Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Simon Hollenbach

Default Unlock multiple partitions at once on boot-up

Hello list,

I recently set up a system/squeeze I wanna use as a gateway. For various reasons I decided to go for crypto-drives. Since I split up my hdd and configured mdadm-raid1, I ended up with multiple partitions for which I provided the same key. On bootup I now gotta prove that Im able to type the pass five times, I think, without flaw.

What I would need is either a place to tell that the same phrase is to be used to unlock them all or a scripting approach that repeats the entered string for all drives.

Sometimes I think this is an unfortunate setup, I should have encrypted a single volume, then raid1 on it and afterwards some virtual partitions via mdadm. Comments on that are highly appreciated since Im new to these hdd charms...

Have a nice day

Simon

Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

I recently set up a system/squeeze I wanna use as a gateway. For
various reasons I decided to go for crypto-drives. Since I split up
my hdd and configured mdadm-raid1, I ended up with multiple
partitions for which I provided the same key. On bootup I now gotta
prove that Im able to type the pass five times, I think, without flaw.
What I would need is either a place to tell that the same phrase is
to be used to unlock them all or a scripting approach that repeats
the entered string for all drives.
Sometimes I think this is an unfortunate setup, I should have
encrypted a single volume, then raid1 on it and afterwards some
virtual partitions via mdadm. Comments on that are highly
appreciated since Im new to these hdd charms...

I once saw a solution in which one partition was first unlocked with a
passphrase, and then all other ones were unlocked with key files
stored in that first partition. You might be able to do that.

--
My mother loved children -- she would have given anything if I had been one.
-- Groucho Marx

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Archive: 20101229101205.11554pnar8q10y2o@mail.kalinowski.co m.br">http://lists.debian.org/20101229101205.11554pnar8q10y2o@mail.kalinowski.co m.br

Old 12-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Simon Hollenbach

Sorry, hit send to fast. Why doesnt the N900 support mailing lists in a better way ?...

Old 12-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Bob Proulx

Simon Hollenbach wrote:

> I recently set up a system/squeeze I wanna use as a gateway. For
> various reasons I decided to go for crypto-drives.

Sure.

> Since I split up my hdd and configured mdadm-raid1, I ended up with
> multiple partitions for which I provided the same key. On bootup I
> now gotta prove that Im able to type the pass five times, I think,
> without flaw.

Instead of using five separately encrypted partitions I suggest that
you use one encrypted partition as a basis for LVM. Then use LVM to
create your individual partitions and swap. This is my typical
configuration and it works very well. Then you only need to supply
the passphrase once when booting.

> Sometimes I think this is an unfortunate setup, I should have
> encrypted a single volume, then raid1 on it and afterwards some
> virtual partitions via mdadm. Comments on that are highly
> appreciated since Im new to these hdd charms...

Yes. :-)

Bob