Old 12-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Jude DaShiell

Default wodim and perhaps nautilus surprise

I've been trying to help a friend burn his first cd on his system. He has
gnome-desktop-environment and wodim with all dependencies installed.
What he recently told me is that nautilus has no problem burning cd's but
wodim finds that cd burner unknown and unsupported. Apparently things are
not coordinated between command line environments and g.u.i. environments
with respect to supported hardware.

Archive: alpine.BSF.2.00.1012300732400.7437@freire1.furyyjb eyq.arg">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.BSF.2.00.1012300732400.7437@freire1.furyyjb eyq.arg

Old 12-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/12/30 Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net>:
> I've been trying to help a friend burn his first cd on his system. *He has
> gnome-desktop-environment and wodim with all dependencies installed. What he
> recently told me is that nautilus has no problem burning cd's but wodim
> finds that cd burner unknown and unsupported. *Apparently things are not
> coordinated between command line environments and g.u.i. environments with
> respect to supported hardware.

what is output of wodim --devices command ?

--
Eero

Old 12-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Jude DaShiell

I didn't preserve the transcript but wodim came back with unknown or
missing recorder when trying to access the hardware.On Thu, 30 Dec 2010,

Archive: alpine.BSF.2.00.1012300940450.16350@freire1.furyyj beyq.arg">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.BSF.2.00.1012300940450.16350@freire1.furyyj beyq.arg

Old 12-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2010-12-30, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> I've been trying to help a friend burn his first cd on his system. He has
> gnome-desktop-environment and wodim with all dependencies installed.
> What he recently told me is that nautilus has no problem burning cd's but
> wodim finds that cd burner unknown and unsupported. Apparently things are
> not coordinated between command line environments and g.u.i. environments
> with respect to supported hardware.

While nautilus is burning a CD, look at the output of 'ps x'. It will
tell you which child process nautilus launches and which arguments it
uses.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Frank Lanitz

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:31:34 +0000 (UTC)
Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010-12-30, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> > I've been trying to help a friend burn his first cd on his system. He has
> > gnome-desktop-environment and wodim with all dependencies installed.
> > What he recently told me is that nautilus has no problem burning cd's but
> > wodim finds that cd burner unknown and unsupported. Apparently things are
> > not coordinated between command line environments and g.u.i. environments
> > with respect to supported hardware.
>
> While nautilus is burning a CD, look at the output of 'ps x'. It will
> tell you which child process nautilus launches and which arguments it
> uses.

Well, IIRC is nautilus using brasero which is not using cdrecord/wodim.

Cheers,
Frank
--
Frank Lanitz <frank@frank.uvena.de>

Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Liam O'Toole

On 2010-12-30, Frank Lanitz <frank@frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> --Signature=_Fri__31_Dec_2010_00_13_13_+0100_plbmMFh +6iUim.J=
>
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:31:34 +0000 (UTC)
> Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-12-30, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
>> > I've been trying to help a friend burn his first cd on his system. He =
> has=20
>> > gnome-desktop-environment and wodim with all dependencies installed.=20
>> > What he recently told me is that nautilus has no problem burning cd's b=
> ut=20
>> > wodim finds that cd burner unknown and unsupported. Apparently things =
> are=20
>> > not coordinated between command line environments and g.u.i. environmen=
> ts=20
>> > with respect to supported hardware.
>>=20
>> While nautilus is burning a CD, look at the output of 'ps x'. It will
>> tell you which child process nautilus launches and which arguments it
>> uses.
>
> Well, IIRC is nautilus using brasero which is not using cdrecord/wodim.=20

That may well be the case in squeeze, but not in lenny (where brasero is
not installed in my case). But I must admit it's been a while since I
looked at this matter.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland