Old 12-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Richard Riley

Default Debian Squeeze and Intel 82830 GC on Thinkpad X30

Evening all,

I've been running Testing on my Thinkpad X30 for a few years now and the
video set up has often to be tweaked - it even worked once with NO
xorg.conf which I believe is the ultimate aim for the developers of
Xorg. That is fine and why we use Testing

I am now having to use a default xorg.conf using vesa but HW
acceleration is next to non existent as is to be expected I think. Flash
player runs about 2 frames a second - even small videos. It used to,
once upon a time, work fine. You can see the commented out "intel
specifics" that were once recommended that dont work with Squeeze.

With NO xorg.conf the laptop wont start : I just see a flickery cursor
in the top left. ctl-alt-f1 etc doesnt switch it back to a working
res/refresh either.

I'm looking for some advice on how I should go about configuring the
xorg.conf. The vesa one that works (slowly and tends to get corrupted after a
few hours usage) is below.

Is there some sort of utility which can create an xorg.conf for me that
works properly with the 82830?

Possibly someone out there has a working xorg.conf for this amazingly
long lived little laptop?

Thanks for your patience and any advice

(1) lspci:-

,----
| 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82830 830 Chipset Host Bridge (rev 04)
| 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 04)
| 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]
`----

(2) Working xorg.conf (removing it leavces machine inoperable)

,----

`----

regards

r.

--
☘ http://www.shamrockirishbar.com, http://splash-of-open-sauce.blogspot.com/ http://www.richardriley.net

Old 12-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Stefan Monnier

> Possibly someone out there has a working xorg.conf for this amazingly
> long lived little laptop?

I use Debian testing on my X30 with an empty xorg.conf.
The switch to "kernel mode setting" (KMS) seems to have brought its
share of problems, tho: without KMS the i810 driver won't start any
more, and with KMS, the text console doesn't display (so I get a blank
screen for a large part of the boot, until X starts up, which is
a problem when X fails to start up or when booting to single user mode).

In case it matters, it seems that KMS is controlled via
/etc/modprobe.d/i810.conf (and you may have to update-initramfs after
changing that file).

Stefan

Old 12-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Richard Riley

>> Possibly someone out there has a working xorg.conf for this amazingly
>> long lived little laptop?
>
> I use Debian testing on my X30 with an empty xorg.conf.
> The switch to "kernel mode setting" (KMS) seems to have brought its
> share of problems, tho: without KMS the i810 driver won't start any
> more, and with KMS, the text console doesn't display (so I get a blank
> screen for a large part of the boot, until X starts up, which is
> a problem when X fails to start up or when booting to single user mode).
>
> In case it matters, it seems that KMS is controlled via
> /etc/modprobe.d/i810.conf (and you may have to update-initramfs after
> changing that file).
>
> Stefan

So you use KMS and get good performance? I'll give it a go. Any ideas if
its something being worked on - old workhorses like this are perfect low
cost Linux workstations and it's a shame things break so regularly in
video-land. I use testing on all my machines and its only this one that
video is a hit and miss affair. When Squeeze goes stable I'll probably
keep it there then.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:52 AM
Stefan Monnier

> So you use KMS and get good performance?

I'm not very sensitive to video performance, but I didn't notice any
particularly slow operation.

Stefan