Old 12-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

Default Monitor question

On 12/28/2010 09:40 AM, Klistvud wrote:

It's also horrible for web browsing, and for many other tasks. It
actually only has two uses I can think of: widescreen movies and
side-by-side document viewing. Given that movies are best viewed on
large TV sets anyway, the usefulness of widescreen computer monitors is
further reduced to just side-by-side document viewing. Arguably, even
for that task, dual-head setups are better.

On the other hand, there are those of us who must use portable systems
for side-by-side document reading and/or tiled terminal window use while
traveling and are, thus, limited to a single screen. Widescreen works
better for us. My portable systems have 1920x1200 LCDs. I'm so
accustomed to them that I don't bother with multi-monitor setups at home
or at the office any more. Just one widescreen setup suffices, and I
don't have to fiddle around switching between multi-monitor and single
monitor setups any more.

My totally unbiased and scientific $.02.

;-)

Archive: 4D1A0015.1000907@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D1A0015.1000907@comcast.net

Old 12-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Klistvud

Dne, 28. 12. 2010 15:49:26 je Paul Cartwright napisal(a):

On 12/28/2010 09:40 AM, Klistvud wrote:

> It's also horrible for web browsing, and for many other tasks. It
> actually only has two uses I can think of: widescreen movies and
> side-by-side document viewing. Given that movies are best viewed on
> large TV sets anyway, the usefulness of widescreen computer
monitors is
> further reduced to just side-by-side document viewing. Arguably,
even

> for that task, dual-head setups are better.

so ( I'm REALLY late into this thread) what you are saying is, I
should

opt for dual-monitors rather than1 LARGER monitor? I had never even
considered dual monitors for HOME use, I always thought it was a work
thingie.. Right now I have a 20" flat panel, but I ALSO still have my
"old" 17" flat panel that I use for my server.. I could I suspect, add
IT to my desktop & make it dual monitors.. what would I need, another
video card the same as my current NVidia card, or would it matter?

I was only making a point; I have no direct experience with dual-head
setups. That said, I've seen them used in "home" environments too. I
guess it's your call really. As one of the posters said, given a big
enough monitor (> 30"), a single monitor can competently replace a
dual-head setup. Not in all use cases though. Dual-head setups allow
you to have, say, a VT on one monitor and a desktop environment on the
other, or a desktop on one monitor and a full-screen video (or OpenGL
game) on the other -- things not possible with a single monitor, AFAIK.
On the other hand, dual-head setups do (generally) require an
additional video card and they are (generally again) more complex and
harder to set up. You have to consider what you'll be using your setup
for; persaonally, I'd be more than happy with, say, a single monitor,
as long as it was at least > 28". Currently I'm on a 15" laptop LCD and
am not happy with it.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 19:11:28 +0100, Klistvud wrote:

> Dne, 28. 12. 2010 15:49:26 je Paul Cartwright napisal(a):
>> On 12/28/2010 09:40 AM, Klistvud wrote:
>> >
>> > It's also horrible for web browsing, and for many other tasks. It
>> > actually only has two uses I can think of: widescreen movies and
>> > side-by-side document viewing. Given that movies are best viewed on
>> > large TV sets anyway, the usefulness of widescreen computer
>> monitors is
>> > further reduced to just side-by-side document viewing. Arguably,
>> even
>> > for that task, dual-head setups are better.
>>
>> so ( I'm REALLY late into this thread) what you are saying is, I should
>> opt for dual-monitors rather than1 LARGER monitor? I had never even
>> considered dual monitors for HOME use, I always thought it was a work
>> thingie.. Right now I have a 20" flat panel, but I ALSO still have my
>> "old" 17" flat panel that I use for my server.. I could I suspect, add
>> IT to my desktop & make it dual monitors.. what would I need, another
>> video card the same as my current NVidia card, or would it matter?

I'm currently using that setup with lenny on a computer used for
displaying presentations, videos and photos at the office. I'm using one
video card with dual head capabilities (an old nvidia 7600GS) and here I
use the closed "nvidia" driver. Setup was plain easy (in twinview mode,
the two displays act as separated screens so I can launch two
applications and get them maximized on each screen).

