Old 12-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Vuki

Default md transfer

Hi Folks!

I have got an old server(debian 4.0) with two hard disks(sda, sdb), 3
raid1 md device (md0:boot, md1:/, md2:home).
I would like to transfer these 3 partitions to a new server(also 2
disks(sda,sdb), also raid1(md0,md1,md2)).

I used dd to copy the data to the new md devices, but the server does
not boot.

How can i make bootable my new disks, md device?

Vuki

Archive: 4D1AEAD4.5040200@informatik.hu">http://lists.debian.org/4D1AEAD4.5040200@informatik.hu

Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Vuki

Archive: 4D1AEE6E.9050807@informatik.hu">http://lists.debian.org/4D1AEE6E.9050807@informatik.hu

Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Pascal Hambourg

Hello,

Vuki a écrit :

> I have got an old server(debian 4.0) with two hard disks(sda, sdb), 3
> raid1 md device (md0:boot, md1:/, md2:home).
> I would like to transfer these 3 partitions to a new server(also 2
> disks(sda,sdb), also raid1(md0,md1,md2)).
>
> I used dd to copy the data to the new md devices, but the server does
> not boot.

How did you use dd exactly to copy the data ?
What happens exactly when the machine boots (or fails to boot) ?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Vuki

dd if=/dev/md0 of=/home/user/root.img
and same for md1 and md2
dd if=root.img of=/dev/md0
etc....

grub says "error: file not found"
and enters rescue mode

Archive: 4D1B2B40.5080109@informatik.hu">http://lists.debian.org/4D1B2B40.5080109@informatik.hu

Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Bob Proulx

Vuki wrote:
> I have got an old server(debian 4.0) with two hard disks(sda, sdb),
> 3 raid1 md device (md0:boot, md1:/, md2:home).

Please do not hijack the discussion thread. You replied to Tom H's
message "insserv + apache2 + bind9 = pain" but are not talking about
that topic but are instead asking a new question.

Please when starting a new topic of discussion just start a new topic
and do not jump into the middle of another discussion. This is to
your advantage as much as it is to ours since anyone who is ignoring
the discussion thread will not see your message.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/12/thrd4.html#01609

> I would like to transfer these 3 partitions to a new server(also 2
> disks(sda,sdb), also raid1(md0,md1,md2)).
>
> I used dd to copy the data to the new md devices, but the server
> does not boot.
>
> How can i make bootable my new disks, md device?

Please start a new thread with this question.

But without saying why your system is not booting it is impossible to
know if it is because the bootloader (possibly grub) needs to be
installed on the new disks (installed on both new disks) or if because
your partitions tables are incorrect for the new disks or if it is
another problem. Since your old system was 4.0 you need to say if
the new system is also 4.0 or something newer? You would need to use
a compatible match. Otherwise the old 4.0 system might not be able to
boot a newer system. For example 5.0 has a newer LVM system.

Since you are moving from one raid system to a new raid system if I
were doing the upgrade I would split the raid. Manually fail and
remove one disk from the raid on the old system. Put that disk on the
shelf as a backup of the old system. Then install the new disk in the
system and add it into the raid system and let the raid sync between
the disks. Ensure that grub has been installed onto the new disk.
This needs to be done manually since it is not done automatically, at
least not in Debian 4.0. Then remove the new disk from the old system
and install it in the new system. Boot the new system with the cloned
disk. Booting the old image on the new system will probably work but
it is possible that there may be some driver issues that will need to
be worked through manually. I find those fairly easy to deal with and
easier than alternatives and so generally deal with any issues at that
point. Then add in the second new disk to the raid on the new system
and let the raid sync. You will have a new clone of your old system
up and running.

Then since you are running Debian 4.0 you should read the release
notes and upgrade through each major release to the current stable.
Right now that is only Debian 5.0 but soon 6.0 will be released. Do
not upgraded from 4 to 6 directly but only through each major release
in between.

A different alternative but guaranteed working solution would be to
use the standard debian-installer and to install a working system on
the new drives in the disk partition layout that you desire. Use it
to set up raid, lvm, grub, and so forth. Just install the minimum
possible system packages to get the system booting. Then copy the
data from your old system onto your new system.

Bob