Old 02-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default Colours in VIM-AbiWord

On Mon February 4 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> AbiWord is much lighter & smaller than OOo.
I saw AbiWord when I installed ... another distro ( Pu..y ...)
but I never used it. is abiword just a word processor, as opposed to a full
suite, like OO ??
does it do .DOC conversion? smaller & lighter normally means less features.
But I really don't use THAT many features of OO..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 02-04-2008, 06:08 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Feb 4, 2008 9:38 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:
> On Mon February 4 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > AbiWord is much lighter & smaller than OOo.
> I saw AbiWord when I installed ... another distro ( Pu..y ...)
> but I never used it. is abiword just a word processor, as opposed to a full
> suite, like OO ??
> does it do .DOC conversion? smaller & lighter normally means less features.
> But I really don't use THAT many features of OO..

Abiword is just a word processor, and it does work with .doc, although
I don't know how well compared to OOo. It has more than enough
features for me, but I don't use it much mainly because it doesn't save
as .odt by default.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Mon February 4 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Abi_Word_ should give you a hint...

right.. but I didn't know if there were other programs, AbiSpread... to go
along with it.

> > does it do .DOC conversion? smaller & lighter normally means less
> > features. But I really don't use THAT many features of OO..
>
> Yes, it doesn't convert Word files as well as OOo does. *But as a
> stand-alone plugin-capable WP that supports ODF, it's great.

my problem is, most of the time I have docs in odt format that I have to
convert to .DOC format, to send to others.. and spreadsheets..
still, the plugin matrix shows LOTS of capabilities!! nice, I may take a look
anyway, thanks!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Mon February 4 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > right.. but I didn't know if there were other programs, AbiSpread... to
> > go along with it.
>
> Nope...
>
> Gnumeric is the spreadsheet that AbiWord Unix users typically
> install. *Dia for charting, Planner for project management.

ah, gnumeric is the gnome/UNIX spreadsheet.. like kspread is to kde.
for my older/slower laptop, abiword and gnumeric sound like a good choice.
Since I already have office on my desktop, and it works, I think I will leave
well enough alone.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:37 PM
David Palmer

Paul Cartwright wrote:

On Mon February 4 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:

AbiWord is much lighter & smaller than OOo.

I saw AbiWord when I installed ... another distro ( Pu..y ...)
but I never used it. is abiword just a word processor, as opposed to a full
suite, like OO ??
does it do .DOC conversion? smaller & lighter normally means less features.
But I really don't use THAT many features of OO..

Abiword is a word processor and very competent.
It will take in Word Docs and process modify them, but I find that
saving everything as RTF means that anybody can open them no matter what
processor they use.
Gnumeric is all you need for spreadsheeting - install all the optional
extras, plugins, doc files, etc., and the combination of both of them
are all that a small office requires for the majority of work.

If you need something to handle presentation work, install Scribus.

I also use Xfig to create process control, haccp charts, etc.

Everything loads quickly and no functionality is lost, at least, not any
that 98% of the population would require.

Regards,

David.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:25:33PM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Mon February 4 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Abi_Word_ should give you a hint...
>
> right.. but I didn't know if there were other programs, AbiSpread... to go
> along with it.

AbiWord was originally written by a company called AbiSource (and has
been free software from the start). That company aimed at developing a
complete office productivity suite but only got as far as starting up
AbiWord.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 15:59:16 -0500
Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Mon February 4 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > right.. but I didn't know if there were other programs, AbiSpread... to
> > > go along with it.
> >
> > Nope...
> >
> > Gnumeric is the spreadsheet that AbiWord Unix users typically
> > install. *Dia for charting, Planner for project management.
>
> ah, gnumeric is the gnome/UNIX spreadsheet.. like kspread is to kde.
> for my older/slower laptop, abiword and gnumeric sound like a good choice.
> Since I already have office on my desktop, and it works, I think I will leave
> well enough alone.

I run AbiWord on this old 500MHz G4 Laptop and it is fast. Launch time is hardly a couple of seconds.

Amit