There are VGA cards that allow to manage up to 4 displays with just one
card attached :-)

> I was only making a point; I have no direct experience with dual-head
> setups. That said, I've seen them used in "home" environments too. I
> guess it's your call really. As one of the posters said, given a big
> enough monitor (> 30"), a single monitor can competently replace a
> dual-head setup. Not in all use cases though. Dual-head setups allow you
> to have, say, a VT on one monitor and a desktop environment on the
> other, or a desktop on one monitor and a full-screen video (or OpenGL
> game) on the other -- things not possible with a single monitor, AFAIK.
> On the other hand, dual-head setups do (generally) require an additional
> video card and they are (generally again) more complex and harder to set
> up. You have to consider what you'll be using your setup for;
> persaonally, I'd be more than happy with, say, a single monitor, as long
> as it was at least > 28". Currently I'm on a 15" laptop LCD and am not
> happy with it.

I've used both (large displays -24"- and dual head setups -2 displays of
19"-) and having one large screen is not that easy in linux systems
(windows are hard to position in the screen and dimensions are forgotten
very easily so you end up moving windows all the time :-P).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Chris Jones

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 08:46:38PM EST, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Chris Jones put forth on 12/27/2010 7:00 PM:
> > On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:57:31AM EST, Camaleón wrote:

> >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:30:57 -0500, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> >
> > [..]
> >
> >> When it comes to LCD/TFT, you have to pay attention to native
> >> resolution.
> >
> > I agree. And the highest you can get.

> Not necessarily. This is highly dependent on the users(s) of the
> monitor.
>
> I built my folks a new PC last year (Athlon II X2 Rigor 2.8 w/ ATI
> north bridge video) and got them a 24" Asus widescreen LCD to go with
> it. Dad is 73 Mom is 68. Dad wears trifocals and Mom bifocals. No
> matter what font size (WinXP)

[..]

My remark was to be taken in the context of environments that are
configurable to the users' rather than the vendor's preferences.

;-)

cj

Old 12-30-2010, 04:25 AM
Johan Kullstam

Gilbert Sullivan <whirlygig@comcast.net> writes:

> On 12/28/2010 09:40 AM, Klistvud wrote:
>> It's also horrible for web browsing, and for many other tasks. It
>> actually only has two uses I can think of: widescreen movies and
>> side-by-side document viewing. Given that movies are best viewed on
>> large TV sets anyway, the usefulness of widescreen computer monitors is
>> further reduced to just side-by-side document viewing. Arguably, even
>> for that task, dual-head setups are better.
>
> On the other hand, there are those of us who must use portable systems
> for side-by-side document reading and/or tiled terminal window use
> while traveling and are, thus, limited to a single screen. Widescreen
> works better for us.

Good for you. My gripe is that one can no longer choose. It's
shortscreen or nothing.

I had an old thinkpad t42 with a 14" 1440x1050 and it rocked. It
weighed only 4.5 lbs even with cd drive. For me, it was an optimal size
and weight. The current offerings are all inferior - they are heavier,
have less vertical screen dimension and worse resolution.

--
Johan KULLSTAM

Old 12-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Johan Kullstam put forth on 12/29/2010 11:25 PM:

> Good for you. My gripe is that one can no longer choose. It's
> shortscreen or nothing.
>
> I had an old thinkpad t42 with a 14" 1440x1050 and it rocked. It
> weighed only 4.5 lbs even with cd drive. For me, it was an optimal size
> and weight. The current offerings are all inferior - they are heavier,
> have less vertical screen dimension and worse resolution.

You're a member of a super-minority Johan. The majority of the
marketplace wants wide screen, which is why you're finding little or
nothing else but widescreen. Even the little toy netbook computers all
have widescreen LCDs. That's very telling about the market.

