-   -   o/t ipod (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/469296-o-t-ipod.html)

Ted Wager 12-26-2010 11:32 AM

o/t ipod

My son has bought me an ipodtouch for Xmas..Anyone tell me how I can
transfer the music files on his ipod to mine ?..I only have Linux on my
machines but can get access to a Winbox at a neighbours...

Peter Beck 12-26-2010 12:10 PM

o/t ipod

On Sun, 2010-12-26 at 06:32 -0600, Ted Wager wrote:
> My son has bought me an ipodtouch for Xmas..Anyone tell me how I can
> transfer the music files on his ipod to mine ?..I only have Linux on my
> machines but can get access to a Winbox at a neighbours...

on windows it's not possible to attach the device with itunes on
different computers without loosing all files. (I think there are 3rd
party tools for that, but no idea how they are called)
I have seen Ubuntu with Rhythmbox working out of the box without loosing
all songs - just attach and copy the files to the disk.
Not sure on debian, afaik it did not work flawlessy on Lenny, but i
think it could work out of the box with Squeeze. There is a plugin on
Squeeze's Rhythmbox - Portable Players iPod.

If it does not work - maybe these links are useful:
http://wiki.debian.org/iPod
http://wiki.debian.org/iPhone

Regards
Peter

shawn wilson 12-26-2010 12:24 PM

o/t ipod

On Dec 26, 2010 7:57 AM, "Ted Wager" <ted@trufflesdad.plus.com> wrote:

> My son has bought me an ipodtouch for Xmas..Anyone tell me how I can

> transfer the music files on his ipod to mine ?..I only have Linux on my

> machines but can get access to a Winbox at a neighbours...

IIRC, there is no real good answer for linux. I think rythmbox has some capabilities (that can be enabled or configured). You could also jailbreak it and just scp stuff over (though you might need to hack around with plist xml files). Itunes on windows is an option (though I'm not sure how to handle account security or drm issues here). Also, if you go that route, you're not really going to be able to keep your music synced up. If your computer can handle it, you might research into running itunes inside of a windows virtual box session.

Jerome BENOIT 12-26-2010 12:31 PM

o/t ipod

have you tried to share your iTune stuff ?

Archive: 4D1743BD.7020802@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D1743BD.7020802@rezozer.net

"Robert Blair Mason Jr." 12-26-2010 02:56 PM

o/t ipod

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:10:27 +0100
Peter Beck <peter@datentraeger.li> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-12-26 at 06:32 -0600, Ted Wager wrote:
> > My son has bought me an ipodtouch for Xmas..Anyone tell me how I can
> > transfer the music files on his ipod to mine ?..I only have Linux on my
> > machines but can get access to a Winbox at a neighbours...
>
> on windows it's not possible to attach the device with itunes on
> different computers without loosing all files. (I think there are 3rd
> party tools for that, but no idea how they are called)

Actually it is. The most important factor is the source of the songs.
If they were bought on iTunes more than a year and a half ago, then
they are most likely laden with iTunes' DRM (the songs have a .m4p
extension). Anyway, I digress. I know that if you go into iTunes and
open the iPod's page, and then select "enable disk use" then you can
just copy all the files over (they'll be nested pretty deeply, just
look for a bunch of folders containing possibly yet more folders which
contain a bunch of four-letter filenames). After you copy them you
should be able to drag them into iTunes. If you go the linux route you
SHOULD be able to just connect the ipod and open the folder. I'm
running Sid with LXDE, and opening up the file manager allowed me
_read_only_ access to the iPod, with no fancy command-line mount
required. However, it did connect with an extremely slow protocol,
which appeared to take more time to copy the files than accessing it as
a USB device on windows (disclaimer: subjective experience, may have
had to do with better hardware on winbox).

So to wrap up, the files are on there, all you need to do is get read
access and copy it over. No fancy third party program needed. The
files are all correctly tagged, so they should play with a quick drag
and/or import into -insert favorite music player here- as long as -said
music player- has support for the MPEG-4 codec. Note that these codecs
are patent-encumbered, so they might be in multiverse. I think the
package for the gstreamer powered applications is gstreamer-plugins-bad
or something. And if they're DRM protected, then I can make a torrent
that contains the software to take off the DRM (requiem)- note that
this requires installing an early version of itunes (i think) and only
works on windows.

--
rbmj

John Jason Jordan 12-26-2010 04:32 PM

o/t ipod

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 06:32:34 -0600
Ted Wager <ted@trufflesdad.plus.com> dijo:

>My son has bought me an ipodtouch for Xmas..Anyone tell me how I can
>transfer the music files on his ipod to mine ?..I only have Linux on
>my machines but can get access to a Winbox at a neighbours...

I use gtkpod. Works like a champ. You'd have to plug in your son's iPod
first and transfer the files to your computer, then plug your iPod in
and copy them to it off your computer.

Having said that, I don't have any music that was purchased and might
have DRM stuff. All my music is classical that I ripped myself from my
CD collection. I don't know what gtkpod will do with DRM. Also, my iPod
is several years old, so I don't know if there might be a problem with
newer models. But gtkpod is in the repos, so it'll only take a
couple minutes to give it a shot.

12-26-2010 05:23 PM

o/t ipod

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 09:32:46 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 06:32:34 -0600
> Ted Wager <ted@trufflesdad.plus.com> dijo:
>
> >My son has bought me an ipodtouch for Xmas..Anyone tell me how I can
> >transfer the music files on his ipod to mine ?..I only have Linux on
> >my machines but can get access to a Winbox at a neighbours...
>
> I use gtkpod. Works like a champ. You'd have to plug in your son's
> iPod first and transfer the files to your computer, then plug your
> iPod in and copy them to it off your computer.
>
> Having said that, I don't have any music that was purchased and might
> have DRM stuff. All my music is classical that I ripped myself from my
> CD collection. I don't know what gtkpod will do with DRM. Also, my
> iPod is several years old, so I don't know if there might be a
> problem with newer models. But gtkpod is in the repos, so it'll only
> take a couple minutes to give it a shot.

one thing you need to know about gtkpod. the ipod has to have been
formatted for use under windoze. if it's mac formatted it has hfs, or
some variation thereof, and gtkpod can't seem to deal with it.

FYI.