-   -   dumb question about blu ray drive configuration and playing blu ray movies etc.... (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/469967-dumb-question-about-blu-ray-drive-configuration-playing-blu-ray-movies-etc.html)

Michael Fothergill 12-28-2010 06:30 PM

dumb question about blu ray drive configuration and playing blu ray movies etc....

Dear Debian folks,

I have been investigating the world of 3D TV and Blu ray players
etc...... I also found a blu ray drive for a PC in a store I visited.
Googling around seems to produce some funny results. Some web pages
say that no OS can handle blu ray including Windows 7 even though the
drive in the store said it was Windows 7 ready and I found Microsoft
user websites with Windows users grumbling that they couldn't play blu
ray on their PCs .... A have strange hacky looking solutions posted
in them. Yet others have ominous discussions about digital rights
management restrictions resulting in them being unusable by design
without having access to some sort of digital key that only
proprietary software would work with.