FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default saytime kills sound

Camale髇 wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:14:37 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:


Saytime kills all sound and the only way I know to restore it is to
reboot!


(...)

Does it happen with any other audio file you play or just specifically
when running "saytime"?



Just when running saytime



You can try by restarting the sound server service. It could be that the
sound device is being catched/occupied by the application... "lsof | grep
snd" will tell :-?





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: ifflfq$rm7$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ifflfq$rm7$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 12-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Camale贸n
 
Default saytime kills sound

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:52:25 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camale贸n wrote:

>> Does it happen with any other audio file you play or just specifically
>> when running "saytime"?
>
>
> Just when running saytime

Okay.

Have you tried any of this? (read below) 鈫撯啌鈫撯啌

>> You can try by restarting the sound server service. It could be that
>> the sound device is being catched/occupied by the application... "lsof
>> | grep snd" will tell :-?

Greetings,

--
Camale贸n


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.12.29.16.24.09@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.12.29.16.24.09@gmail.com
 
Old 12-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default saytime kills sound

Camale贸n wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:52:25 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:


Camale贸n wrote:



Does it happen with any other audio file you play or just specifically
when running "saytime"?


Just when running saytime


Okay.

Have you tried any of this? (read below) 鈫撯啌鈫撯啌


You can try by restarting the sound server service. It could be that
the sound device is being catched/occupied by the application... "lsof
| grep snd" will tell :-?




'lsof | grep snd' before executing saytme:

hugo@Debian:/$ more 11.lsof.snd.before
mplayer 2522 root mem CHR 116,5
4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
mplayer 2522 root mem REG 8,3 403940
762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
mplayer 2522 root 5r CHR 116,2 0t0
3875 /dev/snd/timer
mplayer 2522 root 6u CHR 116,5 0t0
4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
mplayer 2522 root 7u CHR 116,8 0t0
4327 /dev/snd/controlC0
mplayer 2529 root mem REG 8,3 403940
762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
konsole 12946 hugo mem REG 8,3 403940
762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
grep 18046 root 1w REG 8,3 0
36 /11.lsof.snd.before
grep 18046 root 2w REG 8,3 0
36 /11.lsof.snd.before


'lsof | grep snd' after executing saytime and sound disappears:

mplayer 2522 root mem CHR 116,5
4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
mplayer 2522 root mem REG 8,3 403940
762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
mplayer 2522 root 5r CHR 116,2 0t0
3875 /dev/snd/timer
mplayer 2522 root 6u CHR 116,5 0t0
4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
mplayer 2522 root 7u CHR 116,8 0t0
4327 /dev/snd/controlC0
mplayer 2529 root mem REG 8,3 403940
762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
grep 8387 root 1w REG 8,3 0
37 /11.lsof.snd.after
grep 8387 root 2w REG 8,3 0
37 /11.lsof.snd.after


Appears not to show a solution...

Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: ifi3r1$dv8$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ifi3r1$dv8$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 12-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default saytime kills sound

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Camale贸n wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:52:25 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:


Camale贸n wrote:



Does it happen with any other audio file you play or just specifically
when running "saytime"?


Just when running saytime


Okay.

Have you tried any of this? (read below) 鈫撯啌鈫撯啌


You can try by restarting the sound server service. It could be that
the sound device is being catched/occupied by the application... "lsof
| grep snd" will tell :-?






Forgot to say: saytime stops sound and also does *not* say the time.

The only way I can get it to say the time is to apt-get source saytime
and move the script version of saytime into the sounds dir and then
execute that.


Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: ific54$k6i$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ific54$k6i$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 12-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Camale髇
 
Default saytime kills sound

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 08:09:37 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camale髇 wrote:

>>>> You can try by restarting the sound server service. It could be that
>>>> the sound device is being catched/occupied by the application...
>>>> "lsof | grep snd" will tell :-?
>>
>>
> 'lsof | grep snd' before executing saytme:
>
> hugo@Debian:/$ more 11.lsof.snd.before
> mplayer 2522 root mem CHR 116,5 4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
> mplayer 2522 root mem REG 8,3 403940 762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
> mplayer 2522 root 5r CHR 116,2 0t0 3875 /dev/snd/timer
> mplayer 2522 root 6u CHR 116,5 0t0 4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
> mplayer 2522 root 7u CHR 116,8 0t0 4327 /dev/snd/controlC0
> mplayer 2529 root mem REG 8,3 403940 762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
> konsole 12946 hugo mem REG 8,3 403940 762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
> grep 18046 root 1w REG 8,3 0 36 /11.lsof.snd.before
> grep 18046 root 2w REG 8,3 0 36 /11.lsof.snd.before
>
> 'lsof | grep snd' after executing saytime and sound disappears:
>
> mplayer 2522 root mem CHR 116,5 4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
> mplayer 2522 root mem REG 8,3 403940 762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
> mplayer 2522 root 5r CHR 116,2 0t0 3875 /dev/snd/timer
> mplayer 2522 root 6u CHR 116,5 0t0 4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
> mplayer 2522 root 7u CHR 116,8 0t0 4327 /dev/snd/controlC0
> mplayer 2529 root mem REG 8,3 403940 762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
> grep 8387 root 1w REG 8,3 0 37 /11.lsof.snd.after
> grep 8387 root 2w REG 8,3 0 37 /11.lsof.snd.after
>
> Appears not to show a solution...

Nope, it's not even visible :-?