--
Stan

Old 12-30-2010, 05:21 AM
John Jason Jordan

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 00:25:19 -0500
Johan Kullstam <kullstj_ml@verizon.net> dijo:

>Good for you. My gripe is that one can no longer choose. It's
>shortscreen or nothing.
>
>I had an old thinkpad t42 with a 14" 1440x1050 and it rocked. It
>weighed only 4.5 lbs even with cd drive. For me, it was an optimal
>size and weight. The current offerings are all inferior - they are
>heavier, have less vertical screen dimension and worse resolution.

Your complaint is exactly the same as a local friend of mine, a
long-time Linux user who also used a T42 for a long time. He actually
retrofitted a tall screen onto a (I believe) T61, which he runs at
2000xsomething. I'll forward your e-mail to him so he can respond with
instructions, if he wants. He probably will respond, as he is at least
as annoyed by widescreens as you are.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:05 AM
Doug

Johan Kullstam put forth on 12/29/2010 11:25 PM:

Good for you. My gripe is that one can no longer choose. It's
shortscreen or nothing.

I had an old thinkpad t42 with a 14" 1440x1050 and it rocked. It
weighed only 4.5 lbs even with cd drive. For me, it was an optimal size
and weight. The current offerings are all inferior - they are heavier,
have less vertical screen dimension and worse resolution.

You're a member of a super-minority Johan. The majority of the
marketplace wants wide screen, which is why you're finding little or
nothing else but widescreen. Even the little toy netbook computers all
have widescreen LCDs. That's very telling about the market.

I don't think so. But the whole bunch of us who have no use for
wide-screen
have been basically ignored by the vendors. I don't have room for a 23"
wide-

screen that would have the same screen height as my 19" old-fashioned
monitor. How many people watch movies on their computers? That's
what TVs are for. Just before the "standard" monitors disappeared, I bought
another.

Well, let's face it--the mfrs sell a lot more TVs than computer monitors, so
that's what they make. The computing public be damned!

--doug

Archive: 4D1C2F50.9040102@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D1C2F50.9040102@optonline.net

Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Bob Proulx

Johan Kullstam wrote:
> I had an old thinkpad t42 with a 14" 1440x1050 and it rocked. It
> weighed only 4.5 lbs even with cd drive. For me, it was an optimal size
> and weight. The current offerings are all inferior - they are heavier,
> have less vertical screen dimension and worse resolution.

And that is exactly why I am still using my IBM ThinkPad T42 with
exactly that configuration. It does everything I need a laptop to do.
It has the best keyboard of any laptop I have ever used. But mostly
because all of the newer machines are less suitable. It is hard to
"upgrade" to something that isn't as good.

Bob

Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 30. 12. 2010 06:58:42 je Stan Hoeppner napisal(a):

Johan Kullstam put forth on 12/29/2010 11:25 PM:

> Good for you. My gripe is that one can no longer choose. It's
> shortscreen or nothing.
>
> I had an old thinkpad t42 with a 14" 1440x1050 and it rocked. It
> weighed only 4.5 lbs even with cd drive. For me, it was an optimal
size
> and weight. The current offerings are all inferior - they are
heavier,

> have less vertical screen dimension and worse resolution.

You're a member of a super-minority Johan. The majority of the
marketplace wants wide screen, which is why you're finding little or
nothing else but widescreen. Even the little toy netbook computers
all

have widescreen LCDs. That's very telling about the market.

--
Stan

<personal and highly biased rant>
I would go with George Carlin here: When you see how stupid an average
consumer is, consider that half of them are even more stupid than that.

The majority of the marketplace doesn't "want" widescreen any more that
it "wants" Digital Rights Management -- and yet it gets both rammed
down its throat (or, sometimes, up some other orifice). Why is that?
It's because they're too stupid (or careless) to really know what they
want. Vendors, on the other hand, know *extremely* well what they want
(to cut costs, increase production volume, increase market share etc.).

It's not hard to imagine what happens when the twain -- an extremely
cunning and an extremely careless subject -- meet: it happens on a
daily basis, and it's called "the marketplace". The place you go to
when you want to get royally scr***d.

In an ideal world, you could counter that simply by being a well
informed consumer instead of a careless one. In the real world,
however, everything has already been decided in advance: usually, by
the vendors and by the most careless and most uninformed -- the
majority.