Old 12-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Felix Natter

Default Problems with NVIDIA Driver: "Unable to validate any modes"

hello,

I have a GeForce2 MX200:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11DDR [GeForce2
MX200] (rev b2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

The nouveau driver (squeeze) doesn't work, so I am trying the NVIDIA
(commercial) driver.

The GeForce2 MX200 seems to be supported by the 96.43.xx legacy NVIDIA
driver (information from: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html).

So I used this guide:
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
to install the NVIDIA driver with VERSION=-legacy-96xx the debian way
Kernel:
Linux localhost 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Fri Dec 10 16:12:40 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
Debian version: squeeze from Thursday (updated from lenny on 2010-12-23).

=> the problem is that although I have a 1280x1024 TFT monitor (plugged
in via VGA cable, it doesn't have a DVI port) I only get 640x480
resolution. From Xorg.0.log:

[...]
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce2 MX 100/200 at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
=> seems the graphics card is recognized
[...]
(WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "1280x1024"; removing.
(WW) NVIDIA(0):
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to validate any modes; falling back to the default mode
(WW) NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select".
(WW) NVIDIA(0):
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 640 x 480
[...]

I also tried to set UseEDID to FALSE (that's why the current Xorg.0.log
which is attached is different from the one attached).
The problem is most likely the monitor: it is fairly old and is attached
via VGA.

xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log are attached.

I am grateful for any hint,
Thanks in advance,
--
Felix Natter

Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:45:58 -0500 (EST), Felix Natter wrote:

> => the problem is that although I have a 1280x1024 TFT monitor (plugged
> in via VGA cable, it doesn't have a DVI port) I only get 640x480
> resolution.

I would start by keeping things as simple as possible. Based on the
kernel you are running, I'm assuming that you are running Squeeze.
Use an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that looks like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Just those four lines are all that should be necessary.
If that doesn't work, post the contents of Xorg.0.log from that
start-up.

I would be surprised if any TFT monitor does not support EDID.
EDID came out in 1994, and virtually all monitors manufactured
since then have it.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 12-24-2010, 04:46 PM

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 09:39:13 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:45:58 -0500 (EST), Felix Natter wrote:
> >
> > => the problem is that although I have a 1280x1024 TFT monitor
> > (plugged in via VGA cable, it doesn't have a DVI port) I only get
> > 640x480 resolution.
>
> I would start by keeping things as simple as possible. Based on the
> kernel you are running, I'm assuming that you are running Squeeze.
> Use an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that looks like this:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Driver "nvidia"
> EndSection
>
> Just those four lines are all that should be necessary.
> If that doesn't work, post the contents of Xorg.0.log from that
> start-up.
>
> I would be surprised if any TFT monitor does not support EDID.
> EDID came out in 1994, and virtually all monitors manufactured
> since then have it.

doesn't mean it read correctly :-) That's the problem with my monitor.

I have had this "invalid" mode problem also.

I had to fix it using a hardcoded modeline in the config file.

Unfortunately for the OP, I can't remember how I determined the
modeline, but I seem to remember simply cutting and pasting it from the
auto-detect modelines.

I pasted in a modeline X claimed wouldn't work, and it worked
perfectly.

Brian