Old 12-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Default curator replacement

What's a good replacement for the curator photo album generating
package? It was dropped from Debian at least a couple of years ago.

I'd like something that doesn't suck performance wise due to python code
that can't be optimized by psyco. Something that uses multiple
processes or threads would be fantastic as I'll be running it on a dual
CPU box, one that is rather old, 500 MHz CPUs. Curator is a serial
single threaded process and thus only uses on CPU (or core).

Basically I want the features of curator, but in something that runs
much faster. Generating the individual image pages takes _forever_ on
dirs with thousands of jpg files. I'm guessing if someone with the
necessary python skill rewrote curator's function layout in a manner
that psyco could optimize, that it would be plenty fast on the
aforementioned machine. Currently it takes on the order of .5 seconds
to generate each ~2K html page. A 500 MHz CPU should be able to
generate at least 10 times as many html pages per second if the curator
python code performance didn't suck.

I'd like something similar that generates static image pages with the
nice index pages curator does. A db driven system won't work for
creating CDs full of images to distribute.

--
Stan

Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:09:26 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> What's a good replacement for the curator photo album generating
> package? It was dropped from Debian at least a couple of years ago.

(...)

I dunno if "photon" (python based), "imageindex" (perl) or "jigl" (perl)
can make use of multi-core/multi-threading capabilities but their
features look pretty similar to "curator".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM
godo

[...]

Hi,
I'm not using any photo album so I don’t know how this 2 works but they
generate html/css/js without db. It seems that they are very
customizable and that have lot of options. Both are in Perl.

http://bins.sautret.org/
http://marginalhacks.com/Hacks/album/

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Archive: 4D18F0B6.1020403@dobosevic.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D18F0B6.1020403@dobosevic.com

Old 12-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Sven Hoexter

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 08:01:24PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:09:26 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
> > What's a good replacement for the curator photo album generating
> > package? It was dropped from Debian at least a couple of years ago.
>
> (...)
>
> I dunno if "photon" (python based), "imageindex" (perl) or "jigl" (perl)
> can make use of multi-core/multi-threading capabilities but their
> features look pretty similar to "curator".

I've replaced curator with jigl for myself. Though I think I still have
the last package I uploaded to Debian around. If someone dares to
use it (I think jigl is much better) mail me and I'll dig it out but this
should not go back into Debian. It's dead upstream and IIRC it still had
some open issue.

Sven
--
I don't know much, but I do know this:
With a golden heart, comes a rebel fist

Old 12-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Stan Hoeppner

godo put forth on 12/27/2010 2:01 PM:

> http://bins.sautret.org/
> http://marginalhacks.com/Hacks/album/

Camaleón put forth on 12/27/2010 2:01 PM:

> I dunno if "photon" (python based), "imageindex" (perl) or "jigl" (perl)
> can make use of multi-core/multi-threading capabilities but their
> features look pretty similar to "curator".

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Imageindex looks the most promising,
so I'll give it a go first. jigl has limited multiprocessing support
but I like the rest of imageindex better so far for my needs. I didn't
care for sautret or album much at all.

--
Stan