Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Tool to perform same task over several hosts at same time. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/468954-tool-perform-same-task-over-several-hosts-same-time.html)

Roman Khomasuridze 12-24-2010 12:46 PM

Tool to perform same task over several hosts at same time.
 
Hello kind people,

I am interested if there is any tool to execute same task over several hosts
I'm receiving over 10 Asterisk/Debian servers from old admin, and I'll need to perform routine tasks on them, like upgrading modifying conf files etc..


I'm aware of capistrano that might suite my needs, but it's written in Ruby, and I would like to avoid it , because most of servers are quite resource limited.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.





Regards
--
Roman

julio 12-24-2010 01:20 PM

Tool to perform same task over several hosts at same time.
 
El vie, 24-12-2010 a las 17:46 +0400, Roman Khomasuridze escribió:
> Hello kind people,
>
> I am interested if there is any tool to execute same task over several
> hosts

Maybe taktuk.

taktuk - efficient, large scale, parallel remote execution of commands

Description: efficient, large scale, parallel remote execution of
commands TakTuk allows to execute commands in parallel on a potentially
large set of remote nodes (using ssh to connect to each node)

Regards

JulHer

12-24-2010 02:21 PM

Tool to perform same task over several hosts at same time.
 
Le 14967ième jour après Epoch,
julio écrivait:

> El vie, 24-12-2010 a las 17:46 +0400, Roman Khomasuridze escribió:
>> Hello kind people,
>>
>> I am interested if there is any tool to execute same task over several
>> hosts
>
> Maybe taktuk.

Or cssh from the clusterssh package.

Aaron Toponce 12-24-2010 02:26 PM

Tool to perform same task over several hosts at same time.
 
On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 04:21:00PM +0100, François TOURDE wrote:
> Or cssh from the clusterssh package.

I was also going to recommend the clusterssh package. That has made my
day-to-day administration of 300+ SSH servers an absolute joy.

--
. o . o . o . . o o . . . o .
. . o . o o o . o . o o . . o
o o o . o . . o o o o . o o o

Bob Proulx 12-25-2010 02:27 AM

Tool to perform same task over several hosts at same time.
 
Aaron Toponce wrote:
> François TOURDE wrote:
> > Or cssh from the clusterssh package.

Or look at dsh.

Description: dancer's shell, or distributed shell
Executes specified command on a group of computers using remote shell
methods such as rsh or ssh.
.
dsh can parallelise job submission using several algorithms, such as
using
fan-out method or opening as much connections as possible, or
using a window of connections at one time.
It also supports "interactive mode" for interactive maintenance of
remote hosts.
.
This tool is handy for administration of PC clusters, and multiple
hosts.
.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/dsh.html

> I was also going to recommend the clusterssh package. That has made my
> day-to-day administration of 300+ SSH servers an absolute joy.

Not to knock cssh, I am familiar with it and use it too for a small
number of hosts, but how do you handle 300 open terminal windows on
the display all at once? (Before it gets to that point I start
scripting things.)

Bob

12-26-2010 09:34 AM

Tool to perform same task over several hosts at same time.
 
Le 14968ième jour après Epoch,
Bob Proulx écrivait:

> Not to knock cssh, I am familiar with it and use it too for a small
> number of hosts, but how do you handle 300 open terminal windows on
> the display all at once? (Before it gets to that point I start
> scripting things.)

Maybe with grouping servers on themes/usages... You can use some "a=b c
d e" syntax on the .csshrc file, to open "b c d e" when you type "cssh
a"

Another way is to use a massive multi headed video card, but I agree
it's not so cheap and easy ;)

Roman Khomasuridze 12-27-2010 09:03 AM

Tool to perform same task over several hosts at same time.
 
thaks for suggestions,

I'll look at dsh and cssh, though from what i've read I prefer dsh, but i'll give css chance..


Regards
------------
Roman

Tommy Bongaerts 12-28-2010 08:40 AM

Tool to perform same task over several hosts at same time.
 
On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 08:26:55AM -0700, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 04:21:00PM +0100, François TOURDE wrote:
> > Or cssh from the clusterssh package.
>
> I was also going to recommend the clusterssh package. That has made my
> day-to-day administration of 300+ SSH servers an absolute joy.

Same here. I only discovered this amazing tool a couple of weeks ago,
but it is already one of my favorites. Great program to perform
routine maintenance on serveral hosts in parallel.

--
Abort, Retry, Fail?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101228094032.GA2900@drumscum.be">http://lists.debian.org/20101228094032.GA2900@drumscum.be


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:19 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.