0500 (EST), Klistvud wrote:
> I would go with George Carlin here: When you see how stupid an average
> consumer is, consider that half of them are even more stupid than that.

I enjoyed your rant. It reminds me of the "winmodems" which have been
rammed down our throats as well. A similar thing is now happening with
Ethernet LAN interfaces. The cheap Ethernet LAN interfaces built in to
many modern motherboards not only cannot operate at full LAN speed,
but they require proprietary non-free firmware to work at all! You might
enjoy my anti-winmodem rant in the following web page:

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm

It's in the "Crucial Background Information" section.

Manufacturers are not doing this because the consumer wants it. They are
doing it to cut costs. And they think they can get away with it.
And sadly, in most cases, they are right. Most consumers can't even
tell that they are being ripped off. If consumers stopped buying these
inferior items, manufacturers would stop producing them. But they don't.
They keep buying them. We're getting what we deserve, I'm afraid.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Charlie 12-30-2010 08:35 PM

Stupid consumers and inferior hardware (was: Monitor question)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 22:23:30 +0100 Simon Hollenbach
<ionpowered@googlemail.com> shared this with us all:

Your email program [Modest 3.2] must have broken it, because it wasn't
broken here?

Charlie
--
http://www.skymesh.net.au/~taogypsy/
Registered Linux User:- 329524

An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs
against it. ________Bill Bernbach

Stephen Powell 12-30-2010 09:05 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:35:49 -0500 (EST), Charlie wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 22:23:30 +0100 Simon Hollenbach wrote:
>> Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> You might enjoy my anti-winmodem rant in the following web page:
>>>
>>>* * * http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm
>>>
>>> It's in the "Crucial Background Information" section.
>>
>> Link broken, most certainly u meant:
>> http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm
>
> Your email program [Modest 3.2] must have broken it, because it wasn't
> broken here?

Apparently, WOW has re-organized their web site. If I type

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm

in the address bar of my browser and press Enter, the page is displayed,
but the address bar subsequently shows

http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm

Something, somewhere, is providing a re-direction to another URL.
Anyway, the actual URL is now apparently the one above, but the
original one still works for me.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

12-31-2010 04:50 PM

Stupid consumers and inferior hardware (was: Monitor question)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:03:24 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> Manufacturers are not doing this because the consumer wants it. They
> are doing it to cut costs. And they think they can get away with it.
> And sadly, in most cases, they are right. Most consumers can't even
> tell that they are being ripped off. If consumers stopped buying
> these inferior items, manufacturers would stop producing them. But
> they don't. They keep buying them. We're getting what we deserve,
> I'm afraid.

they get away with it because most people run windows, the mfr provides
the driver, and when it breaks, people expect it because it's windows.

Remember the "tulip" ethernet chip ? Friend of mine loaned me a card
for ethernet and it worked great. I bought one and it didn't work
worth a darn. Got his board back - worked great.

Examined the board carefully, they were exactly the same. oh, except
for one minor thing. the tulip chip had "rev B" on it. My friends was
"rev A".

You will always be in trouble with hardware under Linux because of the
lack of mfr's drivers, and when they do provide drivers they are
generally binary objects, e.g. NVIDIA.

It's very frustrating, so I for one appreciate your rant :-)

Brian