Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Kousik Maiti

Default Web calendar sharing in Evolution

Hi list,
I want to share calendar for local LAN.I try to find documentation regarding this,but don't get any good solution.Some solution is there but that is for google calendar.As I don't connect to internet that is not applicableÂ* for me. AnybodyÂ* help?

Thanks in advanced.
--
Wishing you the very best of everything, always!!!
Kousik Maiti(কৌশিক মাইতি)

Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 18:04:14 +0530, Kousik Maiti wrote:

> I want to share calendar for local LAN.I try to find documentation
> regarding this,but don't get any good solution.Some solution is there
> but that is for google calendar.As I don't connect to internet that is
> not applicable for me. Anybody help?

Last time I searched for such solution in Icedove I reached the
conclusion that having a local server for ical (calendar sharing in the
LAN using caldav protocol) is the best option because e-mail clients
(Evolution, Iceweasel, Kmail...) all of them can have problems for direct
sharing a networked ".ical" file (muti-user read/write/lock operations
perform better when caldav protocol is in charge).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 12/30/2010 07:55 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> Last time I searched for such solution in Icedove I reached the
> conclusion that having a local server for ical (calendar sharing in the
> LAN using caldav protocol) is the best option because e-mail clients
> (Evolution, Iceweasel, Kmail...) all of them can have problems for direct
> sharing a networked ".ical" file (muti-user read/write/lock operations
> perform better when caldav protocol is in charge).

could you explain what server/app/package that is?
I tried apt-cache search ical, and it gave me back 350 packages (
including everything with automatICALly)..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 12-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 12/30/2010 08:21 AM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/calendarserver
>

>> could you explain what server/app/package that is?
>> I tried apt-cache search ical, and it gave me back 350 packages (
>> including everything with automatICALly)..

thank you! I did an apt-cache server caldav, but disregarded
calendarserver because it said "Apple's Calendarserver " .. since this
is Linux, not Apple I will look at that, thanks much!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Erwan David

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 02:33:30PM CET, Paul Cartwright <debian@pcartwright.com> said:
> On 12/30/2010 08:21 AM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> > http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/calendarserver
> >

> >> could you explain what server/app/package that is?
> >> I tried apt-cache search ical, and it gave me back 350 packages (
> >> including everything with automatICALly)..
>
> thank you! I did an apt-cache server caldav, but disregarded
> calendarserver because it said "Apple's Calendarserver " .. since this
> is Linux, not Apple I will look at that, thanks much!

I never succeeded in making it work, with thunderbird or other clients (simpel question : which url should I put in the client ?)

It also needs its own port, being its own server, which may make it unreachable from some sites (and I did not fibnd how to make it work through apache mod_proxy...)

All docs I found for configuration where only for Apple's clients, which seem to add things to the URL they are given...

Note there is another caldav server in debian: davical, which I still plan to test.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 12/30/2010 08:45 AM, Erwan David wrote:
> I never succeeded in making it work, with thunderbird or other clients (simpel question : which url should I put
in the client ?)

I also noticed that & could not find an answer. I tried to use a
filename in my apache2 www directory without success, it just sat & spun
its wheels & did nothing. I created a file, chmod 777, tried it again,
still spun wheels, did nothing.
if you look in the FAQ it does show a few items you need..

http://trac.calendarserver.org/wiki/FAQ
Steps:

Create an IMAP or POP account on your mail server solely for use by the
calendar server (used to send a receive email)
Create a user account on the calendar server (used to do authentication
between calendar server and mail gateway process)
Edit caldavd.plist:
iMIP
Enabled = true
Username = username for account you created in step 2
Password = password for account you created in step 2
Sending
Server = your SMTP server name
Port = the port your SMTP server is listening on
UseSSL = true/false depending on whether your SMTP server is using SSL
Username = username to log in to SMTP (leave empty if no authentication
is required by your SMTP server)
Password = password to log in to SMTP (leave empty if no authentication
is required by your SMTP server)
Address = used as the From: address
Receiving
Server = your inbound (IMAP/POP) server name
Port = the port your IMAP/POP server is listening on
Type = either pop or imap
UseSSL = true/false depending on whether your IMAP/POP server is using SSL
Username = username to log in to IMAP/POP (do not use your own email
account for this or your inbox will be wiped out)
Password = password to log in to IMAP/POP
PollingSeconds = how often to poll for incoming replies
AddressPatterns = an array of regular expressions defining which email
addresses to send iMIP messages to -- if an external attendee's email
address does not match these patterns, no invitation will be sent to them.
Restart calendar server

Old 12-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/12/30 Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org>:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 02:33:30PM CET, Paul Cartwright <debian@pcartwright.com> said:
>> On 12/30/2010 08:21 AM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>> > http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/calendarserver

>> thank you! I did an apt-cache server caldav, but disregarded
>> calendarserver because it said "Apple's Calendarserver " .. since this
>> is Linux, not Apple I will look at that, thanks much!
>
> I never succeeded in making it work, with thunderbird or other clients (simpel question : which url should I put in the client ?)
>
> It also needs its own port, being its own server, which may make it unreachable from some sites (and I did not fibnd how to make it work through apache mod_proxy...)
>
> All docs I found for configuration where only for Apple's clients, which seem to add things to the URL they are given...
>
> Note there is another caldav server in debian: davical, which I still plan to test.

also check this list out: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:QA_CalDAV_Support

Thunderbird + lightning might work better than evolution.

--
Eero

Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 21:21:52 +0800, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> On 30/12/10 21:13, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>> On 12/30/2010 07:55 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>>> Last time I searched for such solution in Icedove I reached the
>>> conclusion that having a local server for ical (calendar sharing in
>>> the LAN using caldav protocol) is the best option because e-mail
>>> clients (Evolution, Iceweasel, Kmail...) all of them can have problems
>>> for direct sharing a networked ".ical" file (muti-user read/write/lock
>>> operations perform better when caldav protocol is in charge).
>>
>> could you explain what server/app/package that is? I tried apt-cache
>> search ical, and it gave me back 350 packages ( including everything
>> with automatICALly)..
>
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/calendarserver

Yep, and there is another one that could be worth a try ("davical"):

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/davical

The only drawbacks I see is that is not available for lenny and it could
be a bit hard to setup (requires a web server and sql database to be run).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:16:58 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 12/30/2010 08:45 AM, Erwan David wrote:
>> I never succeeded in making it work, with thunderbird or other clients
>> (simpel question : which url should I put
> in the client ?)
>>

> I also noticed that & could not find an answer.

http://trac.calendarserver.org/wiki/Sunbird

:-)

> I tried to use a
> filename in my apache2 www directory without success, it just sat & spun
> its wheels & did nothing. I created a file, chmod 777, tried it again,
> still spun wheels, did nothing.
> if you look in the FAQ it does show a few items you need..
>
> http://trac.calendarserver.org/wiki/FAQ

(...)

If read that instructions correctly, it seems those steps are for sending
invitations to appointments to other users :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón