Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Klistvud

Default Netgear WG111 USB wifi adapter works with squeeze / gnome

Dne, 30. 12. 2010 10:47:16 je Camaleón napisal(a):

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:10:07 -0800, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:

> I recently had to add wifi to my squeeze / gnome desktop. Based on
some
> reviews I bought a Netgear WG111 USB wifi adapter, and I found that
when

> I plugged it into a USB port on my desktop it worked instantly -- no
> configuration or package installation necessary.
>
> Is there a repository where these sorts of success stories are
tracked?

Debian has a wiki, maybe you can get an account to edit/add this
useful

data:

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi#USBDevices

Also, mentioning it here is a good way to broadcast the good news ;-)

You should probably add your lsusb output too. That's because not all
WG111 are created equal: IIRC, the WG111 has switched chipsets -- and
consequently, drivers -- when going from .v2 to .v3. A good resource on
Linux-compatible wireless adapters is the Backtrack website
http://www.backtrack-linux.org/ because they also gather information on
the "monitor" mode of various cards.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Peter Tenenbaum

Camaleon -- unfortunately the wifi / USB page you pointed me to specifies which chipsets work well with Debian, but not which devices you can buy at a store or on Amazon.* I was never able to figure out how to make use of that page as most vendors and retailers do not think that the chipset information is of vital importance to the buyer, hence it is obscure at the time of purchase.

Klistvud -- Here is the output of lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0846:4260 NetGear, Inc. WG111v3 54 Mbps Wireless [realtek RTL8187B]

So the chipset happens to be one of the ones which is well-supported, but I had no way to know this prior to purchase (and believe me, I tried to find out).* Fortunately a user posted a review to Amazon saying that it worked for him on his linux desktop.

-PT

Old 12-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Klistvud

Klistvud -- Here is the output of lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0846:4260 NetGear, Inc. WG111v3 54 Mbps
Wireless

[realtek RTL8187B]

So the chipset happens to be one of the ones which is well-supported,
but I
had no way to know this prior to purchase (and believe me, I tried to
find
out). Fortunately a user posted a review to Amazon saying that it
worked

for him on his linux desktop.

-PT

Had you bothered to ask in advance on this list -- and had I seen your
post -- I could have told you that I have a v3 card and that the v3
model works in Squeeze. I could have told you also that it does *not*
work in stock Lenny (although it does in newer, backported Lenny
kernels). I think that the v2 model works in stock Lenny, but have no
means of checking that.

Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 08:53:28 -0800, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:

> Camaleon -- unfortunately the wifi / USB page you pointed me to
> specifies which chipsets work well with Debian, but not which devices
> you can buy at a store or on Amazon.

HCL lists are aimed to enumerate devices and their modules that work out-
of-the-box, have problems for setting up or that don't work at all. With
that information you can go then to the store and buy the device with a
little more confidence (not 100% but is better than nothing). So if your
device uses "intersil/prism" or "realtek" chipset and that chipset is
listed there and marked as "works/detected", then there are many chances
that it works fine.

> I was never able to figure out how
> to make use of that page as most vendors and retailers do not think that
> the chipset information is of vital importance to the buyer, hence it is
> obscure at the time of purchase.

True, that information is not always easy to find (not present even in
technical specs) but Google helps a lot here.

Anyway, I thought you were asking for a place where to put that your USB
dongle works fine so others users can benefit form that information :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Camaleon -- unfortunately the wifi / USB page you pointed me to specifies
which chipsets work well with Debian, but not which devices you can buy at a
store or on Amazon. I was never able to figure out how to make use of that
page as most vendors and retailers do not think that the chipset information
is of vital importance to the buyer, hence it is obscure at the time of
purchase.

Klistvud -- Here is the output of lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0846:4260 NetGear, Inc. WG111v3 54 Mbps Wireless
[realtek RTL8187B]

So the chipset happens to be one of the ones which is well-supported, but I
had no way to know this prior to purchase (and believe me, I tried to find
out). Fortunately a user posted a review to Amazon saying that it worked
for him on his linux desktop.

What's worse, the vendors themselves do not care about the chipset,
often releasing new models with different chipsets but keeping the
same model number.

--
Time washes clean
Love's wounds unseen.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Archive: 20101230160712.92435iypqc4wxy0w@mail.kalinowski.co m.br">http://lists.debian.org/20101230160712.92435iypqc4wxy0w@mail.kalinowski.co m.br

Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Celejar

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:10:07 -0800
Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently had to add wifi to my squeeze / gnome desktop. Based on some
> reviews I bought a Netgear WG111 USB wifi adapter, and I found that when I
> plugged it into a USB port on my desktop it worked instantly -- no
> configuration or package installation necessary.
>
> Is there a repository where these sorts of success stories are tracked?

A bit late, but FTR:

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/>

A great resource.

Celejar

Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 AM
Chris Jones

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 03:23:49PM EST, Celejar wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:10:07 -0800
> Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I recently had to add wifi to my squeeze / gnome desktop. Based on some
> > reviews I bought a Netgear WG111 USB wifi adapter, and I found that when I
> > plugged it into a USB port on my desktop it worked instantly -- no
> > configuration or package installation necessary.
> >
> > Is there a repository where these sorts of success stories are tracked?
>
> A bit late, but FTR:
>
> http://linux-wless.passys.nl/>
>
> A great resource.

A bit puzzled about the disclaimer, though:

‘This list doesn't specify anything about how much of your card is
supported. So a card that only works without encryption is listed the
same as one that also has support for WEP/WPA.’

Not sure I want to donate my bandwidth to any TDH that might sniff my
available presence the minute I cruise along in their neighborhood...

cj

Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:04:23 -0500
Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 03:23:49PM EST, Celejar wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:10:07 -0800
> > Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I recently had to add wifi to my squeeze / gnome desktop. Based on some
> > > reviews I bought a Netgear WG111 USB wifi adapter, and I found that when I
> > > plugged it into a USB port on my desktop it worked instantly -- no
> > > configuration or package installation necessary.
> > >
> > > Is there a repository where these sorts of success stories are tracked?
> >
> > A bit late, but FTR:
> >
> > http://linux-wless.passys.nl/>
> >
> > A great resource.
>
> A bit puzzled about the disclaimer, though:
>
> ‘This list doesn't specify anything about how much of your card is
> supported. So a card that only works without encryption is listed the
> same as one that also has support for WEP/WPA.’
>
> Not sure I want to donate my bandwidth to any TDH that might sniff my
> available presence the minute I cruise along in their neighborhood...

But the very next line reads:

"For the specifics about how much of your card is supported, please
refer to the driver page listed for your card."

IIUC, the driver docs will generally tell you what has been
implemented.

Celejar

Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Chris Jones

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 05:54:10PM EST, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:04:23 -0500
> Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 03:23:49PM EST, Celejar wrote:

> > > A bit late, but FTR:
> > >
> > > http://linux-wless.passys.nl/>
> > >
> > > A great resource.
> >
> > A bit puzzled about the disclaimer, though:
> >
> > ‘This list doesn't specify anything about how much of your card is
> > supported. So a card that only works without encryption is listed the
> > same as one that also has support for WEP/WPA.’
> >
> > Not sure I want to donate my bandwidth to any TDH that might sniff my
> > available presence the minute I cruise along in their neighborhood...
>
> But the very next line reads:
>
> "For the specifics about how much of your card is supported, please
> refer to the driver page listed for your card."
>
> IIUC, the driver docs will generally tell you what has been
> implemented.

Ah.. now I see it.. Sorry for the noise.

cj