In the meantime, instead rebooting to get the sound working again, you
could try by enforcing a reload of the kernel sound module:

# list your sound module
lsmod | grep snd

# remove / add the kernel module
modprobe -r snd_nvidia_xxxx && modprobe snd_nvidia_xxxx

Or by restarting alsa-utils service: "/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart"

Greetings,

--
Camale髇


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.12.30.17.23.07@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.12.30.17.23.07@gmail.com
 
Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default saytime kills sound

Camale髇 wrote:

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 08:09:37 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:


Camale髇 wrote:



You can try by restarting the sound server service. It could be that
the sound device is being catched/occupied by the application...
"lsof | grep snd" will tell :-?



'lsof | grep snd' before executing saytme:

hugo@Debian:/$ more 11.lsof.snd.before
mplayer 2522 root mem CHR 116,5 4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p

mplayer 2522 root mem REG 8,3 403940 762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
mplayer 2522 root 5r CHR 116,2 0t0 3875 /dev/snd/timer
mplayer 2522 root 6u CHR 116,5 0t0 4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
mplayer 2522 root 7u CHR 116,8 0t0 4327 /dev/snd/controlC0
mplayer 2529 root mem REG 8,3 403940 762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
konsole 12946 hugo mem REG 8,3 403940 762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
grep 18046 root 1w REG 8,3 0 36 /11.lsof.snd.before
grep 18046 root 2w REG 8,3 0 36 /11.lsof.snd.before

'lsof | grep snd' after executing saytime and sound disappears:

mplayer 2522 root mem CHR 116,5 4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
mplayer 2522 root mem REG 8,3 403940 762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
mplayer 2522 root 5r CHR 116,2 0t0 3875 /dev/snd/timer
mplayer 2522 root 6u CHR 116,5 0t0 4324 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
mplayer 2522 root 7u CHR 116,8 0t0 4327 /dev/snd/controlC0
mplayer 2529 root mem REG 8,3 403940 762176 /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.23
grep 8387 root 1w REG 8,3 0 37 /11.lsof.snd.after
grep 8387 root 2w REG 8,3 0 37 /11.lsof.snd.after

Appears not to show a solution...


Nope, it's not even visible :-?

In the meantime, instead rebooting to get the sound working again, you
could try by enforcing a reload of the kernel sound module:


# list your sound module
lsmod | grep snd

# remove / add the kernel module
modprobe -r snd_nvidia_xxxx && modprobe snd_nvidia_xxxx

Or by restarting alsa-utils service: "/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart"



If you get the source of saytime and move the saytime SCRIPT to the
sounds dir. and change th last statement 'cat $SAYFILES > /dev/audio' to
'aplay $SAYFILES' then, although it sounds terrible, saytime *does* say
the time.


That 'cat ... > /dev/audio' is what kills the audio if any is playing,
although I don't know why.


Hugo





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: ifin7i$b4d$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ifin7i$b4d$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Elimar Riesebieter
 
Default saytime kills sound

* Camale髇 [101230 17:23 +0000]:
[...]
> Nope, it's not even visible :-?

Don't bother us with wasteful stuff. See [0]. Saytime is actually
unusable.

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=587124

Elimar


--
Learned men are the cisterns of knowledge,
not the fountainheads ;-)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101231104242.GA4373@samweis.home.lxtec.de">http://lists.debian.org/20101231104242.GA4373@samweis.home.lxtec.de
 
Old 12-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Camale髇
 
Default saytime kills sound

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:42:42 +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> * Camale髇 [101230 17:23 +0000]:
> [...]
>> Nope, it's not even visible :-?
>
> Don't bother us with wasteful stuff.

That sounds a bit rough... what do you exactly consider is "wasteful" in
helping people?

> See [0]. Saytime is actually
> unusable.
>
> [0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=587124

Well, that can explain some things (distorted sound output) but once you
are stuck and lost your sound at all, it would be nice to know how to
restore it without the needing of restarting the system.

Greetings,

--
Camale髇


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.12.31.11.30.35@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.12.31.11.30.35@gmail.com
 
Old 12-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default saytime kills sound

Camale髇 wrote:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:42:42 +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:


* Camale髇 [101230 17:23 +0000]:
[...]

Nope, it's not even visible :-?
Don't bother us with wasteful stuff.


That sounds a bit rough... what do you exactly consider is "wasteful" in
helping people?



See [0]. Saytime is actually
unusable.

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=587124


Well, that can explain some things (distorted sound output) but once you
are stuck and lost your sound at all, it would be nice to know how to
restore it without the needing of restarting the system.




There is something funny going on: when you get the source you do not
get the Debian version: because that mentions using sox and there is no
sox call through execl in saytime.c.


Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: ifksa5$ouj$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ifksa5$ouj$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 12-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default saytime kills sound

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Camale髇 wrote:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:42:42 +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:


* Camale髇 [101230 17:23 +0000]:
[...]

Nope, it's not even visible :-?
Don't bother us with wasteful stuff.


That sounds a bit rough... what do you exactly consider is "wasteful"
in helping people?



See [0]. Saytime is actually
unusable.

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=587124


Well, that can explain some things (distorted sound output) but once
you are stuck and lost your sound at all, it would be nice to know how
to restore it without the needing of restarting the system.




There is something funny going on: when you get the source you do not
get the Debian version: because that mentions using sox and there is no
sox call through execl in saytime.c.




So I took the source that one gets with 'apt-get source saytime' and
changed it:

1. Don't write to /dev/audio but use excl to call sox to write to /dev/dsp.
2. Generate the deb with 'dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -rfakeroot' and then
execute the binary through the alsa-oss wrapper, like so: 'aoss saytime'


That says the time clearly and does not kill the sound.

I enclose the patch as an attachment, if such a thing is possible.

Hugo
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:54 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org