Old 12-29-2010, 07:15 PM
"John R. Dennison"

Default Does anybody know a PeerGuardian like app?

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 08:04:16AM -0800, S Mathias wrote:
> Are there any programs blocking ip, and has frequently updated lists,
> like the peerguardian on windows?

There are 2 that I am aware of. "moblock" and "pglinux".
"moblock" has Debian/Ubuntu packages available but I do not see
any for rpm land. "pglinux" is beta; it builds under C5.5 but
I've yet do any extensive testing of it. You would need to roll
your own rpms for this package as the build doesn't target rpm
systems at all.

Some quick google-fu will net you the links for both of the
above.

> sorry for the question, but i looking for this kind of application :O

Questions are good. Why apologize?

John
--
If you're talking behind my back you're in a good position to kiss my ass.
-- Unknown

Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Peter Brady

On 30/12/10 3:04 AM, S Mathias wrote:
> Are there any programs blocking ip, and has frequently updated lists, like the peerguardian on windows?

Not sure about what peerguardian does but I use DenyHosts to block
access after a certain number of queries and it swaps IPs. Been happy
with it.

Cheers
-pete

Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 PM
John R Pierce

On 12/29/10 8:04 AM, S Mathias wrote:
> Are there any programs blocking ip, and has frequently updated lists, like the peerguardian on windows?

iptables is the standard method of filtering network traffic on Linux,
apparently Peerguardian is a Windows network filter, one that uses
various 'lists' from elsewhere, but there's no explanation what the
criteria for these lists are? I've read peerguardian's website and
its rather unclear on just what these 'lists' are supposed to block?

it sounds like you want to let various 3rd parties decide just what
internet servers you can connect to?

anyways, on peerguardian's website, there's a link to something mobloq
which is apparently peerguardian for linux, and works via iptables.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:53 AM
James Nguyen

moblock is for linux

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 8:04 AM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Are there any programs blocking ip, and has frequently updated lists, like the peerguardian on windows?
>
> sorry for the question, but i looking for this kind of application :O
>
> Thank you, and a happy christmas!

James H. Nguyen
CallFire :: Systems Architect
http://www.callfire.com