-   -   Installed Debian today. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/470320-installed-debian-today.html)

Narendra Sisodiya 12-29-2010 08:38 PM

Installed Debian today.

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:35 AM, Petrus Validus <petrus.validus@gmail.com> wrote:

> But releasing ubuntu on time without fixing known critical bug ?

Other distros have done that in the past. *They are on a time-based

schedule.

> 64 bit ubuntu 10.10 is not bootable. checked MD5sum 100 times and

> similar error arond all user

> I use USB.

> in some hardware both iso were unbootable.

> Always fail at initramfs - init not found. or any rootfs not found.

OK...I don't currently use Ubuntu, nor have I used it since 6.06, so I

cannot help you there. *As someone else replied earlier, Welcome to the

Club.

> I am using gnome from last 2 year, I always see window bar button in

> right. Why they changed to left in lucid?

I've read that can be changed. *Maybe somewhere in GConf?

I know*re-mastering*so I know all sort of tweaks. but point was, ubuntu change behaviour. another example like Ctrl+Alt+D = Show desktop. but in 10.10 series it is Window button + D.

Discussion can go long. Ubuntu is also doing good but I will stick with it. I think everybody come to source one day..

Robert Holtzman 12-29-2010 09:55 PM

Installed Debian today.

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 02:18:58AM +0530, Narendra Sisodiya wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Petrus Validus <petrus.validus@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > * bugs in ubuntu 10.x release
>
> Bugs are unavoidable.
>

> But releasing ubuntu on time without fixing known critical bug ?
>

> > * unbootable iso images of ubuntu
>
> Maybe there's a problem with your CDs or burning application?
>

> 64 bit ubuntu 10.10 is not bootable. checked MD5sum 100 times and similar error
> arond all user

What does "arond all user" mean?

> I use USB.
> in some hardware both iso were unbootable.
> Always fail at initramfs - init not found. or any rootfs not found.

Did you try downloading again and burning another CD?

> > * Crap theme in 10.x
>
> You can change that.
>
> > * Madness of ubuntu which is trying to create MAC - OS type look and
> > feel
>
> Two responses:
>
> 1-See previous response.
>
> 2-I don't think it's that bad, quite frankly. Apple's interfaces are
> more attractive than a lot of others out there. I've always liked the
> design of their interface. Very clean and simple. Honestly I would
> enjoy using/recreating the Mac System 7 interface.
>

> I am using gnome from last 2 year, I always see window bar button in right. Why
> they changed to left in lucid ? For me windows 7 and MAcOS theme and interface
> is very crap. I cannot even work on them

That's so trivial it's not worth responding to...but as the previous
poster said, it's easily changed. Why did you ignore his answer?

> > * 6 month release cycle and most buggy upgrade management which always
> > fails
>
> Who said you have to upgrade to the latest version available? Why not
> use one of Ubuntu's LTS editions
>

> LOL LTS is much buggy then non-LTS. 9.10 was the only stable version i have
> used.

That's the biggest bunch of BS I've seen in a long time. I've used the
last 3 LTS releases and they have been completely stable.

Your posts reflect several earmarks of a troll.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Rob Owens 12-29-2010 10:34 PM

Installed Debian today.

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 03:32:37PM -0500, Petrus Validus wrote:
> > * unbootable iso images of ubuntu
>
> Maybe there's a problem with your CDs or burning application?

I've seen that problem, too. Particularly with fairly recent Dell
laptops (last 4 years or so). It would boot if I left it running long
enough, but it literally took 10 minutes or more to boot. The CDROM
would spin up and light every few seconds, for about a half of a second.

I saw the same issue on a Debian Live Squeeze CD about a year ago, but
to me that's forgiveable, since it is "testing".

-Rob

Rob Owens 12-29-2010 10:48 PM

Installed Debian today.

