Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Ken Heard

Default CDROM burning problem - new approach

Since I have two DVD/CD rewritable drive units in two different boxes,
it occurred to me to swap the two and see what would happen. Here is
the result:

ken@SOL:~/downloads$ wodim -v speed=2 dev=/dev/hda
debian-507-i386-kde-CD-1.iso
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/hda'
devname: '/dev/hda'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.9
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identification : 'DVD-RAM GSA-H55N'
Revision : '1.03'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0009 (CD-R)
Profile: 0x0012 (DVD-RAM)
Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL)
Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
Profile: 0x0016 (DVD-R/DL layer jump recording)
Profile: 0x0015 (DVD-R/DL sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R) (current)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM)
Profile: 0x0002 (Removable disk)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1114112 = 1088 KB
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
Drive DMA Speed: 94870 kB/s 539x CD 68x DVD
FIFO size : 12582912 = 12288 KB
Track 01: data 647 MB
Total size: 743 MB (73:41.98) = 331649 sectors
Lout start: 744 MB (73:43/74) = 331649 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
Indicated writing power: 5
Is not unrestricted
Is not erasable
Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
ATIP start of lead in: -11634 (97:26/66)
ATIP start of lead out: 359846 (79:59/71)
Disk type: Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
Blocks total: 359846 Blocks current: 359846 Blocks remaining: 28197
Speed set to 2822 KB/s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 16.0 in real TAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Performing OPC...
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01: 647 of 647 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf 91%] 16.2x.
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 679213056/679213056 (331647 sectors).
Writing time: 292.020s
Average write speed 15.1x.
Min drive buffer fill was 90%
Fixating...
Fixating time: 18.373s
wodim: fifo had 10699 puts and 10699 gets.
wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 10417 times full, min fill was 97%.
ken@SOL:~/downloads$

So, as can be seen, with the replacement drive unit everything was
working as it should. The question now is why one drive would work but
not the other.

The working box has a Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L mainboard with an Intel dual
core CPU. The operating system is Debian Lenny. The DVD/CD drive which
worked is a LG model GSA-H55N dating from 2007-09-12.

The one that did not work in this box is a Sony model DW-D26A dating
from March 2005. Previously this drive was used and worked in an Intel
P4 box, the mainboard of which was a DFI dating from before 2002. This
box has been out of service for at least a year and is due to be recycled.

In the Gigabyte box I had put the Sony drive instead of the LG one
because I preferred the colour of the face plate on the former -- beige
instead of black. It would seem that in this case practicality trumps
aesthetics.

I would still like to know why the Sony drive would not write (it did
read) in the Gigabyte box and fix it if possible. Could it be a
firmware problem?

Regards, Ken Heard

Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Chance Platt

Since I have two DVD/CD rewritable drive units in two different boxes,
it occurred to me to swap the two and see what would happen. Here is
the result:

ken@SOL:~/downloads$ wodim -v speed=2 dev=/dev/hda

wodim: fifo had 10699 puts and 10699 gets.
wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 10417 times full, min fill was 97%.
ken@SOL:~/downloads$

So, as can be seen, with the replacement drive unit everything was
working as it should. The question now is why one drive would work but
not the other.

I would still like to know why the Sony drive would not write (it did
read) in the Gigabyte box and fix it if possible. Could it be a
firmware problem?

Google is your friend here, but by my experience, most likely not.

This is an obvious hardware problem. It is a common failure mode for a
drive to stop burning or burn intermittently and continue to otherwise
work. Also common is for burnable media to go bad, or a particular
combination of drive and CD media to not work.

It would be interesting for you to try burning from the other computer
with the non-working drive, and to try new media of a different brand.

At least here in the US, a new drive costs roughly twice a smaller pack
of CDRs. In the interest of time and cost, it may be easier to replace
the drive altogether.

Chance

Archive: 4D1A7FB9.3090500@sdf.lonestar.org">http://lists.debian.org/4D1A7FB9.3090500@sdf.lonestar.org

Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 06:26:23PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:

> Since I have two DVD/CD rewritable drive units in two different boxes,
> it occurred to me to swap the two and see what would happen. Here is
> the result:
>
> ken@SOL:~/downloads$ wodim -v speed=2 dev=/dev/hda
> debian-507-i386-kde-CD-1.iso
> Device type : Removable CD-ROM
> Version : 0
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities :
> Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST'
> Identification : 'DVD-RAM GSA-H55N'
[..]
> Track 01: 647 of 647 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf 91%] 16.2x.
> Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 679213056/679213056 (331647 sectors).
> Writing time: 292.020s
> Average write speed 15.1x.
> Min drive buffer fill was 90%
> Fixating...
> Fixating time: 18.373s
> wodim: fifo had 10699 puts and 10699 gets.
> wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 10417 times full, min fill was 97%.
> ken@SOL:~/downloads$
>
> So, as can be seen, with the replacement drive unit everything was
> working as it should. The question now is why one drive would work but
> not the other.

Sorry to hear it was the drive that was faulty and not the medium.
I did notice that setting the speed on the "Sony DVD RW DW-D26A" didn't
seem to have any affect.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 12-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Ken Heard