Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Mike Bird

Default How to upgrade chain-booted grub-pc?

A dist-upgrade to Squeeze results in a chain boot
comprising both grub1 (grub-pc) and grub2.

Today's grub-pc update now wants to know where to
automatically install, presumably because it does
not recognize grub2's chain-boot setup.

Unfortunately, I also don't know the details of
what grub2 did to make the chain boot, so I don't
know what to tell grub1 (grub-pc) when it asks:

"The grub-pc package is being upgraded. This menu
allows you to select which devices you'd like
grub-install to be automatically run for, if any."

Does anyone have any solid recommendations (no
wild guesses please) as to how to determine the
best response?

Thanks,

--Mike Bird

Old 12-30-2010, 03:12 AM
Phil Requirements

On 2010-12-29 12:28:07 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> A dist-upgrade to Squeeze results in a chain boot
> comprising both grub1 (grub-pc) and grub2.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Today's grub-pc update now wants to know where to
> automatically install, presumably because it does
> not recognize grub2's chain-boot setup.
>
> Unfortunately, I also don't know the details of
> what grub2 did to make the chain boot, so I don't
> know what to tell grub1 (grub-pc) when it asks:
>
> "The grub-pc package is being upgraded. This menu
> allows you to select which devices you'd like
> grub-install to be automatically run for, if any."
>
> Does anyone have any solid recommendations (no
> wild guesses please) as to how to determine the
> best response?

This is not advice for your problem, I just wanted to
point out something I noticed. Your description of the
two grubs conflicts with my understanding of them. As
far as I know, the following is true:

grub1 = grub-legacy
grub2 = grub-pc

So, in my understanding grub1 != grub-pc. That alone may
give you a way to understand what grub-pc is asking you.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 AM
Mike Bird

On Wed December 29 2010 20:12:10 Phil Requirements wrote:
> This is not advice for your problem, I just wanted to
> point out something I noticed. Your description of the
> two grubs conflicts with my understanding of them. As
> far as I know, the following is true:
>
> grub1 = grub-legacy
> grub2 = grub-pc
>
> So, in my understanding grub1 != grub-pc. That alone may
> give you a way to understand what grub-pc is asking you.

Thank you, Phil, for correcting my misunderstanding on
that point. I still don't know how to answer grub-pc's
question but at least I'm a step closer. Much appreciated.

--Mike Bird

Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Klistvud

On 2010-12-29 12:28:07 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> A dist-upgrade to Squeeze results in a chain boot
> comprising both grub1 (grub-pc) and grub2.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Today's grub-pc update now wants to know where to
> automatically install, presumably because it does
> not recognize grub2's chain-boot setup.
>
> Unfortunately, I also don't know the details of
> what grub2 did to make the chain boot, so I don't
> know what to tell grub1 (grub-pc) when it asks:
>
> "The grub-pc package is being upgraded. This menu
> allows you to select which devices you'd like
> grub-install to be automatically run for, if any."
>
> Does anyone have any solid recommendations (no
> wild guesses please) as to how to determine the
> best response?

Solid recommendations will be particularly hard to get. Grub-PC (or
Grub2, whatever you may call it) is still more or less in the "black
magic" development phase. As powerful and robust as it is, I've never
yet managed to make it work out-of-the-box. Well, almost never.
Virtually every time I've installed it on pre-existing systems with
pre-existing grub installations, it needed additional fine tuning
(which is done through its /etc/grub.d/ scripts, and NOT by editing its
/boot/grub/grub.cfg file). Once fine-tuned though, it's a pretty
flexible boot loader, capable of booting live CD images, such as live
Ubuntu CDs.

My 2.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20101230041210.GB4988@kasploosh.net

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:36 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <201012291228.07815.mgb-debian@yosemite.net>, Mike Bird wrote:
>A dist-upgrade to Squeeze results in a chain boot
>comprising both grub1 (grub-pc) and grub2.

That is one option. Once you have grub2 working, it is recommended that you
do an upgrade-from-grub-legacy to remove the chain booting and use GRUB2
proper.

>Today's grub-pc update now wants to know where to
>automatically install, presumably because it does
>not recognize grub2's chain-boot setup.

(Assuming you are talking about the package migration chain-booting, and no
some exotic setup you configured yourself.)

I've been through that debconf and a reboot, I think. Choose the devices you
use for booting. The package will properly detect that chain-booting is
currently set up and not replace the MBR on any of the devices. Once you get
around to doing a upgrade-from-grub-legacy, the package will use install the
GRUB2 MBR on those devices at that time and after each upgrade of GRUB2.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Mike Bird

Thanks to Phil Requirements for noting that:
* * grub1 = grub-legacy
* * grub2 = grub-pc

---

After grub-pc has automatically set up the interim
chain boot configuration during dist-upgrade, grub-pc
is not apparently installed on any boot sector. What
is happening is that grub1 is chain booting into the
file .../grub/core.img, not into another boot sector.

Therefore, when the subsequent grub-pc upgrade demands
to know "GRUB install devices:" the correct response is
to hit enter, signifying none.

grub-pc will then ask "Continue without installing GRUB?"
to which the response "y" will result in an upgraded grub-pc
without breaking the automatic chain-load configuration.

Messing with bootloaders is never 100% safe. YMMV.

--Mike Bird

P.S. We'll be reverting to grub-legacy ASAP and in future
will blacklist grub-pc when upgrading systems to Squeeze.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Phil Requirements
<simultaneous@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 2010-12-29 12:28:07 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
>>
>> A dist-upgrade to Squeeze results in a chain boot
>> comprising both grub1 (grub-pc) and grub2.
> * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Today's grub-pc update now wants to know where to
>> automatically install, presumably because it does
>> not recognize grub2's chain-boot setup.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I also don't know the details of
>> what grub2 did to make the chain boot, so I don't
>> know what to tell grub1 (grub-pc) when it asks:
>>
>> "The grub-pc package is being upgraded. This menu
>> allows you to select which devices you'd like
>> grub-install to be automatically run for, if any."
>>
>> Does anyone have any solid recommendations (no
>> wild guesses please) as to how to determine the
>> best response?
>
> * *grub1 = grub-legacy
> * *grub2 = grub-pc

+1 for the grub-pc/grub-legacy explanation.

If you can, choose not to install to any device (I think!).

The reason that I think so is that when you choose to chainload grub2
from grub1, grub1 is installed in the MBR and post-MBR gap and
core.img, grub2's stage 1.5 loader, isn't in the post-MBR gap but in
"/boot/grub". So, when you choose the grub2 entry in the grub1 menu,
core.img is loaded and that leads to the display (I think through
"/boot/grub/normal.mod" but I'm not sure) of the grub2 menu.

I _think_ that if you select a device in the dialog box that you're
getting, grub2'll install itself in the MBR and kill the chainload.