Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Klistvud

Default Broadband Configuration

Dne, 30. 12. 2010 14:03:32 je Kousik Maiti napisal(a):

Hi list,
I try to configure USB broadband on Debian Lenny.
And when I run #wvdialconf its complaining like this

Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Modem Port Scan<*1>: S0 S1 S2 S3

Sorry, no modem was detected! Is it in use by another program?
Did you configure it properly with setserial?

Please read the FAQ at http://open.nit.ca/wiki/?WvDial

If you still have problems, send mail to <wvdial-list@lists.nit.ca>.

Can anybody help?
Thanks in advance.

I think that an USB modem won't show up as a serial port. Check out
your /dev subtree for the actual name of your modem, and then put that
into the appropriate field of your application. Plugging and unplugging
the USB modem may help you in locating the actual device name used in
/dev.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Joe

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 18:33:32 +0530
Kousik Maiti <kousikster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
> I try to configure USB broadband on Debian Lenny.
>
> I have installed ppp,setserial,wvdial for that.dmesg message after
> inserting USB modem is
>

> Can anybody help?
> Thanks in advance.

As a general rule, with hardware problems it's usually worth booting
the latest Knoppix or Ubuntu or both from a live CD, and picking over
the logs. Both are based on Debian, though not Lenny, most hardware will
work and the results will usually help.

If the problem is a driver that Lenny doesn't have, as is quite
likely, then Google may well throw up a solution for an old Ubuntu
version which can be used in Lenny. In particular, Liam Green-Hughes'
site http://www.greenhughes.com/ is quite useful for mobile broadband
issues. That's where I found usb_modeswitch for a Huawei/ZTE
dongle before it got into the Ubuntu and now Debian repositories.

--
Joe

Old 12-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 18:33:32 +0530, Kousik Maiti wrote:

> Hi list,
> I try to configure USB broadband on Debian Lenny.
>
> I have installed ppp,setserial,wvdial for that.dmesg message after
> inserting USB modem is

(...)

> [ 9435.494246] scsi 3:0:0:1: Direct-Access ZTE USB Storage FFF1
> 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2

(...)

As Daniel alredy pointed out, you need "usb_modeswitch" to get your stick
detected as an USB modem (/dev/ttyUSB0) and wvdial can manage it.

The package was proposed to be added in backports but still not there,
only at the maintainer's repo, not sure if these are working fine/at all
(not tested) :-?

http://alioth.debian.org/~odyx-guest/debian/lenny-backports/

Greetings,

--