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 02:18:58AM +0530, Narendra Sisodiya wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Petrus Validus <petrus.validus@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> > > * Crap theme in 10.x
> >
> > You can change that.
> >
> > > * Madness of ubuntu which is trying to create MAC - OS type look and
> > > feel
> >
> > Two responses:
> >
> > 1-See previous response.
> >
> > 2-I don't think it's that bad, quite frankly. Apple's interfaces are
> > more attractive than a lot of others out there. I've always liked the
> > design of their interface. Very clean and simple. Honestly I would
> > enjoy using/recreating the Mac System 7 interface.
> >

> I am using gnome from last 2 year, I always see window bar button in right.
> Why they changed to left in lucid ? For me windows 7 and MAcOS theme and
> interface is very crap. I cannot even work on them

In case it's useful to you or any other Gnome user:

I copied and modified the default Ubuntu 10.04 theme with the buttons on
the right. I'm attaching it, but if the attachment doesn't come through
I'll email it to you.

Untar it and put it in /usr/share/themes. Of course you shouldn't trust
me if you don't know me, so you can compare it to the default Ambiance
theme like this:

diff -r Ambiance AmbianceRight

Note that I'm far from an expert on Gnome themes, so it's possible this
is a messy hack...

-Rob

Miles Bader 12-31-2010 12:09 PM

Installed Debian today.

Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> writes:
>> LOL LTS is much buggy then non-LTS. 9.10 was the only stable version i have
>> used.
>
> That's the biggest bunch of BS I've seen in a long time. I've used the
> last 3 LTS releases and they have been completely stable.

So your experience is different. Great.

> Your posts reflect several earmarks of a troll.

and yours has several earmarks of an infuriated fanboy....

-Miles

--
Alone, adj. In bad company.

Robert Holtzman 12-31-2010 08:40 PM

Installed Debian today.

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 10:09:00PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> writes:
> >> LOL LTS is much buggy then non-LTS. 9.10 was the only stable version i have
> >> used.
> >
> > That's the biggest bunch of BS I've seen in a long time. I've used the
> > last 3 LTS releases and they have been completely stable.
>
> So your experience is different. Great.

Mine and a few thousand others.

> > Your posts reflect several earmarks of a troll.
>
> and yours has several earmarks of an infuriated fanboy....

I'm no fanboy of any distro, let alone Ubuntu. I dual boot with Lenny
and will probably go to squeeze as my primary when it's released. I
don't like Shuttleworth's dictatorial attitude.

Take a tip: don't jump to unwarranted conclusions.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Lisi 01-10-2011 10:43 PM

Installed Debian today.

On Wednesday 29 December 2010 22:55:00 Robert Holtzman wrote:
> That's the biggest bunch of BS I've seen in a long time. I've used the
> last 3 LTS releases and they have been completely stable.
>
> Your posts reflect several earmarks of a troll.

I have just been doing a course, and a lot of the people on it reported having
severe problems installing 10.10. (I'm not one of them, I have installed and
used it OK, but I still don't like it.)

Surely the point of Linux is that one has choice? One can make one's choice
for any reason or for none. One man's meat is another man's poison. Why
shouldn't the poor bloke change to Debian just because he wants to do so.
Why does he have justify it or explain himself?

I use Debian because I like it. I don't use Ubuntu or its stable mates
because I don't like them. Have those of you who are carping, got cast iron
reasons for being on the Debian user list, that you could justify in a court
of law?

Come off it, give the guy a break.

Lisi

Robert Holtzman 01-11-2011 06:16 AM

Installed Debian today.

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:43:02PM +0000, Lisi wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 December 2010 22:55:00 Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > That's the biggest bunch of BS I've seen in a long time. I've used the
> > last 3 LTS releases and they have been completely stable.
> >
> > Your posts reflect several earmarks of a troll.
>
> I have just been doing a course, and a lot of the people on it reported having
> severe problems installing 10.10. (I'm not one of them, I have installed and
> used it OK, but I still don't like it.)
>
> Surely the point of Linux is that one has choice? One can make one's choice
> for any reason or for none. One man's meat is another man's poison. Why
> shouldn't the poor bloke change to Debian just because he wants to do so.
> Why does he have justify it or explain himself?

I never said he has to. If you check the thread you should see that I was
refuting his claim that Ubuntu LTS distros are buggier than non-LTS. Of
course Linux presents choices and no one has to justify his/hers.

> I use Debian because I like it. I don't use Ubuntu or its stable mates
> because I don't like them. Have those of you who are carping, got cast iron
> reasons for being on the Debian user list, that you could justify in a court
> of law?

Of course. I triple boot and one of the distros is Lenny.

> Come off it, give the guy a break.

The trick is for you to read the thread and not weave fantasies.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279