Old 12-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Jason Filippou

Default X gone

Hello list,

I was having some trouble running openGL in my Debian testing,
2.6.32-5-686 kernel version system. I have an NVIDIA card and ran the
driver provided by nvidia-kernel-dkms. The problem was that when I ran
glxinfo, I got:

glxinfo: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: undefined symbol: _nv000006gl

so I decided to google a bit, ending up on an arch linux distribution
link which suggested that a certain filesystem folder be deleted:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12771. This folder was /usr/lib/tls.

After I -apparently wrongfully- deleted it, my 2.6.32-5-686 kernel
gets stuck during loading of the X server, and once I see or skip
through the error messages, I don't even get a shell to do some typing
to. Luckily, I had a 2.6.32-3-686 kernel in my system, which,
unfortunately, doesn't load X either. This particular kernel version,
does, however, give me a shell, yet I have tried lots of things, such
as reinstalling the 5-686 kernel ( I don't want to mess around with
the 3-686 image and end up with an unusable installation),
re-installing the xserver-xorg package, even removing
nvidia-kernel-dkms and trying to install one of three NVIDIA
installers I already had in my home folder: 190.53, 195.36.08,
256.35). However, trying to run every one of those installer scripts
tells me that I do not have the appropriate source files for the
kernel that I'm running (which, I would like to remind you, is
currently 2.6.32-3-686). I tried installing the appropriate
linux-headers package, however, there seems to not exist a
linux-headers-2.6.32-3-686 package. I also reinstalled
linux-source-2.6.32 and linux-source-2.6, yet the NVIDIA installers
will still not run. Installing nvidia-kernel-source doesn't help
either.

So I'm stuck with a kernel I can not even run a shell from, and
another older one which doesn't appear to be of much help to me.
Anything I could do?

Currently posting from my laptop. When I run startx, I get a bunch of
errors, such as:

Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 190.53, but
this NVIDIA driver component has version 195.36.31. Please make sure
that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same
version.
(EE) Dec 29 14:38:15 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIa kernel module.
.
.
.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): ***Aborting***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatar server error:
no screens found.
.
.
.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Thanks for any help, as I'm not sure what to do here. Please do CC me
as I am not on the list.

--
Jason Filippou

http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~std06142

Old 12-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Jason Filippou

Dear list,

I am really really sorry for wasting your time with such a lengthy
message. Once I understood that I could actually load a shell with
ctrl + alt + f1 from my newest kernel I was able to run the 256.35
NVIDIA installer (given that I had all linux-headers and linux-source
packages for that kernerl installed) that I had and everything runs
smootlhy now.

Really sorry once again,

Jason

--